Smart phone reception in French Polynesia

artbcpa

We need to be in contact via telpehone and E-mail with our office while we are in French Polynesia. We will be taking the 10-day cruise to the Society Islands and Tuamotus. We currectly have a Blackberry Bold with AT&T and wonder if anyone is familiar with the reception onboard the PG and in the ports. We also are interested if anyone has experience with the rates onboard and the availiablity of internet cafes.

Interestingly our contract with AT&T is up just a week before we leave; so conceivably we could even change companies and telephone if that were a big enough advantage.

Art & Ellie

The reception is pretty good as you are using the ship's satellite system (there is a cell tower on board). The cost is high (I think somewhere in the $2.50/minute range for telephone). If your phone has wifi capability, then you can use the ship's data plan which is charged in blocks of 100 minutes for something like $50. If you are a Regent Cruises Seven Seas Society Silver or higher, you can request that PG Cruises provide the free internet benefit offered by Regent (they agreed to this for our upcoming cruise). The internet service has a tendency to fade in and out as the ship moves and the speed is much slower than what you are probably used to (more along the lines of dial-up), but you are in the middle of the Pacific Ocean!

I learned the hard way on my August cruise.

There are no data towers in French Polynesia so when you are on land or the ship is in port -- nada.

The only time you will get email on your BB is when the ship is at sea and fairly far away from land. That, of course, costs you nothing.

BY the way, the absolute best carrier for international travel is T Mobile. I would switch.

That is not accurate. PG Cruises contracted with the Maritime Communications Partners to provide cell coverage on the ship. The only issue is when they are in specific ports (the larger islands that have cell service). We use AT&T and Verizon and had coverage the entire trip (French Polynesia, Cook Islands and Fiji) using the ship's satellite coverage. There is a cost (as mentioned in my earlier post) and there are moments of dropped coverage. We were never without coverage on the ship, but you have to make certain that your setting are appropriately set on your phone (and be prepared for the bill when you arrive home).

That is not accurate. PG Cruises contracted with the Maritime Communications Partners to provide cell coverage on the ship. The only issue is when they are in specific ports (the larger islands that have cell service). We use AT&T and Verizon and had coverage the entire trip (French Polynesia, Cook Islands and Fiji) using the ship's satellite coverage. There is a cost (as mentioned in my earlier post) and there are moments of dropped coverage. We were never without coverage on the ship, but you have to make certain that your setting are appropriately set on your phone (and be prepared for the bill when you arrive home).

Read my post again. I am speaking of DATA coverage - email. There are no DATA towers in French Polynesia -- trust me. Phone service is another issue completely.

We were able to get data (email) through the ship's satellite system by using a combination of wifi and their onboard system. We were not able to get data when off the ship (although we could send text messages). Due to the high cost, we kept the data services turned off except during specific times. Getting email using the ship's wifi service was pretty good except when downloading large attachments. I totally understand that the service on the islands is limited or non-existant, but we have had absolutely no problem on the ship with our laptops or smartphones. Have spent 25 days in FP (and about to add another 14) and were connected the entire time, just had to switch between systems based on whether or not the ship was in port.

Are you saying there are no Internet cafes on any of the islands in French Polynesia? I find that hard to believe.

If I have telephone reception throughout and internet access on the ship (though expensive) and on the island via Internet cafes, it sounds like I shouldn't have a problem.

Am I misreading your comments?

Art & Ellie

DOn't know if your post is directed to me

I am saying there are no data towers -- so Blackberry email is unavailable on land. I have no idea if there are internet cafes. The hotel we stayed in post cruise had computers with internet available.

There are internet cafes in Papeete and probably on most of the other bigger islands. The large hotels have business centers with computers and internet. Do not expect lightening speed anywhere in FP. Our connectivity experience on the Paul Gauguin has been good. Based on what you said you need, you should have no problems.

Archived