First time cruisers with alcohol query

gbtippett

Read this on the RC website:

Q: Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard?s.gifA: Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

A: Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age 21, demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

Has anyone brought water/soda or liquor on this cruise?

We have been on several RC cruises. We generally packed a couple of small liquor bottles in our checked luggage, along with a box of wine. Our thought was "Whats the worst that can happen? They'll take it away."

We never had a problem. I think its better to try and get it thought with your checked luggage than with your carry-on. RC X-Rays all carry on, and it's doubtful you'll pass screening with carry-on bottles.

• 2 weeks later...
Honestly, we have NEVER had trouble getting alcohol on board. The screeners for carry ons work for the government (or their contractors), not for the cruise ship and truly seemed to just not care how many bottles we were "allowed" by the cruiseline. We have carried more than one bottle of wine apiece quite openly and have never had any taken from us. I have to wonder if this will vary from port to port as much as cruiseline to cruiseline. We have always boarded in Galveston.

Just got back from a Carnival cruise, cleaned out a bottle of mouthwash and sterilized it with vinegar (no minty aftertaste haha), drop of food coloring and a liter of vodka later...right there in my checked luggage when I arrived in my room. Vodka lemonades for the whole trip saved me at least $30 a night!

Referring to the above quote, my sister bought some tequila in Cozumel. No one forced her to surrender her booze; security just made a general announcement saying if you had liquor to give it to the storage people. We just walked on by. Don't ask, don't tell right?

Archived