The Allure..a short review and thoughts

Since being back, several of my Facebook friends have made the same comments about my trip.

'It's seems too big.' 'I like smaller more intimate ships.' 'Are the lines long with that many people?' 'How can the food be good with so many people to cook for?'

So here are my thoughts..or IMHO

Yes, the ship is big. But, when I was recently on the Noordam, after sailing on the Voyager so many times, I had a few thoughts of "Where is the rest of the ship?"

Remember back to when you took your first balcony? You've never gone back right? Once having a balcony cabin, I don't know anyone that doesn't take another one.

Kinda the same thing with the Allure.

After experiencing the largest cruise ship in the world, it's going to be hard to go back to a smaller ship. Also, this open air aft can really spoil you.

I sailed on the Liberty after the Allure.

I kept thinking, I wonder if RCCL can cut the roof off of this ship? Maybe put her in dry dock. There's no really use for a roof anymore :)

Now for the food. RCCL really isn't known for the best food in the dining room. They haven't changed their dining room menu in years. Maybe a few small changes, but, no major over haul like it desperately needs! They also seemed very short staffed in the Windjammer.

So, if you want better, or finer dining, you must pay for it.

My feeling is, know this, and prepare for it. Figure on spending an additional 100.00 to 165.00 per person for the better dining. That's not really very much for the huge difference in food and service.

Just a few of my quick thoughts...yours are welcomed :)

The bigger the ship, the better for me. I really enjoyed both Oasis and Allure. We will be sailing again on Allure in February 2011.

Big ships aren't for everyone though. I was chatting with a very nice man who told me he is 94 years old and a WW II vet. He told me that no matter where he was on the ship, anywhere he wanted to go was a mile away.

My son, who has sailed Majesty and Navigator, said he just didn't know how he could go back to Majesty after sailing on Allure. He loved both FlowRiders and the Zipline. He says his new bottom line is that, at minimum, a cruise ship must have a Flow Rider.

For me, the major advantage of ALlure is the wonderful entertainment options. RCI did not scrimp in any aspect of the entertainment. I would sail Allure again just to see Blue Planet again and the Ocean Aria Aqua Show.

My daughter-in-law was enchanted with Labadee. Of course, that isn't because of ALlure.

The bigger the ship, the better for me. I really enjoyed both Oasis and Allure. We will be sailing again on Allure in February 2011.

Big ships aren't for everyone though. I was chatting with a very nice man who told me he is 94 years old and a WW II vet. He told me that no matter where he was on the ship, anywhere he wanted to go was a mile away.

My son, who has sailed Majesty and Navigator, said he just didn't know how he could go back to Majesty after sailing on Allure. He loved both FlowRiders and the Zipline. He says his new bottom line is that, at minimum, a cruise ship must have a Flow Rider.

For me, the major advantage of ALlure is the wonderful entertainment options. RCI did not scrimp in any aspect of the entertainment. I would sail Allure again just to see Blue Planet again and the Ocean Aria Aqua Show.

My daughter-in-law was enchanted with Labadee. Of course, that isn't because of ALlure.

I enjoyed Blue Planet too. But, mostly I love the engineering of the ship. Love the design, & the open air style. The ship has an exceptional ambiance. Royal Caribbean got it right this time as far as these things go. Now if they could only kick it up a notch on the free food, it could be even better. For now, I'll pay for the finer dining, as long as they keep the prices low to get on board.

I just got back from Allure and I'm going on Liberty in January. It will definitely be a change. I enjoy being on any ship, but it's going to be a really tough decision on what I will book next. I enjoyed everything about the Allure - I was amazed at how "un"crowded it felt. I was always wondering where every was. Loved the food choices, flowriders, zip lines, neighborhoods, shows. I've been on all the classes of ships now, and don't know how I'll choose!

I enjoyed Blue Planet too. But, mostly I love the engineering of the ship. Love the design, & the open air style. The ship has an exceptional ambiance. Royal Caribbean got it right this time as far as these things go. Now if they could only kick it up a notch on the free food, it could be even better. For now, I'll pay for the finer dining, as long as they keep the prices low to get on board.

Hi Natasha,

Glad you enjoyed Allure. You've read my feelings on the ship. That said, I'm sure it will be a winner for RCI and cruise vacationers alike!

We fly back to FLL once again in a few days to sail on Princess Ruby. I thought I'd be spoiled by the OV Balcony on Allure, but it did not make us want to upgrade from our inside on Ruby. I'll have to adjust to paying for my drinks though! :eek:

Happy cruzin'!

