Blue diamonds - St. Thomas or St. Maarten?

navilady2001

Some of the above posts I agree with; others I highly disagree with re. where to shop; never at a ship recommended store . They pay the cruise line thousands of dollars per month to advertised their store so your item will never appraise out much higher, if any , at home than what you paid plus I've heard horror about the hazzle you need to go through when something goes wrong if you purchased at their stores. Other points I also disagree with but can't comment on all. Been on 59 cruises; many to St. Thomas and St. Martin and have purchased jewelery from both; many times and have got fabulous deals; my things always appraise out at 2 - 4 1/2 times higher when I get them home.

The stores I shop at always stand behind their products (I haven't had any problems but a friend did and they were fabulous to let her get it fixed at home and they paid). ALso if you buy something and 1 , 5, 10 years later you want to upgrade; they will give you back exacty what you paid.

IN all my years of cruising, I have only heard of one person who bought at a store in St. Thomas called Charming on Drakes Passege (even though some of my best deals were from other stores on Drakes Passege) but definitely not from this store; my friend got taken bad. He fought with them; went back to them the next year with his appraisal from home etc. but they wouldn't do a thing! Stay away from that store. They are ruining it for many other good stores.

Email me; found under my list of cruises if you want to know additional hints and stores that I shop at. I'd be glad to share.

• 4 weeks later...

So...I bought a blue diamond ring from Venitian in Nassau...the only I noticed was the actual ring was not round...not a big deal. I also bought a blue diamond ring in St. Maarten at Kay's Fine Jewelers on Front St....my only advise after 8 months of issues is really look over your jewelry BEFORE you buy it! The blue diamond heart ring I bought was a piece of junk, 3 different white diamonds fell out of it at differnt times, the bl;ue diamonds were chipped and I came to find out by a local jeweler in my town the white diamonds were falling out because they were GLUED into the setting, ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? I called my credit card company and they could not do anything. I called Kays and told them I was calling RCL to complain. They finally got back to me and told me to send the ring back. I did (paid $34 via FedEx) and waited for they to refund my money. I was a nail biting 5 days later I finally got the refund on my credit card (I paid $1000) for this junk!!!! Needless to say, I get a stomach ache thinking about what I went through and my story did have a happy ending!!! PLEASE be careful!

So...I bought a blue diamond ring from Venitian in Nassau...the only I noticed was the actual ring was not round...not a big deal. I also bought a blue diamond ring in St. Maarten at Kay's Fine Jewelers on Front St....my only advise after 8 months of issues is really look over your jewelry BEFORE you buy it! The blue diamond heart ring I bought was a piece of junk, 3 different white diamonds fell out of it at differnt times, the bl;ue diamonds were chipped and I came to find out by a local jeweler in my town the white diamonds were falling out because they were GLUED into the setting, ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? I called my credit card company and they could not do anything. I called Kays and told them I was calling RCL to complain. They finally got back to me and told me to send the ring back. I did (paid $34 via FedEx) and waited for they to refund my money. I was a nail biting 5 days later I finally got the refund on my credit card (I paid $1000) for this junk!!!! Needless to say, I get a stomach ache thinking about what I went through and my story did have a happy ending!!! PLEASE be careful!

That's why I always recommend store I can trust! and if you had asked my advice before you went; neither of these store would have been on my list. Shameful that you also had to pay to ship it back but good they at least refunded your money. Not like my friend that paid way too much and shopped at Charming Jewellers (again... I did not recommend that store either.) and they refused to refund his money after he had it appraised at home and it appraised out much lower.

Shop at stores that are referred by faithful buyers from them. I paid $825. for my blue dimond pendant and it appraised out at home at $2775 and diamonds were of superior quality , colour etc.

Great bargains ... if you know where to shop and Bahamas would definitely not be one place!

If I know my wife, we will be jewelry shopping at some point in March. Not being a jeweler, how will we know if our stones are flawed or not set properly? These aren't things the average Joe could notice on his own...or could he?

Shop at a store that you can trust where many others have bought and had excellent service and good quality. Same question could apply back at home.

Hi,

I highly recommend Grand Jewelers. I have been buying from them for years. I have an absolutely stunning blue diamond ring. I constantly get compliments on this ring and it is something you just can't find in the stores in the states.

Ask for Jacky (owner). Tell him I sent you. He is extremely fair.

All of my appraisals that Grand has given me have been accepted by my insurance company. They are a very reliable and trustworthy store.

Good luck! You will love your blue diamond!!

PS...Grand in St. Thomas ask for Jacky....that is where I purchased my blue diamond....

