Tuxido rental

tgjr

I have done this.

It is nothing that I will do again. WHY ?

1. The tux is diffecult to prea order in righte size if you dont have good controll of your size.

2. The tux itself is of standard quality and the skirte is not a tux skirt, but a norman white skirte.

3. The bow tie was not eaven, and diffecult to aduste

4. The shoes is of very lausy quality - mine whent appart after two houers, and I hade to returne to my cabin - evening was destroied.

5. Cuffelings never arrived in the cabin - I god my own so it was not a problem for me.

The first shoes offered to me was black shoes the I wold normally use for walking in the woods - not the shiny tux shoes that I normally wold use. When I god the tux shoes it was so bad ( see over )

All in all this was a bad experience, and RCCl only refund me for the last formal nighte.... I HAD TO PAY FOR THE FIRST NIGHTE.

Good advice : BRING YOUR OWN TUX on cruise.

Happy cruising

I have rented a tux on board from RCL twice and both time I was very satisfied. I went to a local tux store and they gave me my measurements so I didn't have any problems with the fit. I never rented the shoes so I can't comment on that. I also didn't experience any of the problems you mention with ties or cufflinks.

Renting a tux for me was a great experience especially since I didn't have to buy it, pack it, clean it, or lug it and I also saved a lot of room in my luggage for other clothing.

Shak

good idea to go to a store to get the meturement.....I was secure that RCCL got tailors onboard that manage to adust the Tux - but it was the flower guy, that told me he was a Tailor - nothing like the tailor I normally use.

The Tux itself look OK, but.......

I am still confident that I will bring my own in the future.

In addition I am pissed off that I had to pay about 50 USD for 2 hours of nightemare, and have the hole evening destroid.

The tux thing is pretty much a waste on a Mass-market cruise lines. I could see if you already owned one and wanted to wear it(you don't get many places to wear a tux in everyday life). But with airlines charging for baggage, I would leave it at home. As far as renting it from the ship, Why?

The tux thing is pretty much a waste on a Mass-market cruise lines. I could see if you already owned one and wanted to wear it(you don't get many places to wear a tux in everyday life). But with airlines charging for baggage, I would leave it at home. As far as renting it from the ship, Why?

Why not if you and your DW like the way you look in formal wear? Our experiences with the rentals has always been more than favorable and, as someone else mentioned, it beats having to pack it and sorry about the ultimat weight of your luggage. I own my own tux but often find it much more convenient to rent one when cruising. Not sure why the fact that you are on a mass market line makes any difference.:confused:

Without wading too far into the "formal or not" debate (I fall in the "I enjoy it" camp), I have recently stopped renting aboard. The convenience is undeniable, and with luggage fees the prospect bringing your own has certainly gotten more expensive.. But like the OP, I've found the quality (both of tux and support services) to have slipped so far that I now bring my own to avoid the hassle.

If you're only going to do it once every year or two, then renting may still make sense, but you definitely have to stay on top of the whole process - you have to try EVERYTHING on as soon as it arrives, and ride the staff to get it corrected (the OP is right - there is no real "tailor" aboard). They can't make actual alterations, but they can make exchanges for correct sizes, assuming they have your size. If you are either a very odd or very popular size, you could be left wanting.

I'm a 38R, arguably one of the most common sizes, and I've been delivered everything from 38L to 60S. In the case of the 60S, it was paired with 28 waist pants. I'm not even sure what shape that is, but it's certainly not me. I've had to make upwards of 6 phone calls to get cufflinks, been told "out of stock" only to have the piece show up the next morning with no explanation, and more. The drop-off in service seems to have coincided with the replacement of the outside vendor cruiseline formal with the line's own program. It was obvious to me that the poor staff had been handed a task with essentially zero training.

So.. I got a tux at men's warehouse (not expensive) and I just have it pressed at soon as I get aboard. The luggage fees plus pressing are STILL cheaper than the cost to rent, and while I used to be a strong advocate of renting, the logistics now make it not worth it to me.

Ymmv.

On a recent cruise the airline lost our luggage. RCCL gave us a free tux rental. They came to our cabin and took measurements. The Tux, shoes, several clean shirts etc were deliver to the cabin. We found this to be such a good experience. Considering the extra weight (2 mens suits, dress shoes, shirts and ties), the risk of paying over weight charge on the airline, and risk of the airlines losing your good suits we think we will go the rental route on our future cruises. Before this we had not considered renting.

The extra benefit, I get to see my DH in a tux. He looked sooo sharp!!

Diana

My DH has rented tuxes many times and has always been pleased with the service on RCCL. Shoes have always been fine and saving the hassle of extra weight in luggage and now with D+ discount, it's worth it to us. Have had the tailor come to room and measure is the best but otherwise getting professional measurements before we go works fine for him. Only prob we ever had was on Solstice and you order from outside vendor, etc, never again. To each his own, imho.

Archived