Carnival Fantasy - Awesome Anniversary Cruise – 01/01/11 – 01/07/11

rtw68

DAY THREE – FREEPORT, BAHAMAS

We awoke in time to watch the ship come into port. They had the Pilot boat bring the harbor pilot out, and I got video of that. I had purchased a Kodak HD video camera, and that thing did a very nice job of recording both pictures and videos.

Here is the link to the video:

I had read about that on a couple reviews, it was cool that we could see it from our balcony!

Freeport is not much to look at, because it’s a working shipping port. It was neat watching them load the containers on the cargo ship that was in port. I don’t know how they keep track of what they are loading and unloading.

100_0163.jpg

We had the Dolphin Experience excursion purchased through Carnival/Unexso. They also have a Dolphin swim but to be honest, we wouldn’t have traded the two. It was a highlight of our cruise being that close to the dolphins.

Dolphin statue at the Unexso facility:

100_0187.jpg

We took a boat ride over to the dolphin area

100_0205.jpg

100_0231.jpg

We got to be very close to the dolphin and pet it. He really liked DW and cuddled up close to her. I was afraid she would want to take him home! The water was pretty cold that day.

100_0243.jpg

Getting ready to leave Freeport, not quite “Pier Runners” but close!

100_0304.jpg

So long Freeport:

IMGP0870-1.jpg

We ate in Windows on the Sea. Can’t recall what we ate, but we remember it was good! Never had a bad meal the whole week.

Here was our towel animal for the evening:

IMGP0880-1.jpg

IMGP0879-1.jpg

Here’s the gang so far (unfortunately, they took the one from the first night):

IMGP0881-1.jpg

The week is going fast! Only one port and a sea day left until they kick us off.

I hate to hijack a thread but I couldn't find a way to pm crusiecrazyk. Could you give more information around the Jeep tour in Freeport. My dh and I are sailing in March for our 10 yr anniversary (coincidence eh?) and are looking at that excursion.

Also to OP;

I see in January it looked warm enough for shorts and to swim and all. How hot would you say it got there?

Great job! Excellent photos.

The Fantasy looks just as good today as the last time I sailed on her two or three years ago!

:)

It actually looks better :). It was refurbished at the end of '08. We were on the last cruise before dry dock in 08....the cruise that Hurricane Gustav cut short. We went back on her again in Feb. 09 and felt like we were on a different ship. I really does look amazing. I was sad that they took the Fantasy from New Orleans. We will be going on the Triumph in Feb. I know it is a bit bigger, but it won't be as nice as the Fantasy. I will miss the new Evolutions of fun water park that was added to the Fantasy :confused:....I think that only the Fantasy class ships got that.

I hate to hijack a thread but I couldn't find a way to pm crusiecrazyk. Could you give more information around the Jeep tour in Freeport. My dh and I are sailing in March for our 10 yr anniversary (coincidence eh?) and are looking at that excursion.

Also to OP;

I see in January it looked warm enough for shorts and to swim and all. How hot would you say it got there?

It was in the mid-70's for all three ports. It was actually warm enough in port for Nassau that we got some nice sunshine and actually got in the Fantasy's pool for a bit. The water was still on the cold side but we got used to it!

DAY FOUR – KEY WEST

We awoke early enough to watch Fantasy enter the port. The boat docked at the Navy Pier so we weren’t sure how they were going to get us to down-town initially, but then I started seeing the Conch Trains labeled “Shuttle” and I knew we were going to be in good shape.

Our “Pub Crawl” excursion wasn’t until 1:00PM, so we hopped on the shuttle bus to down-town Key West.

View of Fantasy & Fascination from our shuttle:

100_0322.jpg

Some pics of Key West:

100_0331.jpg

100_0335.jpg

100_0336.jpg

100_0326.jpg

100_0341.jpg

We got back to the ship in time to drop off the stuff we bought, and went back down to the pier to meet up for our excursion.

100_0365.jpg

Phil was our Pub Crawl excursion tour guide. They take you to five bars and you get a free drink at each bar. They mix up which bars you go to. Turns out Phil owns a bar in Key West, and they switch off days that they lead the excursion.

100_0371.jpg

Our first stop was the Tree Bar.

100_0372.jpg

The bartender made a really good drink, I’ll be darned if I can remember the name.

100_0376.jpg

He was a real character!

100_0375.jpg

Earnest Hemingway is really big in Key West. The tree had a brass plate that said he did a certain thing on the tree (sorry it’s real legible). I laughed for a while at that one!

100_0383.jpg

Oh yeah, here is Phil. He made the excursion a blast!

