Costa Classica - back to answer your questions!

mkhannah

Costa Classica as operating in Asia, very definitely has kettle and tea/coffe making facilities in each Stateroom .

Continental Breakfast for early risers available in Buffet, before full breakfast service in both buffet and MDR .

Room service breakfast order night before, no extra cost .

thanks to all for a welcome wealth of information. Did anyone else use one of the transfer services into Bangkok? I know imagelimo has a sterling reputation for reliability and I have a quote from them. I am hoping someone might be reading this thread who is also on the Mar. 12th sailing and would like to share- Gordmar maybe???

Did anyone stop in Kuantan or Ko Samui that could shed a little insight on those 2 stops, there was the least information or impressions on those 2 ports of call? Would really love to know what it was like there, easy into town or were you a ways away? Festive? bland? markets? anything you did while you were there? Any memories at all would be hugely appreciated!! Thank You!

thanks to all for a welcome wealth of information. Did anyone else use one of the transfer services into Bangkok? I know imagelimo has a sterling reputation for reliability and I have a quote from them. I am hoping someone might be reading this thread who is also on the Mar. 12th sailing and would like to share- Gordmar maybe???

Did anyone stop in Kuantan or Ko Samui that could shed a little insight on those 2 stops, there was the least information or impressions on those 2 ports of call? Would really love to know what it was like there, easy into town or were you a ways away? Festive? bland? markets? anything you did while you were there? Any memories at all would be hugely appreciated!! Thank You!

Hiya,

We didn't get off at Kuantan as we didn't feel there was much time to see things and it was (from memory) an industrial port.

In Ko Samui we got a local taxi driver to take us to the beach...it was ok weather for it but we found the beach (name began with a C or Ch...can't remember exactly now) to be really dirty (eg rubbish all over). So we didn't stay there for long. Also if you're planning on going to the beaches, all the places we saw charge you to use their beach chairs (though it's not that expensive)...so make sure you have some money with you! We didn't pay for any chairs as we were rather unimpressed with the lack of cleanliness on the beaches (and were also concerned about stepping in syringes or broken glass)...so we left the beach pretty soon.

We went walking around the local shops which had a market kinda feel to them. You could bargain with the shop owners easily.

this was also the stop where we restocked chips, chocolate etc (for very cheap prices!). It was much appreciated - I always tend to miss the bits of junk food while cruising.

We then went and had a Thai massage...they start from around 200 baht for an hour, and then get more expensive if you want variations eg oil massage etc. I think we paid around $8AUD for a one hour oil massage, and it was sooooo relaxing - I'd highly recommend it. (There were massage parlours everywhere, all with pretty much the same pricing). They also did other things like manicures, pedicures etc.

Hope that helps a bit!

OH and in relation to currency, most taxi drivers (if you hire them) are happy to stop at ATMs or Money Changers (esp if they know you need to change money to pay them!). We always (and this is for all the stops) asked them to take us to a "safe" ATM as we heard some can be dangerous to use in terms of risk of credit card skimming...though I don't know if this made a difference at all. Definitely don't change money onboard Costa (5 euro fee to change money plus bad bad bad exchange rates).

Patatie, our thanks for all the tips and your help in keeping this thread alive and active for the rest of us on this same itinerary. And to everyone for their insights. I know lots of people are viewing all this, they may not have anything new to add, but they may also be enjoying the tips and suggestions- so thanks everyone and feel free to keep adding should anything else come to mind or if anyone else comes back. I'll post as well when we get back towards the end of March. And I'll keep checking this thread!

Hiya,

We didn't get off at Kuantan as we didn't feel there was much time to see things and it was (from memory) an industrial port.

In Ko Samui we got a local taxi driver to take us to the beach...it was ok weather for it but we found the beach (name began with a C or Ch...can't remember exactly now) to be really dirty (eg rubbish all over). So we didn't stay there for long. Also if you're planning on going to the beaches, all the places we saw charge you to use their beach chairs (though it's not that expensive)...so make sure you have some money with you! We didn't pay for any chairs as we were rather unimpressed with the lack of cleanliness on the beaches (and were also concerned about stepping in syringes or broken glass)...so we left the beach pretty soon.

