menden hall glacier confusion

xcomet

i have read through all post since january,i am a bit confused. some folks say you can get onto mendenhall glacier without a helicopter or float plane by rent a reck and drive, some folks say no! i have read that the helicopter is more stable. I have not seen how long the flight is either way by helicopter or float plane,and can you do it without flying?i have checked with juneau web sites and tour companies and havent received any email responses. does anyone have any current feedback?

thanks

There is NO contact with the glacier from the ground. There is a visitor center and trails in the area. You need a glacier helicopter landing for any walk about. You can get "to" view the glacier with the rental car, or shuttle/cab.

You can go to the vistor center and hike near the glacier by car or bus. But to walk on the glacier I believe you have to fly to it.

There are also some ship tours and a few locals in Juneau that do glacier hikes.. but they are relatively strenuous and not like the "walk" on the glacier you get with the flightseeing tours.

Archived