Pearl Review Nov 14 - Nov 21, 2010

C Cruise Dude

Great Report! I feel like Im on a cruise right now! ts making me more excited about my January cruise on the Jewel! Im looking forward to more. OH great pictures too!:D

Enjoying your review and loving the pictures. Only 6 more monthes. :D

This is great C Cruise Dude. Keep it coming!!

Thank you! Glad to do it. Next stop, Tortola, British Virgin Islands.:)

Do you mind if I ask where the mini-golf is located? I didn't remember that being on the Pearl. We are sailing on her March 27th and are excited about the rock climbing and bowling, which are features the Jewel did not have.

Good question. After seeing your question, I looked for deck plans and even found a site that said that there is no mini golf course. I'm sure that after I passed the gentleman in the golf cage, I passed a senior lady and two very young kids in a small course. I remember asking where she got the clubs and she said at one of the bars (near the pool, I think). It was not far from the cage.

DRange.jpg

I'm sure that the golf cage was near the rock wall which was above the Great Outdoors which was on deck 12 (so maybe 13 aft).

Thanks!

I follow the Pearl on a couple of different webcams, so I was probably watching your ship while in Miami and at these different ports. We are headed out on a Western in March (did a Western last year as well) but I L-O-V-E St. Thomas just like you do. I told hubby next time we definitely need to do an Eastern.

Thanks for the pics. I can't wait!!!

Thanks!

I follow the Pearl on a couple of different webcams, so I was probably watching your ship while in Miami and at these different ports. We are headed out on a Western in March (did a Western last year as well) but I L-O-V-E St. Thomas just like you do. I told hubby next time we definitely need to do an Eastern.

Thanks for the pics. I can't wait!!!

I have never been on a Western Itinerary. I'm planning on sailing the Sun in March, my first Western. :D:D

This is a FANTASTIC report and your efforts are greatly appreciated!

The efforts of a golf pro might be greatly appeciated by that poor gentleman at the driving net. The set up exactly matches a composite of the pictures of what "not to do" from 30 years of Golf Digest.:p

This is a FANTASTIC report and your efforts are greatly appreciated!

The efforts of a golf pro might be greatly appeciated by that poor gentleman at the driving net. The set up exactly matches a composite of the pictures of what "not to do" from 30 years of Golf Digest.:p

Funny you should mention that. There was a PGA golf pro on the Pearl who gave, if I recall correctly, a free workshop on that cruise. And thanks. :)

Thank you for your review...we are taking a family cruise Thanksgiving 2011 and are debating between Royal Caribbean Freedom and Norwegian Pearl. None of us has ever cruised on NCL, but we have done RCL and most recently Crown Princess. Prices are much less on NCL than other cruises, especially on a holiday week. Look forward to reading more to help us make our decision.

Thank you for your review...we are taking a family cruise Thanksgiving 2011 and are debating between Royal Caribbean Freedom and Norwegian Pearl. None of us has ever cruised on NCL, but we have done RCL and most recently Crown Princess. Prices are much less on NCL than other cruises, especially on a holiday week. Look forward to reading more to help us make our decision.

Your welcome. That would be a difficult decision. The Flow Rider on the Freedom is on my bucket list. The lower cost of the Pearl would likely win out for me. Either way you win. You get a great cruise. I was and still am a great Carnival fan but NCL is winning be over. I love the latitudes rewards program. It you purchase a reward while on cruise for $250, NCl gives you $100 back to use immediately. The certificate is still valued at $250 for a down payment (per cabin) when you book within 4 years. They are transferable so you can give them as gifts. I used one that I purchased on my last NCL cruise for this one which I booked 3 days before sailing. I keep buying these things so they keep me coming back. You can't beat that. :D

It was exciting to visit Tortola which is in the British Virgin Islands (BVI). On each of my cruises I have returned to some familiar places and added one new to my travels. My cruise on the Carnival Dream, I returned to Nassau and St. Thomas but added St. Maarten. On the NCL Sky cruise I returned to Nassau and added Freeport and Great Stirrup Cay. We were ported next to the P&O Azura which carried UK cruisers. Tortola was very much like St. Thomas in that they have narrow roads that climb high into the mountains and back down to the beach.

