BBW First Cruise

seadrifters

I'm a big lady too - 5'6" and probably about 260-70.

There are going to be gals from the starveling skinny to the incredibly bountiful, and everyone is going to be in swimwear. Don't let it bother you - really. NOBODY is going to look or care what you're wearing.

I've been on 30+ cruises, and only ever heard one comment, out of a kid about 12 or so to his friend as they were walking by. It was something along the lines of "that fat lady sure has big boobies!" I looked him straight in the eye, winked at him, and said "I sure do!" Both of them ran for their lives. :D

As you can see from my avatar, I'm a scuba diver. There are not many sports where a lady my size encases themself from head to foot in lycra (and/or neoprene). I may not be the prettiest thing on the boat, but I'm usually the best diver!

Don't bother with the hair and makeup unless you really want to - you're going to sweat off the makeup, and the hair isn't going to last if you go outside. I think you're gorgeous just as you are!

Think about trying snorkeling at Costa Maya and Cozumel - the reefs and water are beautiful. Just remember to coat up your back very well with sunblock and wear a long T-shirt to keep the sun from roasting your back (and backside).

Have a wonderful trip!

Wendy

dive pix - big folks having a great time in the water!

http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

As you can see from my avatar, I'm a scuba diver. There are not many sports where a lady my size encases themself from head to foot in lycra (and/or neoprene). I may not be the prettiest thing on the boat, but I'm usually the best diver!

Think about trying snorkeling at Costa Maya and Cozumel - the reefs and water are beautiful. Just remember to coat up your back very well with sunblock and wear a long T-shirt to keep the sun from roasting your back (and backside).

LOL--I'm a "fluffy" diver also. We generally dive in the PNW where 7 mil neoprene means I dive with 35+ lbs. of lead weights. My first warm water dive in a lycra diveskin, I asked the divemaster for 15 lbs. He said "nobody dives with that much weight here." I looked down at my boobies and then back into his eyes and he handed me the weights without another word! They didn't nickname PFDs "Mae Wests" for nothing!

To the OP, I agree that snorkeling is a great idea (no worries about proper weighting for snorkeling). If you've got time before your cruise, invest in a lycra diveskin in a dark color. Not the most stylish outfit you'll ever wear but you won't have to worry about sunburn. If you decide to snorkel without a diveskin, don't forget the sunscreen on the back of your legs--I learned that the hard way!

Kathi

Couple of tips -

For airlines, I purchased seat belt extenders at Living XL. I could buckle the belts just fine; but some were snugger than others. Now I don't worry.

When you look at the tiny shower in your cabin; don't panic. There are larger showers in the spa locker room that you can use for free.

and best of all ...

Odds are you will never, ever see these people again in your life. So who cares? Have a wonderful cruise.

I am so loving everyone who has posted on this thread! Why can't you all be on my cruise with me? :)

I found out yesterday that I can't even swim with the dolphins because there is a weight limit. That's the one thing I was thinking about doing, since I obviously won't be doing any ziplines. I don't have any snorkel gear, and can't afford any dive clothing. I'll mention snorkeling to my husband and see if it's something he wants to do. Thanks for the tip on the extra sunscreen, I would never have thought of doing the backs of my legs!

As far as the flying goes, it's the fact that I'll be sitting next to a stranger that really has me worried. I pray that it is either a small child or an empty seat.

Thank you to everyone for your positivity and encouragement! It's really helping a lot!

I am so loving everyone who has posted on this thread! Why can't you all be on my cruise with me? :)

I found out yesterday that I can't even swim with the dolphins because there is a weight limit. That's the one thing I was thinking about doing, since I obviously won't be doing any ziplines. I don't have any snorkel gear, and can't afford any dive clothing. I'll mention snorkeling to my husband and see if it's something he wants to do. Thanks for the tip on the extra sunscreen, I would never have thought of doing the backs of my legs!

As far as the flying goes, it's the fact that I'll be sitting next to a stranger that really has me worried. I pray that it is either a small child or an empty seat.

Thank you to everyone for your positivity and encouragement! It's really helping a lot!

