4X4 tour Sitka May Alaska

trvldog

I have searched under Alaska stops and could not find much info on this tour. We just booked May 7th Westerdam and for Sikta was hoping to take neice on the 4X4 tour. On Holland site it just says $$$ range, was wondering if anyone know more aprox price, if anyone has been on this and could let us know if worth it. I wanted to do something fun/exciting as a gift for neice but not able to afford float plane or glacier walk so thought this would be good third choice. I have been to Sitka on past cruises and have done Raptor center, and the otter boat tour so this time hopping for a little more adventure :) Any help/information is greatly appreciated. Also if I do this should I book with Holland excursion or has anyone booked with with a company direct? In past years when doing whale trips I have always booked with company direct instead of Ship so wanted to check.. Thanks

We did this excursion in Sept. of 2006, enjoyed it immensely! We've recommended it to several others who sailed with us again in 2008, and they did it and loved it as well! Now that you're booked, log into HAL's website and click on excursions, run the cursor over the $$$ signs and the exact price will come up.

Details of the excursion itself - we boarded a small 6 passenger boat in Sitka's harbor to go out to the island where the Rhinos are waiting. The boat ride over was like an excursion in itself - saw plenty of sea otters, eagles, and even a sealion. Once there, you board the Rhinos wearing helmets with interactive radios so you can hear the guide (driving the first Rhino) provide commentary of the various terrain you are traveling over. Wear a waterproof raincoat and shoes as well, be prepared to get wet and muddy, even though there is a roof overhead, the sides are open and you do get splashed. You drive on old logging roads winding their way thru the island - thru an estuary, over creeks (where we saw a resident seal fishing for salmon!), through meadows alive with color, then thru a rainforest (up and over tree roots, rocks, etc. - this is the very bumpy part, but oh so fun!), then out to a black sand beach where you have the opportunity to beach comb, use the restroom (such as it is - a tent with a portapotty-bring your own baby wipes to freshen up;)). Here is where you'll have a small snack - in our case hot chocolate/coffee, homemade tomato soup, and crackers and smoked salmon spread. Then you drive back to the beach where you were dropped off for your boat ride back to the harbor. Try to get in the last Rhino in line - we did and hung back a bit during the drive then DH would suddenly speed up and gun it thru the puddles - it was a blast!

Would highly recommend this excursion, the scenery there is breathtaking, its an active but not strenuous excursion - just be prepared for a bumpy ride and enjoy!:D

Been lurking for a while, but found a question I can answer. We're currently working out details for our own Alaska cruise for August or September of next year.

When searching for cruises, once you've selected an itinerary, the webpage gives you a link to "View Shore Excursions for the cruise". I selected that and it gives a .pdf of the available excursions, and the pricing. For the Sitka 4x4 Wilderness Adventure shows $244 on the brochure I pulled up.

Enjoy your trip - we'll be a few months behind.

Archived