computer questions

AntonJ

My husband will be bringing his laptop when we sail on the Navigator next month. Does anyone have information on how we would connect and how much it costs? Is there something to pick up somewhere? Any information you have would be helpful.

Thanks

If the Navigator has "cyber cabin" facilities, you can pick up cables, a new phone, and easy-to-follow instructions at the Guest Relations desk. We were on the Adventure and the week cost $100. It is more on longer cruises. FWIW, I was unhappy with the service. It was painfully slow and I just quit using it after a while. I have broadband access at home and am probably just unaccustomed to the slower dial-up connections.

--Judy

I was thinking about bringing the laptop to the trip, but to have a slow connection is giving me second thoughts. The fact of connecting with a hard token and replicating Lotus Notes is going to be a big pain.

It would be nice to come back to work without 100 emails in the inbox!

Unfortunatly we do need to check our emails and would rather use the laptop in the room as opposed to the computer stations. I realize it's REALLY slow but we're willing to still purchase the time. I guess I'm still trying to get a price.

Was on Navigator in Nov. They had just rolled out WIFI access in many parts of the Ship and I paid 50.00 unlimited as I had a Wireless card in my laptop and did not need to rent one. There were many different ideas onboard about the proper pricing for me....but in the end they honored the 50.00 charge for the cruise. Alternatively there is CYBERCABIN ...argggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!

Does anyone know the cost for having your laptop connected in your cabin on the Jewel of the Seas? We will be on" back to back" cruises in May[2 weeks each] and I don"t want to have to use the internet cafe......they charge 50 cents a min. Thanks for any info!!!

We'll be on the Navigator and wonder if the $100 charge for 7 days includes unlimited minutes. We have a wireless card in our laptop so we don't know which way to go. We'll probably use the computer in the room.

Was on Navigator in Nov. They had just rolled out WIFI access in many parts of the Ship and I paid 50.00 unlimited as I had a Wireless card in my laptop and did not need to rent one. There were many different ideas onboard about the proper pricing for me....but in the end they honored the 50.00 charge for the cruise. Alternatively there is CYBERCABIN ...argggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!

You paid $50 for unlimited use?! I wish I had that! I have a wireless card and my new laptop had intel mobil centrinio. I hope they have that $50 unlimtied plan still.

Not very computer savy with technology, but instead of bringing my lap top, which contraption can I purchase to upload and store my pictures on from my digital camera? Some are able to actually be viewed over the TV as a slide show. This is the main reason why we bring our laptop, but rahter eliminate the access baggage if at all possible. Need someone's brain.

Thank you,

Cindy

AntonJ, yes, you get unlimited minutes through the CyberCabin program. You have to pay by the minute through the on-board Internet Cafes.

Oscarmoraz (Cindy), the "contraption" you need to download photos from your camera to your laptop will vary from camera to camera. You will need to find out what is available for your camera although most cameras will either have a special cable that can download from your camera to the PC or a docking station/recharger. Once on your laptop, you can show the photos in a slideshow on your laptop using some software package like the HP Image Zone or HP Director. Unless you have some sort of connector that allows you to use the TV as a monitor for your laptop, you won't be able to do the slideshow directly on the TV.

If you have a Camcorder, you can connect your camcorder to the RV through the video/VCR connectors and preview the video on the TV.

So, what type of camera do you have? (Brand, Model)

Hi Snoopy,

Thank you for your help. I have the USB cable..just trying to locate another type of contraption (maybe an IPOD?) which I can upload the pictures from my camera to, so I will not have to bring my laptop on the next cruise. Just not sure what the name of the item is I need to successfully upload my pictures to from my camera.

I am sorry for not explaining myself. I am not even sure I know what I am talking about has been invented yet....lol. But if you do know of something please feel free to let me know.

Thank You,

C

Hi Snoopy,

Thank you for your help. I have the USB cable..just trying to locate another type of contraption (maybe an IPOD?) which I can upload the pictures from my camera to, so I will not have to bring my laptop on the next cruise. Just not sure what the name of the item is I need to successfully upload my pictures to from my camera.

I am sorry for not explaining myself. I am not even sure I know what I am talking about has been invented yet....lol. But if you do know of something please feel free to let me know.

Thank You,

C

Not sure if this is what your are looking for. There are devices that have a card reader for the memory card of your camera and either a hard disk drive or a CD-burner built in to store the pictures from your camera. They are cheaper, lighter and smaller than a laptop and an alternative to bring along if you don´t want to schlep around your laptop.

