San Juan cruise questions

Solo2

Hi folks!

It looks like I'm going to be booking our first cruise in the morning. But I had a couple of background questions. How far is the San Juan airport (SJU) from the pier (for Princess)? How close is the pier to downtown?

It looks like we'll have about two days budgeted for San Juan itself. Too long? too short? Will we get bored easily?

Thanks and details to come as soon as I get them from the travel agent.

You will love San Juan and for your first trip there - a couple of days is a great introduction.

Book a hotel in Old San Juan - there is so much you can see - just walking around.

Your hotel will probably have tours they can hook you up with. We've been on the Bacardi tour twice - it's well worth the time.

Nothing in San Juan is that far from anything else. Don't worry about how far the port is from the airport, etc. It's not really a factor in any decision you will make. No matter what - you will have to take a cab to the airport from the port - there are cabs readily available everywhere - and for touring - there is a kind of tour bus/public transportation that takes you around and lets you get off and on. (Hopefully, someone else can give you details - I'm fuzzy on this.)

The cruiseline will offer a bus trip to the airport after the cruise. I would still opt for an individual cab ride. If you take a cruiseline bus - you have to wait until the bus is filled before it will leave. If you are one of the first on the bus, that wait may be nearly an hour - not a fun wait.

The cab to the airport may or may not be more expensive - but it sure is quicker and more comfortable.

How exciting - your first cruise. Don't sweat the details - just have fun.

We were on the Golden in Oct. We checked in at the pier, got on the ship to find our cabin, eat, and then got off and took a cab to Old San Juan for the afternoon. I think it was approx $10 each way for a cab. The Golden sails late so time wasn't a big problem.

The pier to airport was $12-15 or so with a tip and didn't take but perhaps 15 to 20 mins even in traffic.

You should have a good time in San Juan!

Archived