Panama bound in October 2011

BudapestLady

6 of us are wanting to have a private tour at the different ports on our cruise. We prefer this instead of the tours we can book through Princess as one in our group is physically handicapped and would not be able to keep up with the regular tours. If anyone has had great success with a small tour group I would love to get that info from you. This would allow my uncle to really enjoy this trip. Obviously, we aren't looking for any extreme sports type of tour group. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if you are doing a complete Panama cruise or partial. I recently did the round trip from Ft Lauderdale that goes through the first set of locks, into the lake and returns. Only those with a Princess tour are allowed off for a tour starting in the lake. Once those on tour are off, the ships goes back through the locks and docks for a few hours at an industrial port at the eastern entrance. It will be getting near dusk so and its not the best area so tours there are not a good idea.

Are you coming with us on the 10th? Have a roll call already started! I'm looking at arranging or joining a small group for Jamaica when more people are on the roll, that might help you out a little.

I'd recommend checking out the various port of call forums for specific suggestions. We're using Lee Miles in Colombia for a private tour, he comes pretty well recommended. Not sure what we are doing in Aruba or Costa Rica. In Panama (assuming a partial transit) ship tours are your only option.

Thanks for your reply. We are going on October 20th. But, if you come across some more tour companies, I'd be thrilled to hear from you. We had such a wonderful tour company in Roatan that I can't imagine doing a tour through the ship.

I want my uncle to have as great an experience as anyone without a handicap. He's had to stay on buses or not go on excursions in the past. I don't think that is fair to him.

Thanks again, Suzan

So far I have only contacted Lee Miles in Cartagena (based on CC recommendations) and arranged a private tour for the two of us. He seemed very accommodating in our exchange of emails...

I'll start serious land planning in June or July probably...

Thanks for your reply. We are going on October 20th. But, if you come across some more tour companies, I'd be thrilled to hear from you. We had such a wonderful tour company in Roatan that I can't imagine doing a tour through the ship.

I want my uncle to have as great an experience as anyone without a handicap. He's had to stay on buses or not go on excursions in the past. I don't think that is fair to him.

Thanks again, Suzan

6 of us are wanting to have a private tour at the different ports on our cruise. We prefer this instead of the tours we can book through Princess as one in our group is physically handicapped and would not be able to keep up with the regular tours. If anyone has had great success with a small tour group I would love to get that info from you. This would allow my uncle to really enjoy this trip. Obviously, we aren't looking for any extreme sports type of tour group. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We did the the full canal transit in March `09 and booked private excursions/tours in most ports. I don't want to pry but any recommendations we give you won't have much value without knowing what your uncle's mobility limitations are.

Private tours let you go at your own pace but they can't change the physical environment at the ports. Every port, every tour, involved a lot of walking over uneven surfaces with flights of steps and very very few ramps/elevators. A sad fact but most ports are not real freindly for people that can't get around very well on their own.

Thanks for your reply. My uncle has polio and cannot stand erect. He walks with braced crutches. Also, he is in his late 70s, which is rare for his disease. As long as we can get a tour group that will provide a van that seats 6, he can be part of the action even if he cannot ambulate the terrain. A wonderful memory for him is worth more than you can imagine. This may be his last big trip.

Cruise Critic members are a bunch of great folks. We have had many wonderful and helpful exchanges in the years I've been a member. I always know that the information I get from all of you is genuine and that we care about each other and want the best cruise experience for everyone.

Archived