Hi Snoopy,

Thank You,

C

Cindy, not a problem...even if it wasn't the right answer for you, sometimes it will the right answer for someone else. That's the great thing about a forum that thousands of us share.

Regarding downloading your files, I think you'll find it cheaper to just buy another SmartCard memory card for your camera. I found one that was 512MB for about $40 at Sam's club before we cruised and that allows me roughly 1000 photos. If I increase the density of my photos to high density it is still about 500 photos. Add that to the smaller cards that I have and that is far more pictures than I needed. And the 1-GB size (double the 512MB size) was only about $65-70. Then you don't need to download them until you get home. And the best part is that it's only about 1" x 1" and weighs slightly more than a quarter. Talk about small and compact!

I purchased a 512MB card and didn't use the whole thing on my 7-day/6-night JOS W Caribbean cruise. I took about 340 photos. Ckrobin went hog-wild (I think) and she only took 800+ photos on her cruise, so this should solve your problems.

Thank you for everyone’s input and great ideas! Isn’t it funny how the obvious does not sometimes compute…lol.

Great idea DC Snoopy~ so simple…lol. I presently have 2 -256mb memory cards. So off to Sam’s I go. I have to laugh at myself, as this was the obvious solution!

MadforCruising- yes what you described is what I am looking for. What would I put in as far as a search within Google? Do you have any suggestions?

I have a Canon S400 with 4.0 pixels. Has anyone tried the camera, which send the pictures instantly to email? I was thinking about looking into this but if it’s not worth it don’t want tot waste my time.

I appreciate everyone’s help!

C

MadforCruising- yes what you described is what I am looking for. What would I put in as far as a search within Google? Do you have any suggestions?

C

That´s a tough question for me as I´m not sure what to put in in English.

I tried a few options but haven´t been very successful. I only found one device fitting and that´s a CD-Burner with a built in Card reader. I´m sure there must be others around but I didn´t find them.

The one I´m talking about is called Mobile Datasafe. If you put this into Google you´ll find many links. However it´s produced by a german company named Hama and I don´t think they sell in the US. However the google search brought up some UK links. Perhaps it´s possible to get it shipped if you are interested.

I also tried it on Amazon.com but they had it only on the German Amazon site Amazon.de.

Sorry this is probably not very helpful, but unfortunately all I got.

you CAN use an iPod for this, but you would need to buy an accesory. One option is called the Belkin iPod media reader and it supports CompactFlash (Type 1 and 2), SmartMedia, Secure Digital (SD), Memory Stick, or MultiMediaCard (MMC) - costs $70 on the apple website. Another option is the Belkin Digital Camera link for ipod and it connects directly to your camera (using the camera's USB cord) - it costs $50 on the apple website.

(Media Reader - http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70702/wo/gF3wCuvPTdwe2kvQ0tY1y9NxYqO/6.0.0.11.1.0.6.9.21.0.1.1.1.1.0.1.0.1

Digital Camera link - http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70702/wo/gF3wCuvPTdwe2kvQ0tY1y9NxYqO/8.0.0.11.1.0.6.9.21.0.1.0.1.1.1.1.0.3

)

Of course, this also means you need to have an iPod :rolleyes:

(You don't need a PHOTO iPod for this, ANY iPod with dock connector is fine.)

I have a 40GB clickwheel, but haven't bought the accesory yet - it used to be more expensive... now that you reminded me I think I'll buy one before my next (which is also my first) cruise!

Let me know if this helps!

you CAN use an iPod for this, but you would need to buy an accesory. One option is called the Belkin iPod media reader and it supports CompactFlash (Type 1 and 2), SmartMedia, Secure Digital (SD), Memory Stick, or MultiMediaCard (MMC) - costs $70 on the apple website. Another option is the Belkin Digital Camera link for ipod and it connects directly to your camera (using the camera's USB cord) - it costs $50 on the apple website.

(Media Reader - http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70702/wo/gF3wCuvPTdwe2kvQ0tY1y9NxYqO/6.0.0.11.1.0.6.9.21.0.1.1.1.1.0.1.0.1

Digital Camera link - http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70702/wo/gF3wCuvPTdwe2kvQ0tY1y9NxYqO/8.0.0.11.1.0.6.9.21.0.1.0.1.1.1.1.0.3

)

Of course, this also means you need to have an iPod :rolleyes:

(You don't need a PHOTO iPod for this, ANY iPod with dock connector is fine.)

I have a 40GB clickwheel, but haven't bought the accesory yet - it used to be more expensive... now that you reminded me I think I'll buy one before my next (which is also my first) cruise!

Let me know if this helps!