If you do a snorkel excursion (either privately or through the ship) they'll have gear available. Just bring along some alcohol wipes--even though they say they disinfect everything, I'd be extra sure, especially something I'm putting in my mouth! And take the time to pick out a good-fitting mask so you don't have leaks. Take the mask and put it on your face without using the strap and breathe in--the mask should stay in place even without the strap.

If you can't do the diveskin (you can get on for about $40 online) any snug-fitting man-made fiber clothing will do. But do remember the sunscreen on any exposed skin. You look pretty fair in your picture (like me!) and we burn!

I really hope you and your husband will try snorkling! Everyone is weightless in the water and there's a whole world under the sea for you to discover! Please come back and let us know about your cruise!

Hello Miss Rabbit,

But honestly, if the plane ride is a success and my seasickness patches work, I'll be so grateful that nothing can keep me from being happy!

Hi again seadrifters, listen to Miss Rabbit, she is a wise bunny!!! I have to admit I am a large lady and I went for Alaska airlines with an extra seat. They have a policy that if the plane is not full when you fly they reimburse you the price you paid for the other seat. Not the best option but one I felt compelled to do!!! In Canada I fly with Air Canada, mainly because if you do a medical form with the doctor and prove that you cannot fly in one seat, they will provide a second seat beside you free of charge. I think it's because they consider obesity a disability. Not sure I completely agree with that but they wouldn't let me pay. so I can say I tried.

2 words for seasickness and nauses "Gravol Ginger". Not the regular Gravol, this is made by the same company but it's in a yellow and green box and is called Gravol Ginger. It's basically medicinal grade ginger complex. No nausea, no sickness and best of all, no drowsiness. I am sure it's available in the states. I found it one time when I was sick with the flu and I swear by it, really it's the best. I have friend that is notorisously motion sick and it completely cures her. I can't say enough.

Have fun and let us know how it goes.

if you can walk the stairs for a deck or 2 in a pinch it makes the cruise more enjoyable. far too many people who don't need to use the elevators ride them and the wait can be awful. spending some extra money and staying on a deck near the things that interest you usually pays off. it is also possible you could have to stand for a while. maybe a goof up during embarkment, disembarkment, waiting for a tender, life boat drill,slow dining room etc... the cruise lines are finally doing away with standing on a outside deck during roll call. or maybe i've lucked out lately.

Hi again seadrifters, listen to Miss Rabbit, she is a wise bunny!!! I have to admit I am a large lady and I went for Alaska airlines with an extra seat.

awww thank you :)

I always buy a 2nd seat as well. It just helps ease the already massive amount of anxiety i have when travelling. I try to fly Alaska because of their refund policy. I never knew that about Air Canada. Too bad it's dang expensive to fly with them! We always drive to Seattle and fly out from there.

Waiting for elevators... there's always ways around it. If you are leaving a show, for example, and there is a massive crowd of folks waiting for the aft elevator....walk to the midship elevator and use those. You still have to walk the length of the ship, so why not do it before the elevator instead of after...poof! no more elevator waits. As for taking the stairs, i can take a flight or two down, but not the other way around. So when i could, i'd walk down the flight if it seemed the elevator was taking a while.

I really do appreciate having this thread and a place to read tips and support to ease any anxiety we have in cruising.

I really wanted to buy an extra seat (we are flying jet blue) but my husband said no. To be honest, I think he's a little in denial about how heavy I am. My friends too, say no way would I need to get an extra seat. I just know myself, my arms especially stick over into the next seat. I can sit with the arms down but it's more comfortable with it up.

I'm going to try to find those ginger pills, but I only have one week to go!

Thank you to everyone for such kind, supportive advice. It truly warms my heart.

Cannot wait to hear back from u after ur cruise. BTW, I never was told there was a weight restriction on the dolphin swim! I luv to swim & always wanted to snorkel so I think I will try it on our cruise in March. Again have a wonderful time & report back & don't sweat the small stuff!!! LOL

Hi again everyone... I dont know if this is still the practice of Alaska Airlines, but when I was able to fly, I was told if you call 24 hours before your flight time, IF there is a first class seat avail (bigger and more perks) then you can upgrade for $50 dollars.... I have done that three times on that airline, but not for the last 10 years. Maybe something worth looking into...