We went walking around the local shops which had a market kinda feel to them. You could bargain with the shop owners easily.

this was also the stop where we restocked chips, chocolate etc (for very cheap prices!). It was much appreciated - I always tend to miss the bits of junk food while cruising.

We then went and had a Thai massage...they start from around 200 baht for an hour, and then get more expensive if you want variations eg oil massage etc. I think we paid around $8AUD for a one hour oil massage, and it was sooooo relaxing - I'd highly recommend it. (There were massage parlours everywhere, all with pretty much the same pricing). They also did other things like manicures, pedicures etc.

Hope that helps a bit!

OH and in relation to currency, most taxi drivers (if you hire them) are happy to stop at ATMs or Money Changers (esp if they know you need to change money to pay them!). We always (and this is for all the stops) asked them to take us to a "safe" ATM as we heard some can be dangerous to use in terms of risk of credit card skimming...though I don't know if this made a difference at all. Definitely don't change money onboard Costa (5 euro fee to change money plus bad bad bad exchange rates).

Thanks so much for all the information. I'll be a first-time cruiser in March, and every little bit more that I know before getting onboard (like, no shampoo supplied!) will help make my trip a memorable one. Anything else I should be sure to bring with me?

Thanks so much for all the information. I'll be a first-time cruiser in March, and every little bit more that I know before getting onboard (like, no shampoo supplied!) will help make my trip a memorable one. Anything else I should be sure to bring with me?

Off the top of my head.....sunscreen, sea sick tablets, your own soap/body wash and body lotion (I didn't fancy Costa's)...there are some great packing threads on here that are probably alot more detailed/helpful and have some great ideas about what to pack that alot of people never think of! Hope that helps.

Don't forget the Aerogard - also you might want to "borrow" their dry face cloths when you go ashore - take a couple - these are handy for wiping away the sweat from your face. If you use theirs - you bring them back and they wash them - then you have clean one's the next day. Or take a couple of your own

• 2 weeks later...

Costa Classica 9 Apil 2011

That is just what I was going to ask - tea/coffee making facilities in Cabin ? I love a cuppa as soon as I wake. PLUS

Is Langkawi walk off or by tender. I understand last tender to return/join ship is half an hour before departure, wherever ship docks, and plans must be made accordingly. I have a trip planned for that day.

My biggest concern is getting from Laem Chabang to Bangkok. Is it walk off or tender ? Because we can only get to Bangkok by 10.30 am we are restricted to city DIY tours. This will be 12 April and as its Thai New Year we need to take spare clothing as everyone drenches one another. (should be a laugh). We plan to hire a River and canal trip boat, see the Grand Palace/temples etc, then go to the Siam Niramit Show, and then back by Taxi. We will get back anytime from 12 pm to 1 am. Are there any restriction about boarding the boat at that time ? Is Laem Chabang walk off or tender ?

We have Tour Guide quotes and can only say 'sounds like a rip off to me'. They quote Siam Niramit tickets, that they can get 'Oh so cheap' for Bt1250 to Bt1520 but I have found on line for Bt 980. It's the transport that bothers me most (we are 4 persons). First it is one price and then it's - you must have mini bus for comfort and the 4 times as much, and the price keeps rising.

I may have to book a Mini Bus and am looking for fellow cruisers to join us and share expenses.

Its this docking and return bit that will govern our plans. Any advice please ?

Costa Classica 9 Apil 2011

That is just what I was going to ask - tea/coffee making facilities in Cabin ? I love a cuppa as soon as I wake. PLUS

Is Langkawi walk off or by tender. I understand last tender to return/join ship is half an hour before departure, wherever ship docks, and plans must be made accordingly. I have a trip planned for that day.

My biggest concern is getting from Laem Chabang to Bangkok. Is it walk off or tender ? Because we can only get to Bangkok by 10.30 am we are restricted to city DIY tours. This will be 12 April and as its Thai New Year we need to take spare clothing as everyone drenches one another. (should be a laugh). We plan to hire a River and canal trip boat, see the Grand Palace/temples etc, then go to the Siam Niramit Show, and then back by Taxi. We will get back anytime from 12 pm to 1 am. Are there any restriction about boarding the boat at that time ? Is Laem Chabang walk off or tender ?

