Angry Novice , insurance

leslock

I booked a first cruise for 3 March 2011

Paid deposit and insurance ( bad move ) , within 2 days I realised I needed better for my wife , she has Leukemia , I immediately got the better insurance , I then told the travel agent that day about it and confirmed that I was canceling their insurance and gave the new policy number to them witch is on my invoice ,

Last week I had my final invoice and I noticed I was still being charged for the one I canceled ,I phoned them and pointed this out , their answer to me was , you did not cancel it within 30 days ,( I did that in 2 ) and I would still have to pay the extra £94 , they would not take any notice of my protestations , I was by now beginning to get angry and getting Angina , I had to put the phone down as I could feel bad language coming on .

I have paid as it may be one of the last times that we will have a holiday together, if we are able to it will not be with that agent :mad::mad:

I booked a first cruise for 3 March 2011

Paid deposit and insurance ( bad move ) , within 2 days I realised I needed better for my wife , she has Leukemia , I immediately got the better insurance , I then told the travel agent that day about it and confirmed that I was canceling their insurance and gave the new policy number to them witch is on my invoice ,

Last week I had my final invoice and I noticed I was still being charged for the one I canceled ,I phoned them and pointed this out , their answer to me was , you did not cancel it within 30 days ,( I did that in 2 ) and I would still have to pay the extra £94 , they would not take any notice of my protestations , I was by now beginning to get angry and getting Angina , I had to put the phone down as I could feel bad language coming on .

I have paid as it may be one of the last times that we will have a holiday together, if we are able to it will not be with that agent :mad::mad:

The original insurer probably does have a 30-day cancellation/refund policy in place which would mean that the TA could not, by him/herself, get you the refund -- that's pretty standard. Even so, the TA could certainly ask the insurer to make an exception in your case. Insurers like to keep their TA sales people happy and certainly shouldn't want to make one of them mad over a small (to them) amount.

Go directly to the insurer, explain the circumstances and ask for them to make the refund on a goodwill basis. Normally, they will also need a letter from the TA saying this is OK as the TA is giving up the commission -- I assume that the TA would be amenable to doing that but maybe not. It that fails, I would take the problem to whatever UK Insurance oversight authority you have which handles these types of things.

Archived