St. Croix is not trying very hard to get my business

Sherry Baby

I will soon have one day in St. Croix, sailing on the Maasdam, Jan. 20. I have tried to book a tour from the locals with no success. I have searched the internet, I have sent repeated emails, sometimes getting an answer, mostly not, and no guide has followed through with me.

Why is information about transportation so lacking? The St. Croix Taxi Assoc. did not answer my email. It seems they are the main source of tours on the island, but they have nothing advertised on the net, except, "Call us!". Safari Van Tours did not respond. Is the digital infrastructure poor? Do I have to stand on a curb near the dock and negotiate terms, wasting precious moments of my day?

If this is the reception tourists get, it's no wonder cruise ships have stayed away in recent years. All I want is to pre-arrange a tour, to see a few attractions without renting a car.

Maybe someone who lives on the island can explain what I will find when I arrive. Should I select a taxi driver's name blindly? No ratings, no recommendations? Just call him or her from home now? Thanks for any help out there. This is the least visited message board for apparently the least visited island. Anybody wonder why?

Sherry

Sherry Baby-

Please don't think badly of STX because it is not highly touristed... I think it makes the island all the more special.

Locals are not allowed to recommend local vendors, you must rely on your fellow cruiser's advice- rules of CC. I cannot answer why no one has responded- take a deep breath, check the taxi info at http://www.visitstcroix.com , and enjoy the information there.

Previous posts have a good bit of detail- taxis are plentiful, and most folks do make their deal on the pier or take ship's tours. If you would like to rent a car, please do reserve ahead- I think that might be turnover time at the refinery, and thus a busy car rental time, not to mention the snowbirds.

The local custom is to greet with a smile and good morning/ afternoon/evening/ night. It only takes a moment and makes all the difference.

I wish you the best on your cruise and port stays, I love St. Croix!

Thank you for your response. Of course, I already perused the website (all possible websites) And the taxi website: that's where I wrote for a taxi reservation and nobody answered. That's why I felt they don't want my business. I really prefer to arrange ahead, but I guess this is not likely.

Can you tell me- if I take a cab from Frederiksted to Whim plantation and get dropped off, can I get a cab from there later to the Botanical Garden? Are cabs only looking for customers in the cities? Do I have to pay the flat rate of $100 for 3 hours to see several things? There are only 2 of us.

Thanks for any info you provide.

Sherry

As Clayton Lindsey, a cruise director for Disney told me a couple years ago, St. Croix is how the old caribbean was, very laid back and quiet, not much shopping, just a chill island. I love it for that reason alone!

Archived