First time Europe!

Rebec31

Is it better to stay in Rome the night before the cruise - or go straight to Civitevecchia and hang out there for the day?

Either way - 2 questions:

How long is the train ride from Rome to Civitevecchia?

Looking for suggestions on hotels in both places that are reasonable -we don't need fancy - only really plan on sleeping there and not hanging out (would REALLY like a private bathroom though!)

Thanks - Yeah!! ! 3/5 - Magica

Costa sells a transfer from the airport to the ship for US$ 25 per person. Leaves FCO from terminal 3 at 1:00pm on the date of sailing. What we are going to do is fly in the night (actually late afternoon) before the cruise and stay at an airport hotel, then pick up the transfer bus the following day. From what I have read, you could also take the Leonardo Express train (approx 30 minutes) from the airport into Rome and stay the night there, then take another train to Civitavecchia (approx 1 hour) on the day of the cruise. Seemed to me it would be wise to arrive a day early to relax and get over the jet lag or to allow for missed connections, delays, etc. Hope this helps!

I think we are on the same cruise! Since it is our first trip to Europe too we are staying the night in Rome near the Pantheon and even doing a tour in the morning before taking a private transport to the port. We just couldn’t imagine not taking advantage of the chance to see a bit of Rome.

if you can swing it, spend at least a couple days in rome. it is an amazing place.

Yes, I should have noted in my above post that we are spending 3 days in Rome after the cruise. So having a lazy night and morning before the cruise suits us just fine.

Yes, I should have noted in my above post that we are spending 3 days in Rome after the cruise. So having a lazy night and morning before the cruise suits us just fine.

Now that is a real cruiser statement.:D

None of the ship gets into port at 8 am and I have an intercontinental flight at 9:30 am, the airport is a 4 hour taxi drive from the port. Should I ask for early disembarcation?

Ron

I think we are on the same cruise! Since it is our first trip to Europe too we are staying the night in Rome near the Pantheon and even doing a tour in the morning before taking a private transport to the port. We just couldn’t imagine not taking advantage of the chance to see a bit of Rome.

Which tour operator is conducting the morning tour? How much is the tour and the private transport to the port? We also will be arriving a day early in Rome.

Which tour operator is conducting the morning tour? How much is the tour and the private transport to the port? We also will be arriving a day early in Rome.

I’m not sure if I’m allowed to say the name of the companies since we haven’t actually used any of their services yet. However, we have a group of 10 and found a walking tour company to do a private tour for the group through the Colloseum, forum etc. We decided to go with a guide who could go into the sites with us instead of a driver guide. With our group rate it is 25 Eur a person plus entrance fees of 12 Eur.

The transport is through a different company that I saw mentioned a couple of times in the Europe section below. It worked out to 25 Eur a person for 10 people.

in that case, i would opt for civit. there are check out a village about a half hour away called tarquinia. it is a major etruscan burial site. great museum, quaint village.

Archived