Hi again everyone... I dont know if this is still the practice of Alaska Airlines, but when I was able to fly, I was told if you call 24 hours before your flight time, IF there is a first class seat avail (bigger and more perks) then you can upgrade for $50 dollars.... I have done that three times on that airline, but not for the last 10 years. Maybe something worth looking into...

You are correct that Alaska will upgrade to first class, but depending on what you paid, it may only be optional on the day of travel...and the cost depends on the flight distance. We are hoping to snag first class to Honolulu in April but showing up early +++ at the airport ,but it will cost us $150..still worth it . If that fails, I have an extra seat booked.

We flew in Sept first class for the $50 ( LA to Vancouver)...it was awesome !!

Hello Seadrifters. I just got off the Oasis a week ago and flew on Jet Blue also, so will give you some information on things I encountered. I have a father that has mobility issues, and other medical problems. Some days he is fine and others he can get a cough from his meds and it is hard for him to stop. Because of this, I decided it was best to buy an extra seat, so that I would be comfortable, but would also be able to help him with things on the plane and not be squished. I'm so glad I did that. Both planes down and back were full. JetBlue doesn't offer a first class section, however, they do have an additonal leg room aisles. I think the leg room on the regular seats are just fine. I actually felt that I had more room on JetBlue then I did on 747's and other larger planes flying to Europe.

If I were you, I would check to see how full your plane is. If there are two seats together, I would personally give up sitting at a window seat and seat next to your husband. He will be less likely to be upset if you are up against him, then a stranger. With being next to him, you still can see out the window also. :) If that isn't available, you could always wait until you get on the plane and if you feel uncomfortable with your seatmate, see if those effected will switch with you so you could be by hubby. On both flights, the crew from JetBlue were amazing. My father on the way down was having problems as it was so hot on the plane. I thought he was going to pass out, but they brought him gloves filled with ice and we iced him down. Make sure to not dress warmly on the flight, as it was really hot on board. The way home was better, but it still was uncomfortable. If you are worried about excessive walking, you can always request a wheelchair at the airport. They don't ask questions why, you can say you have a pinched nerve that bothers you for long distance. This will also give you priority bording, so you can get on the plane earlier before your seatmates to give you a bit of time to get settled in. There was not much walking at all at the FLL airport.

Thank you Scoopgirl. My husband actually told me today that there are still some empty rows left, if I wanted to get an aisle seat instead. But I don't think it matters if you have someone next to you. If only he'd agree to buy the extra seat. I wouldn't have to worry at all.

Thank you Scoopgirl. My husband actually told me today that there are still some empty rows left, if I wanted to get an aisle seat instead. But I don't think it matters if you have someone next to you. If only he'd agree to buy the extra seat. I wouldn't have to worry at all.

I did buy extra airline ticket on my last trip to FL as I thought I would be too big. I worried myself silly about the whole thing and as soon as we boarded, I saw a woman much big than me board and take a single seat. The flight attendent asked me why in the world I had purchased two tickets too. Luckily I got refunded for extra seat coming and going as neither flight was overbooked. (It was SW airline ). I also kept looking at all the skinny people in the cruiseline brochures before my 1st cruise and was sure I'd be the only BBW on the entire ship.No way I was even putting on my bathing suit. The 1st day I saw so many people just as big and even much bigger having a blast out by the pool. I was in my suit in 5 mins. and I've never looked back !!! Have a great cruise.

I'm back from my first cruise, and it was wonderful! I know a few people wanted to know how it went, so I thought I'd pop in and say a few words.

First, regarding the plane ride which I was very nervous about, I ended up sitting next to two different petite women both to and from FL. What a relief! I did get a seatbelt extender, which was done very discreetly. We arrived in Ft. Lauderdale the day before sailing, and had no problems with delays. Flying out of Boston had us worried, but we ended up flying on the only day of the week that had no snow! Yay!

