Canopy Tour Question

kidfanz

For anyone who has done the Canopy Tour that finishes at Gumbalimba Park. Did you finish actually inside the park, or outside the entrance to it? Would you be able to go to where the monkeys are without passing an admission area? We want to do the Canopy Tour/Tabyana Beach Party through NCL, but would like to stay at the park where it ends just long enough to see and play with the monkeys. Is this possible? They say we would have to purchase both tours, but that would cost our family of six over $800! Or we could purchase the Canopy/Park tour but not get to snorkel at Tabyana(which, according to them is better snorkeling.) Unless there is a way to travel inexpensively from the park to Tabyana area and then get a cab back to ship. Any ideas?

Now I can answer your question...look for the thread about Gumbalimba park, you will have all your questions answered. I would like to do all 3, but it sounds a little hectic. We want to snorkle at Tabyana and don't want to feel rushed.

We did this tour last week. It may be possible if you are one of the first to get your harness on that you would have time to walk around the park a bit before your bus leaves for Tabyana, but we were not so lucky. It took a while for everyone to get harnessed in. And they ran low on Small and Large harnesses, so we had to wait for the first people to get done, unharnessed, and for the harnesses to be driven back up. We were booked in the first group of the day, with other groups behind us, and we weren't slow about getting out of the bus, everything just took time.So maybe if your lucky, you could have time while waiting for the others to come down. This said....we LOVED this tour. I would not miss the snorkeling at Tabana. I wished that I could have stayed there longer, even though the beach itself was crowded, the reef was wonderful. We would not have been able to fit anything else into our day. But....there's always the next cruise to try what you miss on this one.:D

So do I understand that the canopy tour actually ends within Gumbalimba Park, and maybe if we should have to go to the bathroom really bad before the bus leaves for Tabyana, we might be in or very near where the monkeys are? Really my kids would love to see the monkeys and that's about it. Do you think thats possible?

Yes the canopy tour actually ends within Gumbalimba Park, right on the beach. Now they didn't tell us this, and some of the people who did the tour first sat down and bought a beer, thinking that they were at Tabana. Not until they went up to get food were they told that our shuttle busses were up the hill and out the gate. We didn't know that there were monkeys, so I don't know how close they are to the beach, but if you have time, you can explore. It really was a beautiful park, and I wish I could have explored it more. We will be back in a month, so....maybe we will.

Is it possible to video tape your experience while doing the zip line...or are both of your hands too busy? Will they let you wear a backpack so that you can carry the camera from one platform to another and then video your other family members as they come down? Any suggestions?

Both of your hands are busy, so I don't think that you could do this, but I could be wrong. Not sure about the backpack either,we left our stuff in the van. They do take a photo of you that you can purchase for $10. We bought the kids pictures.

I was able to video the Canopy Tour but I was not there under normal circumstances...guest of a friend of the owner. Depends on the guide really. You use one hand to hold on and one to brake so you would have to hold on a video camera at the same time. You would be sitting in a harness so no big deal to hold onto both. The monkeys are up the hill. When you pass over the swinging bridge on the tour they would be to your right. They require a pass so I doubt you can walk up from the beach area. Depends on the tour you book. I would book the Gumbalimba Park tour and the canopy tour together (depending on when the canopy tour starts).

www.gumbalimbapark.com

• 2 weeks later...

My husband and I did the Canopy Tour in January. I took my digital camera, strapped on my wrist, and took pictures of my husband as he zipped toward my perch. He had the camcorder strapped to his wrist and took video of me zipping while he was on the perch. However, with your hands otherwise occupied while you are actually zipping, you are unable to photograph or tape. We have great pictures!

Dee

Archived