I could not believe how beautiful the water and landscape was, talk about paradise. I was approached by a guy on the beach trying to sell me the use of a deck chair for the day and the security of my goods while I was in the water. I think it was $5. I turned him down and just chose to sit on the sand after a dip in water. I had a chat with my British neighbors about their homes and sailing. I also met more people from the Pearl. It’s interesting how you can be confined with so many on the ship but don’t get aquainted until you’re on excursion. I have experienced that on other sailings.

DSCF1950.jpg

Video3500000-01.jpg

Beach Excursion on the Pearl

DSCF2004.jpg

DSCF1973.jpg

DSCF1979.jpg

Video3500112-24.jpg

Video3800037-04.jpg

DSCF1987.jpg

DSCF1981.jpg

Video of Beach on Tortola

The only drawback to the experience was with the transportation. The excursion provided a transport to the beach and you were given a ticket for a bottle of water and a ride back. When I returned at the appointed time, the driver had a full vehicle and said that he would return to pick up myself and some other people from the ship. I waited for some time with a few others but it was getting close to the time required to be back on the ship (2:30pm) so I and others paid the $6 to another taxi to take us back. I found that very annoying.

DSCF2011.jpg

There were some tents outside the cruise port with many items for purchase. Unfortunately I brought little cash with me. The currency that is accepted in Tortola is American dollars. I was told by the vender at the beach that this was the only currency that he would accept. When I arrived I asked a woman what currency was accepted and she said that she didn’t know. I didn’t realize until she spoke that she was British. She was not pleased to hear my findings.

DSCF1963.jpg

DSCF1949.jpg

You know how you get ambushed by the photographers when you leave the ship. I like to surprise them. I was the one with the surprise, I thought that she was with NCL but she was with P&O. Still fun!

DSCF2030.jpg

The Azura and the Pearl side by side in Tortola

DSCF2033.jpg

The end of a great visit. I hope to return someday.

Ive never done the beach at Tortola! We always do our souvenir shopping there. We will be there in January-maybe I have to book a beach excursion! Was it worth it? If it was, what was the name of the excursion if you dont mind?:)

I'm sorry but I don't remember the specific name for the excursion. It was early in the morning (9:30am) and the least expensive if there were others offered. It was worth every penny. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Have a great time in January.:D

I'm sorry but I don't remember the specific name for the excursion. It was early in the morning (9:30am) and the least expensive if there were others offered. It was worth every penny. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Have a great time in January.:D

Thanks! Im going to try to convince DH to do another tour! I cant wait to go!:)

Thanks for the brilliant review CCD. I really enjoyed reading it.

I noticed that you have sailed on both the Pearl and the Sky and would be interested in your views about the differences in the ships.

The only NCL we have sailed on is the Jewel we enjoyed very much.

We are planning a Pananma transit in 2011. The Pearl and the Sky sail from LA a day apart. The itinerary is more or less the same although the Sky finishes in Key West and then Tampa and the Pearl ends in Miami. The price of the Sky is about £250 cheaper for the Sky (sorry that will be about $400). Although this might be something to do with flights from the UK as I have been quoted an all in fly/cruise price.

Any comments most welcome.

Thanks

Mandy

Thanks for the brilliant review CCD. I really enjoyed reading it.

I noticed that you have sailed on both the Pearl and the Sky and would be interested in your views about the differences in the ships.

The only NCL we have sailed on is the Jewel we enjoyed very much.

We are planning a Pananma transit in 2011. The Pearl and the Sky sail from LA a day apart. The itinerary is more or less the same although the Sky finishes in Key West and then Tampa and the Pearl ends in Miami. The price of the Sky is about £250 cheaper for the Sky (sorry that will be about $400). Although this might be something to do with flights from the UK as I have been quoted an all in fly/cruise price.

