QM2 Westbound A1-2 balconies vs In hull balconies

NBTEX

Hi Nancy & Doug,

Welcome to Cruise Critic and the Cunard Board! I have sailed QM2 in a starboard midhsips Deck 11 A1 to Hawaii and back in Feb. / Mar. several years ago and recently in a midships portside Deck 5 B1 November 10 WB crossing and in a midships starboard Deck 5 B1 November 1 EB crossing. I chose the starboard / port side staterooms so I could photograph the sunsets going both ways from my balcony. I did not order room service so I cannot comment on that.

Yes, with an A1 you are much higher on the ship with better views of the horizon. Also you have an unobstructed view of the sea from the "floor to the ceiling." With the B category hull balconies, you are on lower decks and your views are obstructed by the fact that your balcony opening to the sea is an oval cutout of the hull shell plating from the top of the railing but not to the top of your deck. This is more sheltered from the wind and weather but plenty of light beams into your stateroom. You would have to crane your necks to see the sea if your were having breakfast in one of the chaise lounges but the chair might give you enough height to enjoy the sea views. However, if it is raining and you are on the winward side of gale-force winds, you will get wet and windblown on your baclony. I selected the B1 because it is centrally located for the majority of my shipboard activities. Even though QM2's mission in life is to cut through North Atlantic motion of the ocean (and she does this very well), I would suggest you consider a midships stateroom. I really liked my two B1 staterooms! :)

The "Hull Hole" balconies have gotten short shrift elsewhere on these boards. However, on my recent RT crossings in QM2 during the EB & WB Cruise Critic cabin cavalcades, when my visitors went out to the balcony, many were surprised at how little wind there was and we had wind sailing in both directions.

I know stateroom selection is a very personal matter and each category has it's pros and cons. With this and other input you receive from your question, you should have enough information to make an informed decision. Enjoy your springtime crossing! :)

If you were to choose a glass fronted balcony and the ship was doing her normal 20 to 25 knots, when added to the North Atlantic winds you would experience a "breeze" of about 45 to 55 miles per hour. It is certainly bracing but if you want to eat on the balcony I suggest that you need the Caribbean Sea rather than the Atlantic. Without doubt the most useable balcony cabins on QM2 are the B grade in-hull types. The views of the ocean are only available to you if you are standing up but the shelter afforded by the restricted aperture is marvellous. I suggest a port side cabin then you will get what little sun there is on the crossing and as you enter New York Harbour and turn to starboard to head for Brooklyn you will have sight of the Statue of Liberty. Marvellous, do have fun on board.

We enjoy having breakfast on balconies. Is room service adequate? Are the A balconies better than B ? Stbd or port on WB crossing? WB 6/03/2011

Thanks,

Nancy & Doug

Hi Nancy & Doug. I enjoy having breakfast on my balcony too. In fact, on my recent 22 day Caribbean cruise, I had breakfast in my cabin every day. But several mornings I found to be too cold to eat outside, so I just sat inside and enjoyed the view.

My experience was that the room service was excellent: prompt, courterous service. You will find a "Breakfast in Bed" order card placed on your bed during evening turn-down service which you fill out and place on your door knob before retiring. The menu is rather limited, but cereal, fruit, pastry, eggs w/bacon & sausage, toast, etc are available and will be delivered at the time you specify on your card. If I remember correctly, service begins at 7am and ends at 10am (or 11am?). My personal custom is to tip $2.00 USD when I use room service because those men and women work so hard and do such a good job, but tipping is not mandatory.

Breakfast in Britannia MDR has a more extensive menu. When Hubby wants a full breakfast, he goes to Britannia for his favorite Eggs Benedict.

BTW, here's a suggestion: on your balcony, you will find a small round metal table. After my breakfast tray is delivered, I bring the metal table into my cabin if I'm not eating on the balcony. This gives added space to place the large breakfast tray so I can set up my tea and cereal on the small oval table in the room. (The height of the table in the room is adjustable.)

Hope you have a wonderful voyage. Looking forward to your review next June.

Happy Holidays,

Salacia

P.S. If you decide to tip the room service server, have it ready in advance of delivery because they're quickly in and out of your room!:)

When in Britannia class, I always select an A-2 category or an A-1. The sheltered balcony cabins are darker, and the "balconies" afford a poor view of the sea.

If you book A-2, be mindful that the Deck 12 midship to aft overhang does obstruct sunshine and, on cruises to places with stunning landscapes such as Norway, diminishes the enjoyment of some of the scenery.

Archived