Hi Velcro951,

The liknks you supplied timed out..but thats ok. I a, browsing the site now. Trying to educate myself! Based on your knowledge, which IPOD would be the best, since I do not need the PHOTO Ipod? What would be the difference between an Ipod and Photo Ipod?

Thanks for your help!

C

Hi Velcro951,

The liknks you supplied timed out..but thats ok. I a, browsing the site now. Trying to educate myself! Based on your knowledge, which IPOD would be the best, since I do not need the PHOTO Ipod? What would be the difference between an Ipod and Photo Ipod?

Thanks for your help!

C

Sorry about the links, you can go to apple's website and just do a search for the accesories I mentioned.

Which iPod would be best? It really depends on what you intend to use it for most. I can't really do justice to the advantages of having a photo iPod because I don't have one - but the idea is that (after syncing with your computer) you can view pictures on the color screen - you can also connect your iPod to a TV and show some kind of slide-show with music playing in the background (which is neat, but again you can't do this on the go - you need to sync with a computer first and format the pictures a certain way, after you've done this only THEN can you view the pix from the iPod). I've heard that at the end of march a new connector will be available for the photo iPod that will allow you to transfer photos from your digi cam directly onto your photo iPod and you would be able to SEE them right away (no need to sync with computer and reformat).

If you're planning to use your iPod for photo needs rather than music, then I guess it might make sense to take a look at the photo iPod. Personally I use mine mostly as a music player AND for file transfer/data storage because it's got such a huge amount of memory (I have the 40GB). It's a personal preference thing - read some reviews, decide what you want out of it, and then make the choice.

(In terms of memory, again it's up to you, if you'll have only photos on there, you don't actually need THAT much memory - music and other types of files take up more space - for example I store some video clip files on my iPod).

I just bought the Belkin Digital Camera Link for my clickwheel and I'm pretty happy with it. I have a slightly older model digi cam that stores its video clips in a different folder than its photos, thus the DCL doesn't tranfer the video files over. This is a bit annoying, but I knew there was a good chance this would occur before I bought the DCL. There's also a good chance I'll be upgrading to a new digital camera in the not too far future and then I won't have to worry about that...

Let me know if you have other questions

(you can also email me: v8splash91 [at] hotmail [dot] com)

I just went to check the current iPod prices - considering the 40GB photo iPod is only $50 more than the 20GB regular iPod, it definitely makes sense to opt for the photo iPod at this point if you're looking at the 20 - 60GB range for memory.

Guess the click-wheel has sort of become obsolete now that photo iPods came onto the scene.

(when I was buying my iPod, photo iPods had not been released yet)

Just remember alot of ships DONOT have cyber cabin nor WIFI..I am sailing on Legend and they have neither..I am bringing my laptop partely so I can compose e-mails and transfer to CD (You need the proper software to do this and be able to read on the computers in Internet Cafe)...once on line in cyber cabin I can copy my e-mail and send..in smaller amount of time that if I composed when paying their on line fee. Hopefully if I get long e-mail from home can reverse the process...that way I hope to keep on line fees down..by using less minutes..I also can play my music and watch a movie and download pics and make movies use my webcam..etc etc...I am going to post a question about VCR? vs DVD and hooking up to TV..does anybody know what the Legend has?thanks ME

In what locations was wi-fi available on the Navigator? Has anyone had any luck getting access in their cabin. We have a corner aft balcony if this matters. We did the cyber cabin thing last time but we hated all of the extra wires that came with it.

Just remember alot of ships DONOT have cyber cabin nor WIFI..I am sailing on Legend and they have neither..I am bringing my laptop partely so I can compose e-mails and transfer to CD (You need the proper software to do this and be able to read on the computers in Internet Cafe)...once on line in cyber cabin I can copy my e-mail and send..in smaller amount of time that if I composed when paying their on line fee. Hopefully if I get long e-mail from home can reverse the process...that way I hope to keep on line fees down..by using less minutes..I also can play my music and watch a movie and download pics and make movies use my webcam..etc etc...I am going to post a question about VCR? vs DVD and hooking up to TV..does anybody know what the Legend has?thanks ME

I´m not quite sure if I understood what you are planning to do. If I understood it correct you plan on writing your emails offline on your notebook, put them on a CD and load the CD into the Computer at the Internet cafe to send them.

You can´t do that as you won´t be able to put any media into the computer at the Internet Cafe onboard. They are only a keyboard and a screen. The Computer itself is locked away.

Thinking about your post again you might be talking about Internet cafe ashore. If this is the case excuse my post. :confused:

Archived