We have been dealing with Jacky for years also--have many pieces from Grand and will stop to see them in February (even though I keep saying I don't neeeeeed anything) we have taken friends there who have also been very pleased--We get a Christmas Card from them every year--Tell them Vicki from Wisconsin says Hi! It is nice to see others have had the experience we have had with them.

We have been dealing with Jacky for years also--have many pieces from Grand and will stop to see them in February (even though I keep saying I don't neeeeeed anything) we have taken friends there who have also been very pleased--We get a Christmas Card from them every year--Tell them Vicki from Wisconsin says Hi! It is nice to see others have had the experience we have had with them.

They will accept any appraisaas from any jewellers; the only way you really know how much of a great deal that you got is to have the item appraised back at home. Then I turn in the appraisal from St. Thomas as then my rider on insurance won't be as high and if I do lose it, that just makes me return to St. Thoams and buy again... hard life! HA!

That's why I always recommend store I can trust! and if you had asked my advice before you went; neither of these store would have been on my list. Shameful that you also had to pay to ship it back but good they at least refunded your money. Not like my friend that paid way too much and shopped at Charming Jewellers (again... I did not recommend that store either.) and they refused to refund his money after he had it appraised at home and it appraised out much lower.

Shop at stores that are referred by faithful buyers from them. I paid $825. for my blue dimond pendant and it appraised out at home at $2775 and diamonds were of superior quality , colour etc.

Great bargains ... if you know where to shop and Bahamas would definitely not be one place!

What stores do you recommend in St. Thomas and or St Maarten?

What stores do you recommend in St. Thomas and or St Maarten?

In St. Thomas, Eden's and Ajanta on Drakes Passage but definitely not C........ (can't mention the name unless you request it) which is right next door; bad news at that one! Another good one is House Of Rajah on Gadet's Gate.

In St. Martin; Caribbean Gems on main street; there's two stores.

Very honest and will stand behind their products ; also if you tell them Marilyn from Canada referred you and you want HER price; they will start at the lowest price and you won't have to worry about how much to bargain. ... and NO; I don't make anything for sharing or referring them like some one suggested. I just love CC and many people have helped me over the years and I want to do my share to help others. I have when people buy things at these two islands which are awesome for jewellery and they pay too much and get taken; like one of my friends did by buying at a store I didn't recommend (C........) and paid WAY too much. My friends plus myself have been buying at these stores for years and everything appraises out MUCH higher when we get items appraised back at home. Happy Shopping.

In St. Thomas, Eden's and Ajanta on Drakes Passage but definitely not C........ (can't mention the name unless you request it) which is right next door; bad news at that one! Another good one is House Of Rajah on Gadet's Gate.

Very honest and will stand behind their products ; also if you tell them Marilyn from Canada referred you and you want HER price; they will start at the lowest price and you won't have to worry about how much to bargain. ... and NO; I don't make anything for sharing or referring them like some one suggested. I just love CC and many people have helped me over the years and I want to do my share to help others. I have when people buy things at these two islands which are awesome for jewellery and they pay too much and get taken; like one of my friends did by buying at a store I didn't recommend (C........) and paid WAY too much. My friends plus myself have been buying at these stores for years and everything appraises out MUCH higher when we get items appraised back at home. Happy Shopping.

Cardow Jewelers ?

Would second the suggestion of Ajanta in Drake's passage. Have bought with them several times and have always been very pleaseed with the price and the quality. As someone with a LOT of jewlery (purchased in the islands and in US) I feel comfortable recommending them to my fellow cruisers. Good Luck!

• 1 month later...
I know this has probably been asked many many times but we are in St. Thomas first--would we probably be wise to wait till St Marteen to buy or are the prices and quality comparable?

I think my people get better deals at Edens than at St. Martin ; just came back; fabulous deals in St. Thomas; if you know where to shop but beware of some stores; another horrow story about Diamond International ... stones falling out and store and ship wouldn't do anything about it for three years... then I got invovled! Need I say more.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Two of my jewelry pieces from Ballerina 2 had damage. One had a chip and the other had a LARGE inclusion that starts from the outside of the diamond. Ballerina had me ship the jewelry to Los Angeles. They kept my pieces for months.

When I finally hassled them enough, they shipped me back my pieces from St. Marteen, which means I have Fed Ex hassling me for customs fees. Not only that, but Ballerina did in fact, NOT replace the damaged diamonds.

I have been dealing with Tony from Ballerina and DO NOT recommend them. They have not only sold me jewelry uninsurable, but then kept the jewelry for months, shipped it out of the country, then shipped it back to me unrepaired/unreplaced.

