Just returned from the Regatta

Archie's Mom

We returned last week from the Regatta's transatlantic crossing from Barcelona to Miami with stops in Tangier, Madeira and Bermuda. It was our first Oceania cruise and a lovely experience. The seas were calm, the weather warm and sunny and the boat and staff absolutely first-class. The wait staff, cruise staff, attendants and bar staff were all gracious, friendly, helpful and reflected very well on the cruise line. I had limited exposure to the spa staff, but my one manicure was fine and the nail technician was well-informed and gracious. I thought the ship was beautiful, elegant and comfortable. I loved the relaxed dress code. The beds were heaven for sure.

I had read less than glowing comments on various message boards, including this one, about both the wireless internet service and the entertainment on the Regatta. However, our experiences in both these areas was great. I will say that the cost of internet service seems very high, much more than we have paid recently on other lines. But, that said, I was really impressed with the access and the speed of internet service. I used an Ipad from my cabin on deck 7 and from every other deck for 14 days and never had a problem with speed. I uploaded and downloaded with the same ease and speed as at home. My husband used his laptop and also had no issues. He was working from the ship without problem. Perhaps a new system has cleared up the old problems.

Since we would never attend a Las Vegas-type show, perhaps we were the target audience for the Oceania's entertainment. We thought the string quartet was very good; the pianist in the bar was first-rate. Two lecturers were on the trip; both were excellent. We were also treated to a Grammy award-winning composer/ Broadway producer on Thanksgiving day who played, sang and told theatre stories. Terrific! The violinist and soprano were also outstanding.

But we did have one significant complaint. The food was mediocre in the terrace cafe and the main dining room. It was just blah at most meals and I saw no creativity in the chef's overall vision for either dining venue. I cannot believe I am writing this, but it all tasted like cafeteria food. On the other hand, we ate 4 times at the specialty restaurants and they were excellent. The beef was fine as was the seafood. But I cannot say that for the other venues. I am not picky, but the ice cream was served almost melted every day and the soup was never hot. The pizza featured sliced hot dogs one day and tuna the next. I did not experience either of these because a leftover is a leftover! Other passengers who had traveled on the line many times in the past commented that something was amiss with the culinary staff and the food. I hope this can be addressed because such a fine line so superior in every other way should offer a top-notch dining experience as well.

We will travel with Oceania again. In fact, we are taking another couple with us on the Marina next year. I look forward to the larger baths although we had no complaints about the small one. We have never spent much time in the concierge lounge on other boats, but I hope that Oceania creates a pleasant and unique one for the Marina. This cruise with Oceania was a travel highlight for my husband and me. I would conclude that with improvement of the dining experience, the line will be the best we have ever experienced.

Thanks for the post. My Wife and I are taking our 1st cruise ever on the Regatta. Miami to San Francisco in April, 2011. I was surprised at the food comment. From what I have heard, something was not functioning on your trip. I'll eat anything but I hope this was a one time experience. We will be in #7061 and am looking foreward to the trip. Ours have all been Elderhostel 50 passengers or less and really enjoy "small" ship cruising. Thanks again for the information.

Welcome fellow Californian. Where?

We have been on 5 O cruises , and think the OP's experience in the dining venues was an exception. I had only one entree I had to send back, a dry pork chop for which there was no applesauce. No big deal, just ordered something else.

I am pretty sure you will enjoy Oceania. Let us know. And if you have any questions, I'd be happy to try to answer. Until we see you on the 26th, have a great holiday season.

Just booked the Oosterdam for back to back r.t. San Diego for John's birthday in Jan. Pretty large ship (1800), but just wanted to get to the warm climate. Wont be O, but better than nothing.

Joanne, the chocoholic

Apparently we were on the same T/A cruise(Nov 13--Nov 27) as Archie's Mom.Pretty much agree with her comments.I thought the food served in the GDR and the Terrace Cafe was good,not great,I expected it to be a little better.The specialty restaurants were outstanding.Best prime rib I have had in a long time.

Great ship and I loved the smiling faces of the crew--made my day.

Archived