There's a New Chef in Town

CozSally

Okay, it’s time to let the cat out of the bag. For over a year I have been a weekly patron at the Restaurant Acuario on the waterfront. I sit alone or with a friend or two, with my latest painting-in-progress before me, illuminated by a book light, the Caribbean lapping the shore just a few feet away. I’d order a drink and make it last 3 hours, while I enjoyed the live, soft Latin jazz expertly provided by my friends David and Raul. Over the year I’ve completed several paintings this way, stroke by stroke. I’ve told a few people about it. How you can sit outside, watch the sunset, slow dance to romantic ballads… but always with one condition: don’t eat the food. Acuario had ambience, location, great music and class. Food was never the reason to go there and the prices kept many people out.

All that changed about one month ago. There’s a new chef in town and his name is Luis Maya. Chef Luis is originally from Mexico City, but spent 18 years in the U.S., and one year in Germany. He was classically trained at the Culinary Institute of San Francisco and the results are astonishing. Close your eyes and imagine a fresh filet of mahi-mahi, grilled to perfection, seated on a puree of local sweet potato, topped with fresh pineapple pico de gallo, on a plate beautifully drizzled with a balsamic reduction ($12). That was last night. Last week I was a bit more timid and ordered the “Tacos Monchos”, two flour tortillas generously filled with strips of marinated skirt steak, tender and juicy ($10). The sides included a grilled chile of medium heat with an unpronounceable name (never mind trying to spell it), a grilled tomatillo, and a mound of fresh guacamole, beautifully presented with confetti of tomato and sweet peppers. It was so delicious, I almost ordered it again last night but I promised myself I’d try something new.

The reviews are starting to come in and they all agree. Acuario has found its key ingredient: Chef Luis. From the shrimp corn fritter appetizer ($7) to the Captain’s Platter of lobster, shrimp and mahi-mahi ($27, enough for two), there are no bad choices. In addition, there are daily specials such as last night’s Lime Tequila Penne Pasta with shrimp, conch and mahi-mahi ($15), which received a big thumbs up at our table, from one who knows his penne pasta. Cap off the evening with bananas flambé, prepared tableside and you have a true Caribbean culinary paradise. I believe that in just one month, Acuario has firmly vaulted into place among the top three restaurants of Cozumel.

Acuario is open daily from noon to midnight, with live music Monday through Saturday from 7-10pm. Appetizers average $7, entrees are $8-27, with more than half the choices under $15. Acuario is located on the waterfront and Calle 11, at the traffic light. I am not affiliated in any way with this restaurant.

Sally, this sounds so wonderful! Is there parking near here? This might help with our taxi/rental car decision.

We'll be in Cozumel on March 12th and we still haven't decided what we're going to do or even whether we're going to rent a car or take taxis. We've spent a lot of time in Coz over the years, so being there for just one day is like going to a restaraunt where they serve all of our favorite foods, but we only get to choose a couple of items.

Lisa

You can park in the big Chedraui parking lot across from the old Plaza las Glorias Hotel which is currently (and infamously) in the process of being remodelled. Can't miss it. This will mean a walk of about a block north along the waterfront. But if you can't find parking closer, this is a good bet for Acuarios.

Acuario has its own small parking lot. You turn into it right at the traffic light, if you are driving along the ocean. If you are driving towards the ocean, it's almost directly straight through the light. Just lean a bit towards the left. Carey, there's a bike rack there as well!

Sorry, Zy, I don't think ship delivery is possible. Just get over there, it's worth it!

Cindy, the pineapple pico was a refreshing surprise, and delicious too. I have the feeling that Chef Luis creates on the fly... what could be better?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived