Just back from B2B on Freedom

Mickeylee

Did another B2B on Freedom (also did one last December - yup, we like this ship!). We were on the weeks of Dec. 5 and Dec. 12.

Had a great time, though we don't actually "do" much on a cruise - we go to relax.

Our activities consist mostly of sitting on the balcony watching the ocean, playing trivia (we play most mornings and sometimes in the afternoon), playing Scrabble (we bring our own travel-sized one so we can play anywhere we want) and chatting with folks. Yes, we are really active :rolleyes:.

I went to the ice show, but that was it for the evening entertainment, though we did spend some time in On-Air watching football.

Meals - breakfast was a variety - most mornings DH ordered room service, while I went to either the conceirge lounge or Portofino's (breakfast for suite guests). Lunch was either Cafe Promenade or Windjammer. Dinner was MDR, Chops (ate here 3 times) or Johnny Rocket.

Our service was very good, in fact our dining room team the second week was probably the best we have ever had. Our cabin steward was great (not that it really mattered to us one way or the other, but we got lots of towel animals). The folks in the conceirge lounge and diamond lounge were excellent.

DH never got off at any ports; I got off at Grand Cayman (did a short tour called "Taste of Grand Cayman" - went to a brewery and to the Tortuga Rum Cake store - not really much of a tour, but the driver was very informative so it was not a waste of time).

They did provide a luncheon for the B2B cruisers.

We hope to do a B2B again next year (though some year we would love to be able to do a B2B2B).

Diana and I will be doing the B2B sailings next Oct. 2nd and 9th.

Just can't be here soon enough. We recently did a B2B2B on the Monarch, but there was no luncheon for the B2Bers. How did it work on the Freedom? Where was it and what did they serve?

Thanks,

Tom

We recently did a B2B2B on the Monarch, but there was no luncheon for the B2Bers. How did it work on the Freedom? Where was it and what did they serve?

Interestingly, we did a B2B on Freedom in Dec. 2009 and they did not provide a luncheon that year; maybe it depends on the number of B2B cruisers???

The luncheon was held in the MDR (I think it was the 5th deck, but can't remember). For starters, there was a choice of shrimp cocktail or salad; pasta or surf/turf for main course and I can't remember what desert was. It was held at 12:30pm and was very pleasant.

I love B2B's and hope to do another one sooner rather than later ;)

Nice! I have a few questions about the FOS. We are planning a family reunion in 2012 and we're going to book her when on board the VOS. What deck would you recommend for a large group of over 50 +year olds? We are thinking deck 9 Hump area... We also heard she's going into dry dock for some up grades. Any Comment? Also what's the overall condition of the ship? Thank you in advance for your information.

Earl & Kathy

Yes, I understand that she is going into drydock in March or April 2011 (I have seen different dates mentioned, but it is only for a week).

I believe they are adding some things similar to the Oasis - Cupcake Cupboard (a store selling....yup, you guessed it....cupcakes :rolleyes:); an outdoor movie screen by the main pool; a new childcare space (Royal Tots and Royal Babies); interactive touch-screen displays and such.

The ship looks great to us - we did not notice any obvious signs of wear and tear (they are always doing something - painting, repairing, and replacing - during the cruise). We thought it looked great last year when first on her and thought she looked just as good this year.

We have been on deck 10 and loved it; I would think deck 9 would be just as nice, especially near/on the hump - it's near the stairs and the elevator, so very easy to get to where you're going.

We hope to go back again next year; we love this ship and would recommend it to anyone.

Enjoy!

Nice! I have a few questions about the FOS. We are planning a family reunion in 2012 and we're going to book her when on board the VOS. What deck would you recommend for a large group of over 50 +year olds? We are thinking deck 9 Hump area... We also heard she's going into dry dock for some up grades. Any Comment? Also what's the overall condition of the ship? Thank you in advance for your information.

Earl & Kathy

Earl and Kathy

I'm gonna comment on the hump area. We were on the 12th sailing with the op and had a js on deck nine, just one cabin forward of the center hump.

I am a hump cabin lover as I have bad knees and like the short distance to walk. DW is an aft cabin lover. She loves the corner aft cabins (I do also but not the walk).

This crusie was last minute (booked on Dec 6th, sailed Dec 12th) and our first JS. We have been on center hump, never forward of that. After this cruise, I will never book a forward hump cabin again as they get too much wind from the ship. If I had thought sooner I would not have made the mistake. The balcony sits our further than the ship and with being forward of center, it caught a lot of wind. I would possibly book a cabin more on the back of the hump if I could not get center but forward of center would not be my first choice.

Tim

Archived