Callwood Rum Distillery Question

seahunters2000

Does anyone know how far Callwood Rum Distillery is from Cane Garden Beach? Is it within walking distance? How many minutes/miles? Also is the rum any good? What about prices for a liter? I would like to take a taxi to Callwood,then walk to Cane Garden & then taxi back to the ship. Is that doable? Has anyone done this?

Does anyone know how far Callwood Rum Distillery is from Cane Garden Beach? Is it within walking distance? How many minutes/miles? Also is the rum any good? What about prices for a liter? I would like to take a taxi to Callwood,then walk to Cane Garden & then taxi back to the ship. Is that doable? Has anyone done this?

Callwood's is basically right AT the beach, on the inland side (away from the beach) of the main drag road that runs parallel to the beach. It might be a 5-10 minute walk from the very north or south end of the cove, but it's probably only 50-100 yards back from the south-center area. If you are going to be at the beach on an excursion, you could pop over on foot, take the $1 "tour", taste a shot or two, buy a bottle to take home, and be back on the beach in 15 minutes.

Here is a webpage with a map of CGB:

http://www.bareboatsbvi.com/map_cane_garden_bay.html

I have to confess the last time I was there was over 30 years ago, while on a bareboat sail charter, but from what I see on various sites on the web, it hasn't changed much! In those days if you brought in a clean empty coca-cola bottle, they would fill it with the simple white unaged cane rum for you for $1, $2 if they had to provide the bottle. Jimmy Buffett later immortalized Callwoods in his song Manana.

A search on google brought up tons of good info, including reviews on TripAdvisor with current prices, etc. I think now they have three types (white cane, aged amber, and "spiced") Don't know if I'd ride a taxi over the "mountain" just to go to the distillery when there is so much else to see and do at CGB, but Callwood's is definitely a one-of-a kind experience that is fast disappearing, so don't pass up a chance to see it while on Tortola.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived