Canopy Tour-Gumbalimba Park

Beachbum1944

We would like to do the Canopy Tour and stay at Gumbalimba Park for the day we are on Roatan. I understand that the Canopy tour ends at Gumbalimba Park, but you then get on a bus to go to Tabayana Beach for the beach party. Is it possable to walk from Tabayana Beach to Gumbalimba Park for their beach and get back to Tabayana Beach to catch the bus back to the dock in time.

Paul cool.gif

Gumbalimba Park has a beach, with chairs. There is an outfit there that does snuba, snorkling with a guide and kayak rentals. You can buy drinks and a hamburger. They also offer a lobster buffet (chicken is an option if you don't like lobster).

Tabyana is around a 15 - 20 minute walk along the water. Tabyana is at the far end of West Bay Beach, the opposite end from Fosters West Bay. West Bay Beach is very beautiful also.

For the record, Tabyana is NOT owned by NCL, Tabyana and Gumbalimba Park are owned by the same family.

I hope this is useful.

Beachbum, I emailed the people who have the park and tabyana. Though it is not listed as a shore excursion, it is avail to purchase on the ship a canopy/gumbalima tour separate from the canopy/tabyana beach tour. or you can just purchase gumbalimba by itself and tabyana by itself. The canopy tour itseof ends and gumbalimba park. We want a little of all three and they are saying the only way is to purchase multi tours. This would cost us way too much money as there are 6 of us. I am looking for a way around this. We can purchase the canopy/gumbalimba tour and then somehow try and walk or get a cab, or sneak on the bus to tabyana and then back to the ship or we can purchase the canopy/tabyana tour and try and "get lost" or "look for the bathrooms" in gumbalimba park before heading to tabyana. We just want to be at the park long enough to see and pet the monkeys. We could just stay at gumbalimba as they do have a beach and snorkeling. But we have been to tabyana and dont want to miss the snorkeling there. It is the best. If anyone has any suggestions on how best to do this I would really appreciate it. We are only there for 5 daylight hours and don't want to waste time with walking if we can help it.

Kidfanz,

Tabyana and Gumbalimba Park people have their own wrist bands, most times different colours and also with the name of the tour on it. You could ask the people at the park if you can get a ride over to Tabyana for a short while, it doesn't hurt to ask. However, if you buy Gumbalimba Park with the Canopy Tour you will be counted for the transportation back from the Park. So you need to make sure you are back from Tabyana in good time, otherwise you'll hold everyone up. You will not be able to do Tabyana with the Canopy Tour and visit the monkeys without paying the entrance fee. As you have been to Tabyana Beach before, you'll know that it is on West Bay Beach, and that you can snorkel anywhere along the beach and get to the rocks at the far end.

Best wishes to you. Hope you enjoy your visit no matter what tours you choose.

Islanaddweller, It's been over 7 years since we snorkeled at Tabyana. We did this with NCL shore excursion back then and it is why we chose this itinerary again. I don't remember much about where Tabyana began and ended or what was right next to it on either side. What is now next to Tabyana and closest to Gumbalimba Park Beach? Would you say that it is an easy or close walk from the park to Tabyana (or right next to it) and that the snorkeling is the same? That might redirect how we book our excursion. The owners are not budging on accomodating my request. The last time we booked and paid for both Tabyana and the dolphin swim at Anthoneys. At the time it was the only way we could do it. Now they offer a combination of the two. This time we are bringing our 4 kids, and two tours at one stop would cost us over $800, and for only less than 5 daylight hours. Thanks for any suggestions.

The difference between Tabyana snorkling and Gumbalimba Park snorkling is that West Bay Beach area is dredged while infront of GP there is still sea grass and has not populated by tourists. Thus there is an abundance of sea life and unspoiled corals. Both are beautiful areas. With four children to walk from one to the other would definately be a trek, but not undoable (excuse sp!).

GP is a short walk along from Bite on the Beach and Las Rocas heading towards West End. In the 7 years since your last visit, you will notice a lot of new buildings at Tabyana and more resorts all along West Bay Beach. It will be interesting to hear what you do decide, and what you think when you return.

Only a question away... Islanddweller

FYI - you can pet monkeys (and play with them) for free in West End. I can't remember the name of the restaurant (It's Argentinian) but just ask when you're there....most people know about it. It's a quick water taxi ride away from West Bay beaches.

The difference between Tabyana snorkling and Gumbalimba Park snorkling is that West Bay Beach area is dredged while infront of GP there is still sea grass and has not populated by tourists. Thus there is an abundance of sea life and unspoiled corals. Both are beautiful areas. With four children to walk from one to the other would definately be a trek, but not undoable (excuse sp!).

GP is a short walk along from Bite on the Beach and Las Rocas heading towards West End. In the 7 years since your last visit, you will notice a lot of new buildings at Tabyana and more resorts all along West Bay Beach. It will be interesting to hear what you do decide, and what you think when you return.

Only a question away... Islanddweller

Would you suggest GP or Tabyana for the best, uncrowded, natural snorkeling? Can you go to GP on our own or do you need to book through a cruiseline ( We are going to the CSI orphanage in the morning) How much is the enterance fee to GP? Thanks!:confused:

I have the same questions as alwardclan. I want to snorkel and have beach time, but GP sounds like it might offer more. Do you have to pay for each activity or is it included in entrance fee? Guide for snorkeling? DO you have to have 1?

There is an entrance fee to the park I think it's $15.00. The snorkling is done off the beach there. If you were to use a guide it would be charged separately. Look on the Gumbalimba site and look up the snuba website for answers. Mark is the owner of the watersport activities ~ snorkling, snuba and kayak rental ~ and is very accommodating. The area in front of Gumbalimba is very unspoilt and not dredged so there is seagrass. Wearing your water shoes is a good idea to stop the little spiney friends (anenomes sp??) from attacking your feet. Lots of sea life including rays, eels, starfish.

It is a beautiful spot and will surely become a great treasure for everyone who takes time to visit. Enjoy.

Archived