Any comments most welcome.

Thanks

Mandy

Mandy, when I sailed on the Sky, it was a 4 night cruise out of Miami to the Bahamas. Itinerary was Miami, Freeport, Nassau, and Great Stirrup Cay (NCL’s private island), Miami. Without looking at statistics of the two ships, the Pearl seems larger and more people on the ship. One area that is really noticeable was the Cafes on the two ships. The Pearl’s Cafe offered much more than the Sky. Added features like the bowling alley, rock wall, adult only pool, would persuade me to sail the Pearl over the Sky. When I booked the Pearl, I was offered the same type of cabin on the Sky for $119 versus the $409 that I paid a few months before (because they were trying to fill the ship before sailing). The Pearl cost several hundred more but I think it was worth it. I also wanted to experience something new; I avoid sailing the same ship twice. I would book the Pearl again, of the four ships that I have sailed on. I can’t say that of the others.

Thanks for that. I have done some further research and had almost come to the same conclusion - so the Pearl it is.

Just glad that we sailed the Jewel in October as I feel so sorry for the poor people who have had their cruise delayed.

Thanks again

Mandy

Thank you for such a great review. We sail on the Pearl in 5 weeks on the same schedule that you sailed on. We have only ever been to St. Thomas and will hopefully go over to St. John. Your pictures where wonderful and helpful.

Thanks

Yes thank you so much for the review!!! We kind of last minute decided to go on a cruise next month and booked the Pearl 2 days ago for a January trip!!!!! Not a lot of time to prepare, but at least I don't have to wait long! We will have this exact same itinerary so this is so helpful :)

I haven't been on a cruise in 20 years! I know a lot has changed, but my biggest question is internet service - clearly you are posting this as you go, so is internet service free? 20 years ago there really was no "internet" to worry about! LOL

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but as I said, we are doing this last minute and it's been a looooooong time.

JRJONES1990

SS Dolphin - Dolphin Cruise Lines - 1984 (with my parents)

NCL SS Norway - 1985 (with my parents)

RCI Nordic Empress - May 1991 (honeymoon)

NCL Norweigian Pearl - January 2011

Yes thank you so much for the review!!! We kind of last minute decided to go on a cruise next month and booked the Pearl 2 days ago for a January trip!!!!! Not a lot of time to prepare, but at least I don't have to wait long! We will have this exact same itinerary so this is so helpful :)

I haven't been on a cruise in 20 years! I know a lot has changed, but my biggest question is internet service - clearly you are posting this as you go, so is internet service free? 20 years ago there really was no "internet" to worry about! LOL

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but as I said, we are doing this last minute and it's been a looooooong time.

JRJONES1990

SS Dolphin - Dolphin Cruise Lines - 1984 (with my parents)

NCL SS Norway - 1985 (with my parents)

RCI Nordic Empress - May 1991 (honeymoon)

NCL Norweigian Pearl - January 2011

Actually, I have been writing this since I returned. I had the unfortunate need to contact someone via internet while I was on the ship. I had the option of paying $55 plus for like 100 minutes or (as I did) pay 75 cents a minute to take care of the task. There is an activation fee the first time, I think $3. I don't recommend it unless you have to. Friends that I met were using their phone service to text their friends back home. It might have been cheaper. :D

Actually, I have been writing this since I returned. I had the unfortunate need to contact someone via internet while I was on the ship. I had the option of paying $55 plus for like 100 minutes or (as I did) pay 75 cents a minute to take care of the task. There is an activation fee the first time, I think $3. I don't recommend it unless you have to. Friends that I met were using their phone service to text their friends back home. It might have been cheaper. :D

gotcha! Thank you!! I just assumed you were doing it as you went, but I had heard that internet was *very* expensive so I wasn't sure. I will check with our cell phone carrier on the texting rates :) I need to be able to communicate at least once or twice back home while we are away and I don't want to spend a fortune :)

Archived