When we got to the cruiseport, it only took us about 5 minutes to get through security and to get our sea passes. Then it was to a holding area where we waited for about 1/2 hour. It was fine because we ended up chatting with a nice couple from Toronto.

I had my seasickness patch on since early in the morning, so by the time I got on the ship I had no problem at all. I felt fine for the entire cruise, although we could definitely feel the ship moving once it set sail. It wasn't bad at all, but since this was my first cruise I didn't know what to expect. I'd heard both ends of the spectrum.

The ship is beautiful!! It is so big and has so much to see! I loved every part of cruising. I did feel like one of the biggest girls on the ship, but I tried not to let it bother me. I just focused on all the things my husband and I wanted to do and see that it didn't even matter.

As far as the ports of call, I only got off in Cozumel. I do feel a bit of regret about not getting off in Labadee, but it was 95 degrees and humid, and that pier is LONG! I knew once I got to the end I'd have been a sweaty mess. So, my husband went alone and did the zipline by himself. I do feel bad that he had to go alone, and he told me later that he missed me not being there and felt weird being the only one alone. I promised that when we went to Cozumel I'd go with him to swim with the dolphins. Now, there was a weight limit so I couldn't participate, which in hindsight makes me really sad. He had such a good time, and watching him pet the dolphin and kiss him made me wish I could have done it too. But, I got lots of pictures and at least I was there to share it with him. We had lunch there, and it was really nice to feel like I was involved. I feel like I really accomplished something, because it was really hot and it was a pretty long walk to where we had to get the shuttle to the dolphin place.

Another concern I had was the seating in the venues (Theater, skating rink, etc). It turned out that the seats were just fine, and I fit no problem. I also didn't have any problem with the seats anywhere else. There were arms on a lot of the chairs, but I fit with no problem. This also gave me more confidence. We didn't really hang out at the pool during the day because it was always very crowded and there were other things we wanted to do. We did go swimming a couple of nights after dinner and there were only one or two people there. We even had the jacuzzi to ourselves! One afternoon we lounged in the Solarium and swam and jacuzzied there too. I was so happy that I just didn't even pay attention to if anyone was looking at me funny. I had my pretty cover-up on, and when I slipped it off I just slid right into the water. No big deal.

I was especially worried about the tiny shower in our bathroom. Boy, was it small! But, once I got in there and shut the door, I really had enough room to take a nice shower. I didn't hit the walls or anything, but shaving my legs in there was definitely not an option! I stood outside the shower and put each leg in at a time to shave. Pretty simple.

I hope this helps anyone who is worried about cruising as a person of size. Just relax, and don't worry. No one is looking at you! Just enjoy the beautiful ship and all it has to offer.

I had such a good time, I didn't want to come home!

Any questions, feel free to ask!

-Karen

Hey Karen,

I have been waiting for you to check in and let us know how things went. I'm glad you had a great time, I know I enjoyed my time on the Oasis last month. The walking at the ports is lengthy, but I always do the motto, slow and steady. Probably, because I am always with my parents and they have mobility issues, but found if I rush when it is hot, it just wears me out a lot quicker.

On our trip, I saw many lager passengers, and there was only one person, that people seemed to stare at, but she brought it on herself. I am a large girl, but I would not be caught dead in a bikini, let alone a thong. Well, this girl went right down the promenade with no cover up and wearing a thong. It was not a nice sight. Heck, I had no clue they even made bikinis for this size. I would venture to guess she probably was a size 24/26. Again, I'm a large girl, just would never, ever, be caught wearing a thong bikini with my rolls hanging out and lapping over things. :) Of course she also had high heels on, so between her outfit and this, she just was drawing the stares. The only other people that seemed go get the looks were the Brazilian women that did some topless sunning. I think they just forget that they had their top off when they were laying down and just got up and walked around. lol

I have never witnessed swimming with the dolphins, were you able to get in the water and watch, or was that not allowed? How was the service on your cruise? We had great service in the dining room, but ran into a lot of problems with other items on the boat. I think they need a better manager. Even with the problems, I still want to go back. Thinking of doing a cruise out of Baltimore, so I don't have to mess with flying and can have more time cruising.

Archived