Carnival Valor with 2.5 year old

sjkabak

Hey everyone. My wife and I are planning our first cruise as a family with our two and half year old son. We were thinking of just booking a balcony cabin but then realized that the cabins are kind of narrow and long which doesn't really give him much space to play. Also, the bathroom only have showers. We are considering booking a suite in order to get more play space and bathtub, but not sure it is worth the extra money. It is about $600 more for the suite over a balcony.

I haven't sailed with Carnival since the Fantasy was a new ship, so I am looking for some advise from Carnival frequent cruisers. Thanks in advance for the help!

Steven

We sailed with an 18 month old.

a regular balcony will be fine. (plus you have the balcony-- but when we were on the balcony I told her she is only allowed to sit out there-- no walking around)

We took her to the camp every day from noon til 2 so she can burn off her energy. then we took naps.

Your child will be old enough for the camp- which the programs change every 30 minutes so you can pick and chose what stuff to do or not do.

After dinner we took her to the outside promanade deck-- where she ran off that energy from sitting for 2 hours.

I can tell you we were in the cabin to sleep/shower and dress.,

as for the showers-- we sat her on the floor and used the hand held shower attachments.

We took our son on the Valor last year a week before he turned 3. We had a regular cabin. We bathed him in the shower- took the shower head down to his level to wash him off- honestly he hated it but we got him in/out real quick. I would not pay $600 more for a bath tub. He had plenty of room to play but honestly he was more interested in being out and about doing stuff- camp, playing putt-putt, etc.

One thing we did that I was SO thankful was I borrowed an Ergo from a friend to bring on the trip. It was a life saver. I didn't bring a stroller and could strap him to my back when I needed to have him contained or he was tired of walking. It worked great getting on/off the boat, airport, on the shore. He had never used it but loved it! It is small and lightweight so easy to back and when in a crowded area you don't have to worry about a stroller and he is not going anywhere.

You guys will have a blast!! Any questions- let me know

One thing we did that I was SO thankful was I borrowed an Ergo from a friend to bring on the trip. I

i dont know if I coulda lugged around our little one. The stroller we rented from the camp was a lifesaver for me- We rented it the first morning- it costs 25.00 for the entire week. Many times she slept while we watched the show.

Thanks for all the advice. We have a lightweight stroller that we will be taking with us. We live in Florida so that is easy. I would love to hear more about the Camp Carnival stuff though. Can you drop them off and just leave them there at 2.5? How about the pools, can they play in the pool in a swim diaper?

Also, what did you do with your young children in port? Many excursions are restricted so little ones can't join. I can't imagine they will like shopping that much.

Camps on carnival start at 2 years old- so yes, they will take your 2.5 year old.

No, he cant use the pools with a diaper or pull up. Its a health issue. Besides the pools are salt water and taken from the ocean.

FOr excursions- you can leave your child in the camp while you go to shore. But I would never feel comfortable with doing that in case something happens. (what if I miss the ship because there was an accident?)

Where are you going? maybe on the family board they can point you in the direction of toddler friendly excursions.

Our 18 month old liked to ride in the stroller while we shopped. SO much is happening and soooo many people.

At dinner we let her eat the chilled soup-- we used a straw. She loved the Strawberry soup and the Pumkin soup.

Yes you can take them to camp and drop them off! DS loved it!! They give you a schedule of activities so you can plan out what they would enjoy doing there.

We did very laid back excursions and took DS with us on them all. He had a great time. Here are some of the things that we did with him.

Excursions- -Isla Roatan-we went to the beach. Played/swam and had a blast. Grand Cayman- we did a tour of the island (hell, rum cake factory, etc) then went shopping a bit before getting back on the ship. Belize- we did a city tour. He got a bit antsy toward the end but enjoyed it. Cozumel- we had planned anohter beach day but we were on the edge of a hurricane so all the beaches were closed to swimmers- We walked WAY too far down to the other port area and did some shopping. He rode on my back until we got there then we walked around the stores and ate lunch.

After this trip- I'll probably be more willing to take him on bigger adventures next time!

Have fun!!

We sail quite often with our 2 kids aged 5 and 2. The balcony will be fine. They play in the room on the floor, bed and on the balcony. We have also done inside and outside cabins and all will be fine. Carnival has larger cabins than most lines and amazing storage space. For the shower, just buy a blow-up bathtub at target $10 in the baby section. It fits perfectly at the bottom of the shower.

What a great tip! We have a 3.5-year old. This will be her second cruise. We don't have the shower issue, as she's pretty much always taken showers. You could try taking showers at home to prepare for the cruise. If not, buy the blow-up tub.

We just book an outside cabin. DD loves looking out of the window. We bring toys that she plays with on the bed or she runs around in the cabin. No big deal. We also head to the ship library early-on. She loves that. And, we have books to read at night.

I admit, keeping her contained while we're out and about on the ship can be exhausting. We might check into an umbrella stroller this time. Thanks for the reminder.

-pitterpattershoppe

We sail quite often with our 2 kids aged 5 and 2. The balcony will be fine. They play in the room on the floor, bed and on the balcony. We have also done inside and outside cabins and all will be fine. Carnival has larger cabins than most lines and amazing storage space. For the shower, just buy a blow-up bathtub at target $10 in the baby section. It fits perfectly at the bottom of the shower.

Archived