100_0394.jpg

The next bar was the “Flying Monkeys Saloon.” This bar had really good frozen drinks, Phil recommended the Flying Monkey. It was a combination of two frozen drinks, really good!

100_0399.jpg

100_0401.jpg

On to our next bar!

100_0405.jpg

We walked for a bit to get to the next one. Passed some really nice older homes.

100_0407.jpg

100_0414.jpg

Next one was the Schooner Wharf Bar. Pretty cool outdoor pub with a guy singing.

100_0425.jpg

100_0427.jpg

They had a rum punch drink that was “ok” Here was the wharf:

100_0424.jpg

Phil had a Conch blowing contest to win some beads.

100_0433.jpg

DW got an “A” for effort, but another lady one!

100_0434.jpg

Next stop was the “Lazy Gecko.” We paid the $1.00 upcharge for a better frozen drink.

100_0442.jpg

Last stop was Rick’s Bar.

100_0450.jpg

100_0451.jpg

100_0452.jpg

Phil and DW:

100_0454.jpg

Hey, there’s our ship:

100_0456.jpg

100_0462.jpg

One thing we noticed is that a lot of the ship’s crew went into Key West also. It was funny seeing them in their street clothes. They must go shopping for necessities as we saw many of them bringing back luggage, and bags from Walmart, Sears, CVS, etc.

Well, we didn’t end up being pier runners that day. We were on the “right” side of the ship this time as we were facing the port.

Watched the crew finish filling Fantasy up with water and roll up the hoses before leaving.

100_0469.jpg

It’s amazing how people push the time SO close to leaving port!

100_0480.jpg

Hey, we’re leaving!

100_0502.jpg

100_0513.jpg

100_0522.jpg

Goodbye Key West, we had fun!

100_0529.jpg

We were pretty lazy the rest of the night. We ate in Windows on the Sea and relaxed as we headed back to Charleston.

Here was our towel animal for the night:

IMGP0897.jpg

Here was our group:

IMGP0903.jpg

DW and our room steward Alexander. He was GREAT!

100_0585.jpg

Lido looks pretty deserted:

100_0574.jpg

Forward cam on the TV:

100_0572.jpg

Hard to believe one more day and they will throw us off! GEEZ!

DAY FIVE – FINAL DAY AT SEA

Well here it is. The final day at sea. We were hoping to have some more time on the Lido deck, but unfortunately, the weather was not going to cooperate. Seas were very rough and it was very windy. Nice cold front was coming in.

100_0593.jpg

100_0597.jpg

100_0594.jpg

I walked around and took some more pictures:

100_0603.jpg

100_0604.jpg

This area was JAMMED PACKED when we left Freeport:

100_0607.jpg

There is always something being cleaned and painted on the ship and it showed too! For a ship of its age, it was very nice, inside and out. I will always question how someone can think the Fantasy is not a very nice ship.

100_0605.jpg

Some more random pics:

100_0624.jpg

100_0618.jpg

100_0606.jpg

100_0621.jpg

100_0633.jpg

DAY SIX – DISEMBARKATION

We debated quite a bit to do self-assist, or put our luggage out the night before. We finally decided to put our luggage out as we had Zone 1 on our tags.

Glad we did! We were up early in the morning, had some breakfast, and then waited in our cabin for all the self assist folks to get called off.

Zone 1 got called around 8:30am and headed to the elevators. The whole time they said the stairs would be closed off and everyone would have to use the elevators.

Well, we waited 10 minutes for an elevator and saw others going down the steps, so we decided to do that.

Boy am I glad we did! I felt bad for a couple of the handicapped people that HAD to wait for an elevator.

We walked down to deck 3, heard the final BONG of our sign-and-sail cards and we were off the ship.

In the ship terminal, we found our luggage and headed for customs. After a couple questions, we were outside the terminal.

We really didn’t know what time we were going to get off the ship, so the nice folks at the Hampton said to just call them, and they would have the shuttle pick us up.

Within a half hour we were off the ship, in our car, and driving away from Charleston.

Great trip report so far, love all the photos. Can you tell us if there is something that you wish you had packed that you didn't and things that you packed that you couldn't do without?

That is a very good question.

Well, the problem is we WAY overpacked! :D The main problem we had was the weather and time of year. We weren't sure how much we would need based on the cooler/warmer weather. On our trip down to Charleston, we packed jeans/sweatshirts and didn't take any of that with us on the ship.

DW took too many pairs of shoes, she only wore a couple pair. We packed for two elegant nights but only went to one. I packed too many polo shirts and shorts. Brought two swim trunks but only used one.

We really didn't think that we forgot or needed anything else. If the weather was warmer at night, I would have loved to have a bungee to keep the door open to hear the ocean.

Hope that helps!

Archived