Hi Natasha,

Glad you enjoyed Allure. You've read my feelings on the ship. That said, I'm sure it will be a winner for RCI and cruise vacationers alike!

We fly back to FLL once again in a few days to sail on Princess Ruby. I thought I'd be spoiled by the OV Balcony on Allure, but it did not make us want to upgrade from our inside on Ruby. I'll have to adjust to paying for my drinks though! :eek:

Happy cruzin'!

Hi Kevin!

I really appreciated your help, before my Allure cruise. I'm sure you'll enjoy the The Ruby. Cruising is wonderful. I wonder if you'll feel more closed it though. I just don't think I can look at any ship with a roof, any way other then prehistoric :) After sailing the newest most innovated, open air, moving city, also in a Outside balcony cabin, I'm spoiled.

Please write another short report when u return. Have fun! Be sure to get the freshly made Belgium waffles for breakfast. They made them on the Grand Princess, and we waited in line almost every morning for them :)

Hi Kevin!

I really appreciated your help, before my Allure cruise. I'm sure you'll enjoy the The Ruby. Cruising is wonderful. I wonder if you'll feel more closed it though. I just don't think I can look at any ship with a roof, any way other then prehistoric :) After sailing the newest most innovated, open air, moving city, also in a Outside balcony cabin, I'm spoiled.

Please write another short report when u return. Have fun! Be sure to get the freshly made Belgium waffles for breakfast. They made them on the Grand Princess, and we waited in line almost every morning for them :)

Glad I could help a bit.

Funny you mentioned feeling "closed in". a couple of days ago my wife was wondering the same thing. She really liked the open feel of Allure. She really loved the Promenade. The elevated bar was fun to her! I couldn't move on to something else quick enough! :)

Too bad there aren't more "free" eating places. Lots of bars and places to spend money. I could have hungout a bit in Boleros, but it is way too smokey... even for this cigar smoker! Too bad there isn't a cigar lounge.

Are the waffles on Ruby in the Horizon Court Buffet? I'll post from the ship. We are lucky to have been on Allure and to cruise Ruby so soon after. Take care.

Glad I could help a bit.

Funny you mentioned feeling "closed in". a couple of days ago my wife was wondering the same thing. She really liked the open feel of Allure. She really loved the Promenade. The elevated bar was fun to her! I couldn't move on to something else quick enough! :)

Too bad there aren't more "free" eating places. Lots of bars and places to spend money. I could have hungout a bit in Boleros, but it is way too smokey... even for this cigar smoker! Too bad there isn't a cigar lounge.

Are the waffles on Ruby in the Horizon Court Buffet? I'll post from the ship. We are lucky to have been on Allure and to cruise Ruby so soon after. Take care.

Actually the waffles are in the Solarium. It's a little secret that people may not find on the first few days. But, once word gets out, there's a line.

On the Liberty of the Seas, I did walk into a cigar lounge. I bet Allure does have one too.

This is my take on cruising RCCL. The free food pretty much sucks. But, you can get on board cheap enough, even in a balcony, that it's worth it to pay for the food.

I don't feel this way about Princess, or Holland America. You can eat the 'free' food, and it's very good. You just have to deal with a roof being over your head :)

I guess my wife and I are the exception that proves your rule. While I certainly enjoy a balcony it does not make or break the cruise. We have sailed inside many times after our first balcony and most recently got upgraded to a suite on Celebrity Solstice. Enjoyed the size but wouldn' t be booking another unless the price was great. We will be sailing on Allure in January and booked a balcony because most reviews have made mention they had trouble connecting with the sea on Oasis. The main attraction to cruising for us is the sea.

Work2cruis

I guess my wife and I are the exception that proves your rule. While I certainly enjoy a balcony it does not make or break the cruise. We have sailed inside many times after our first balcony and most recently got upgraded to a suite on Celebrity Solstice. Enjoyed the size but wouldn' t be booking another unless the price was great. We will be sailing on Allure in January and booked a balcony because most reviews have made mention they had trouble connecting with the sea on Oasis. The main attraction to cruising for us is the sea.

Work2cruis

Just curious..have you done a Trans Atlantic crossing? Of my 27 cruise, that was my favorite, because of the actual time sailing at sea :)

This is on my list but have not done it yet. We have done Hawaii from the west coast( 4 days there and 4 days back). Did it in an inside but spent alot of time on deck or looking out from top deck lounges. Alot of whales.

Work2cruis

Archived