Need Help!!!!!

Fearsback

Currently I am booked on the NOS on December 9th, 2010 and did not purchase the insurance. Unfortunately a family member has become extremely ill and is in critical condition. I spoke to RCL last night to see what my options would be in regards to switching to a later cruise, transfering to another person, cancelling, etc. The first person I spoke to pretty much told me I had no options, the second person told me that I have the ability to transfer the names on the tickets aslong as it is atleast 1 day out. She said there is no way to transfer to a later cruise but they might be able to get me a cruise credit which will be significantly less then what I paid for the cruise. If anybody has any experience or input I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance for your help.

Fearsback - So sorry to hear about your family member. With luck their condition will improve over the next week and you will not have to make the difficult decision about canceling your cruise.

If you know of anyone who would like to go in your place - offer them a great discount.

I have never bought trip insurance until my upcoming Freedom cruise. Two reasons- cost of the cruise itself and the health of my BIL. I hope not to need it - but I feel better having it.

The option to transfer is only for 1 person. At least one person must remain on the ticket.

I'm not unsympathetic but you didn't buy insurance. They are giving you a bit of hope for something. If they allowed you to tansfer to gave you a complete credit why would anyone buy insurance?

You have already been told what your options are. That they even offered anything in a cruise credit is an exception to their policy.

I am sorry for your family members' illness but as stated above: if they just gave you all of your money back, why would anyone ever insure themselves?

My family and I were supposed to sail on the Oasis last month. Both my SIL and I had medical issues and there was no way we could take the cruise.

Since I bought insurance my plan was to cancel the trip and file with the insurance co. When I called RCCL the person I talked to suggested to move our reservation to a future date. He said we would lose $500 per each of our three cabins but we would be reimbursed by insurance anyway.

We decided to take an Oasis cruise this March when DD and DS are on their Spring break from college. I was pleasently surprised that they waived the pentalty fee because the Spring break cruise is more expensive then the one we booked for March. I have to pay the difference in price but I will be on the OASIS!!!!!! Plus since my reservation was moved to another date I am keeping my OBC that I recieved when I booked the first cruise and he was able to transfer my insurance!

They best part is instead of having three cabins scattered around the ship we were able to book three balcany cabins next to each other!:D

I did this just a month ago. I don't know if they rules changed again or if there was divine intervention, but anyway I am happy with my outcome.

Leesburg, rare occasions like yours do not happen all that often and are usually the case when someone is just feeling generous. The fact is, people should not rely on the cruiseline to waive penalty regardless of the reason. Buy insurance if you cannot afford to lose the cost of your cruise.

leesbrug, how far in advance did you call RCL to cancel? I believe the farther you are from your sailing date the better chance you have of actually transferring your booking...

It was about two weeks before we were to set sail.

Both my son in law and I had to have emergency surgery the same week.

All I told the guy at RCCL was that I had to cancel our cruise due to medical issues. He was the one that suggested that we move our reservation to another week, I fully intended to cancel and recoup the cost from insurance.

We had three ocean view balaconies, maybe they figured they could resell them.

I was floored when he told me I wasn't going to be charged the penalty fee because the new cruise was more expensive. Not that it mattered because the insurance would have reimbursed me the penalty fee.

Archived