Souda Port at Chania, Crete???

wantocruisemore

The market that you are dropped at is an easy walk to the Chania harbor area. The harbor is very pretty . . . a long breakwater with a lighthouse at the end. It was built by the Venetians. There is plenty of shopping to do. Down at the harbor is a mosque that has been converted into an art cooperative, interesting to look at. There were some other stores that carried more handcrafted items too. There are lots of restaurants and everyone would like your business. You'll have to do a search, but there are several museums down in the area too. We only stopped in a new museum right at the edge of the breakwater to use the bathroom. It didn't look like the museum was really open but the building was open to allow use of the bathrooms. It is definitely a small that is simply walked and enjoyed. (Make sure you grab a map!)

Thanks so much for posting all this great info! I don't know about others, but I was having a hard time finding any info on this port. It sounds wonderful and relaxing! Looking forward to it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Does anyone know if they are still doing the 3 euro bus trip to Chania from the port? The ones posting ref this were all from 2011?

Yes. We just got back last week and the bus is waiting right behind the pier gates. There will be a booth when you get off the ship to buy the bus tickets and make sure to grab a map! The bus drops you off in the middle of town (20 min ride) and you need the map to navigate the few streets to the harbor.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there are minibuses or taxis in the port of Souda to take us to some of the little Cretan villages, ending up in Chania. We already know about the 3 euro shuttle to take us to Chania, but we would also like a few hours tour of the surrounding area. We are a group of 6 friends and would prefer a minibus. So, for those of you who have docked here in Souda, do you remember any tour people or hire people lined up at the dock. Thank you in advance.

Does anyone know how difficult it is to get to the war cemetery at Souda from where the cruise ship docks. I don't want to go there for long but as we are

Australians I thought we could go for about an hour. Jennie

• 3 weeks later...

We were lucky enough to be on Azamara Quest last week and we tendered in Chania. It is a lovely little town. We found a beach about 20 minutes walk away (standing on the quay looking out to sea it is to the left, not a pretty walk in some parts but the beach is nice). Plenty of nice places to eat, especially the one we used which is down a small lane off the port and has a facade like a bombed out house (Believe me it is nicer than it sounds and the food was great!)

• 6 months later...
The following is an email sent to me from the Chania bus company.

Hello mrs Carol

The bus stop from Souda to Chania Central is about 50 metres distance from the port. When a cruise ship arrives at the port the frequency of the buses is every 5 minutes. The fare is 1.50 € Souda - Chania. Could you please inform us about the day and the time of the cruiseship arrival at Souda port.

Have a nice stay.

Antonis Konstantoudakis

How did this man get in touch with you? I will be there in May 31, 2013, and I want to know if the buses will be there for my cruise also.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, we're trying to get to Knossos or other good Minoan sites that are away from Souda/Chania.

How practical/impractical is it to be able to get from the port to Knossos and back in the 7-8 hours we have on land?

Are there tours, private or organized?

Is there a ferry from Souda/Chania to Iraklion?

Can one take a bus from Iraklion to Knossos? If so, how frequently do they run?

Thank you in advance!

OK, we're trying to get to Knossos or other good Minoan sites that are away from Souda/Chania.

How practical/impractical is it to be able to get from the port to Knossos and back in the 7-8 hours we have on land?

Are there tours, private or organized?

Is there a ferry from Souda/Chania to Iraklion?

Can one take a bus from Iraklion to Knossos? If so, how frequently do they run?

Thank you in advance!

If you google " chania to knossos " you will get lots of info .......

It is about 90 miles from Chania to Knossos. 2 hrs driving time.

If you google " ferry from chania to iraklion" you will get lots of info....

I'm not sure this is feasible to do in the time frame you are looking at. Scheduling may not allow.

If you google "tours to knossos from Chania " you will get lots of info.....

Many posts saying its not the best idea. Some say 2.5 hrs each way leaves only a small amt of time for sightseeing....... you do want to leave a margin for error to get back to the ship.......

Google is a wonderful thing !

• 2 weeks later...
Many posts saying its not the best idea. Some say 2.5 hrs each way leaves only a small amt of time for sightseeing....... you do want to leave a margin for error to get back to the ship.......

Google is a wonderful thing !

Google is truly a wonderful thing, I agree!

However, it is no help when the disembarkation port is too far from the most historical sites on the island. The ferries route themselves through Pireaus where each leg is about 7 hours. Harumph! All that's really necessary for this to happen is for the cruise lines to spend more time in Souda so that a round trip from Souda to Knossos is feasible. Well, it's either this or to return to Crete by ourselves and really do it up.

I appreciate your response.

Google is truly a wonderful thing, I agree!

However, it is no help when the disembarkation port is too far from the most historical sites on the island. The ferries route themselves through Pireaus where each leg is about 7 hours. Harumph! All that's really necessary for this to happen is for the cruise lines to spend more time in Souda so that a round trip from Souda to Knossos is feasible. Well, it's either this or to return to Crete by ourselves and really do it up.

I appreciate your response.

I know it's not any help or consolation to you, having already booked your cruise. But it's always a good idea to look at what's available at ports before booking an itinerary if there are "must sees" -- there are two other ports on Crete, both closer to Knossos than Chania/Souda, and ships do call there as well.

Having said that, if Knossos is a HUGE "must see" for you, you can probably manage it, but you'll have a short amount of time on the site. However, the site itself is not huge. I'm sure you'd have to arrange it via private tour with that much travel involved to ensure you'd get back in time.

If you do go, it may be pushing it, but if you could swing the time to also stop by the little archaeological museum in Heraklion (not far from Knossos site); you can see the stunning real frescoes from Knossos. The ones on site are cartoonish in comparison.

Good luck. Honestly, it's just the kind of crazy thing I'd do, since I have little interest in Chania (yes, I've been to both).

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

If anyone is a No Reservations fan, I easily found the shop where Anthony Bourdain enjoyed a breakfast treat of bougasta. It wasn't as delicious as I hoped but was glad to try it out, the pastry was amazingly flaky. Again a short walk away from the old port.

I know this is an old thread, would you mind sharing more about this? We saw the episode and would love to go! Can you please share the name, and maybe directions?

Thank you!

I just got home from the 3/27 of the Mariner of the Seas and we stopped in Souda on 4/2. We were the first cruise ship to stop and they pulled out all the stops for us. There was a canopied area with samples of the local specialties: orange juice, cheese, olives, etc. The best surprise was the bus service. They brought the buses right to the dock and ran it continuously for us. It was 3 euros for a round trip into Chania and they dropped us at the market building. When we bought our bus tickets, there was an info. booth right there with very good maps of Chania. The harbor was beautiful, so make sure you walk all the way over to the port. The bus was EASIER than using a ship transport and definitely a bargain.

That was our experience in Chania, too, when we were on the Navigator of the Seas last November. There were folk dance performers and musicians right at the port to entertain us and it was lovely! The buses were so easy to get on--right there at the port. Have small change available though. There was a very inconsiderate woman in front of us who first tried using US dollars of all things, and then after that she waved around a 20 euro bill which was hard for them to exchange. Not very nice of her. :(

Chania is a nice little town to wander around it and at the harbor there is a stunning lighthouse. Lots of cute little restaurants and bars too.