These dishonest business practices have been incredibly frustrating. They claim that since the inclusion can't be seen with the naked eye, it is not a problem. It is a problem as the piece cannot be insured and no one in their right mind would buy that diamond as the inclusion is rather large (I was able to view it today), nor can it be reasonably cut to remove the inclusion without almost completely diminishing the value.

Tony has refused to remedy this issue. Please beware of Ballerina.

• 1 month later...
UPDATE:

Two of my jewelry pieces from Ballerina 2 had damage. One had a chip and the other had a LARGE inclusion that starts from the outside of the diamond. Ballerina had me ship the jewelry to Los Angeles. They kept my pieces for months.

When I finally hassled them enough, they shipped me back my pieces from St. Marteen, which means I have Fed Ex hassling me for customs fees. Not only that, but Ballerina did in fact, NOT replace the damaged diamonds.

I have been dealing with Tony from Ballerina and DO NOT recommend them. They have not only sold me jewelry uninsurable, but then kept the jewelry for months, shipped it out of the country, then shipped it back to me unrepaired/unreplaced.

These dishonest business practices have been incredibly frustrating. They claim that since the inclusion can't be seen with the naked eye, it is not a problem. It is a problem as the piece cannot be insured and no one in their right mind would buy that diamond as the inclusion is rather large (I was able to view it today), nor can it be reasonably cut to remove the inclusion without almost completely diminishing the value.

Tony has refused to remedy this issue. Please beware of Ballerina.

Sorry to hear about your issues with Ballerina. We have always had good luck dealing with the Jewelry Boutique (which is part of the Ballerina chain) that is at 62 Front Street. We have not only bought excellent pieces, but have had pieces bought elsewhere fixed, clasp issues, lost stones, etc. This store handles more of the designer (Samuel B, John Hardy, Pandora, etc for Ballerina) lines.

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry to hear about your issues with Ballerina. We have always had good luck dealing with the Jewelry Boutique (which is part of the Ballerina chain) that is at 62 Front Street. We have not only bought excellent pieces, but have had pieces bought elsewhere fixed, clasp issues, lost stones, etc. This store handles more of the designer (Samuel B, John Hardy, Pandora, etc for Ballerina) lines.

We too have had excellent service from Jewelry Boutique, most recently I had to return a bracelet to Omni (will never go to them again)as they refused to replace it with anything of comparable carat or gram after 3 months of excuses I demanded a refund which they also were slow about so we had to call and call, I contacted Jewelry boutique whom I had dealt with for a ring for hubs and earrings for me when there in January, I contacted Ronnie and told him what I wanted what I wanted to spend and he worked with me via email and phone over a course of less than 3 weeks with pictures to get me a replacement bracelet. His efforts were beyond excellent service. My bracelet is stunning and he matched gram and carat for a better price in less time. I have it on my wrist as I write, so yes Jewelry boutique @ 62 Front street and ask for Ronnie he is great and will take excellent care of you :D

• 3 weeks later...
Also, I spent about $40k on jewelry on that cruise, so it's not as if I am stating that every piece of jewelry I bought was damaged. Even my damaged jewelry appraised for more than what I paid, but my concern is that my damaged pieces aren't insurable. Slight chips, moderate chips, heavily chipped. Grand Jeweler's sold me one damaged ring, Ballerina sold me two, including diamond stud earrings and a diamond ring.

Jessicazi,

Did you get your problem resolved? I know that Grand Jewelers would want to hear if you have a problem. They are very reliable. Ask for Jacky and tell him what happened. They are very customer oriented. I have bought from them for years without any problems. They always told me if I had a problem to let them know. I love all the jewelry I have purchased from them and it is like the day I bought it. Good luck!

My husband bought a beautiful blue diamond (loose stone) at Kays on St Kitts. He had those jewelers mount it in a ring he already owned. They were very professional and correctly identified the original stones in the ring (there were both a cz and some real diamonds) which we already knew. It is a beautiful ring and we are well satisfied. They were recommended by the cruise ship.

My husband bought a beautiful blue diamond (loose stone) at Kays on St Kitts. He had those jewelers mount it in a ring he already owned. They were very professional and correctly identified the original stones in the ring (there were both a cz and some real diamonds) which we already knew. It is a beautiful ring and we are well satisfied. They were recommended by the cruise ship.

Did you get it appriased when you got home? Still satisfied?

Sores that are recommended by cruise line pay anywhere from 20 - 50,000 a WEEK to get their stores advertised. Can alwys get a better deal elsewhere. Next time try Diamond Island in St. Kits and ask for Marilyn's price. You will be shocked at the difference.

Archived