We have Tour Guide quotes and can only say 'sounds like a rip off to me'. They quote Siam Niramit tickets, that they can get 'Oh so cheap' for Bt1250 to Bt1520 but I have found on line for Bt 980. It's the transport that bothers me most (we are 4 persons). First it is one price and then it's - you must have mini bus for comfort and the 4 times as much, and the price keeps rising.

I may have to book a Mini Bus and am looking for fellow cruisers to join us and share expenses.

Its this docking and return bit that will govern our plans. Any advice please ?

Tea and coffee making facilities exist in cabins - tea and coffee is provided as well as a small kettle...either this thread or another answers this question (possibly with more detail).

Langkawi is walk off.

Laem Chabang is walk off. The thing with alot of quotes (at least this is what I found) is that the price of the tour gets pushed up dramatically by the fact that the port is so far from Bangkok itself. I think (after having done heaps of research trying to find a tour company myself) that this is just something you have to accept, or just not go into the city. That being said, local operators still work out cheaper than going with the cruise ship...I think especially when there are more of you. Perhaps you know others (or could communicate with others on this forum) who would be happy to do a shared tour and/or shared transport? I don't really know any other options...you are fairly limited in that obviously access is only available to those companies who advertise themselves on the net...I don't remember if there were any taxis waiting around to be honest, as our tour guide was there very early and we met her early. We toured with a company called Tour with Tong. They were not the absolute cheapest, but they had excellent reviews both on this forum and the Trip Adviser website, and we would highly recommend them.

There didn't appear to be any restrictions about boarding back at any time...we did get back around 8 or 9 pm but one of the tour groups run by the cruise got in around midnight/1am. Also in Phuket we got back on the ship around midnight (at which time most of the crew were leaving the ship, lol)...so assuming everything is kept fairly uniform across ports, no, you should not have a problem returning at this time.

Hi, I have just found an excellent deal for the April cruise on Costa Classica and are thinking of taking it with my two daughters. Just wondering if anyone had any experience of the kids club? OR alternatively is anyone travelling on that cruise with kids? Its close to the Aust school holidays so hoping that we might meet other Aust kids on board. Finally, I've read the bad reviews and wonder if these are over stated. We have cruised before on Super Star Virgo and also on MSC Magnifica. I understand Classic is not in the same league as these ships but is it still a good experience? And clean? Travelling with kids I don't want anyone getting sick...

Thanks for your help.

Hi rugbyfan

What date is your cruise - and how long for?

The Classica is nothing like the Virgo - even though I haven't been on it yet - I know that much. It would be very clean - no one has said different - and I have only been one one other Costa ship - and that was clean. Been on the Pacific Sun - and had to be hand served in the buffet because of the Novo Virus. Haven't heard anything about the Novo Virus on a Costa ship. I think you would be very safe. The Virgo now is a more than help your self - it's a free scrum for the food - and the tongues seemed to be for ornamental purposes only - I take it you haven't been on it for a while. The Classica is about 3 and half stars - clean - comfy - no frills. You find that negative reviews always find their way on the boards quicker than positive - and are usually posted by non members. Just book it.

We are going on April 16th and taking a 16 year old and a 12 year old - both boys and Aussies

Hi Dizzy

We're on your cruise except we board a week earlier and go to Bangkok as well. Thanks for your comments. I am suprised to hear that about Virgo - it was nearly five years ago that we cruised and loved it. I gathered from comments on Cruise Critic that things have changed due to a new clientele. What a shame.

I'm probably more worried about the bad reviews for Costa because its only been eight months since me and the kids were on Magnifica which is just a gorgeous ship and very new. The Classica is a different kettle of fish altogether but the price and itinerary are very appealing.

I would love to hear any feedback about the kids club if anyone can help...

Thanks

Hi folks

I am sailing on the Costa Classica from Singapore on 12th March 2011, and I am wondering if there is any drinks packages available on this cruise, I can't find them on the Costa website, if anyone could post a link or tell me how to book them if they are available

Hi Alfie14

Have a look further down the board to the thread "Costa Drink Packages" There is the J2, X1 and non alcoholic packages (boys and girls cards) but can be used for adults. You need to book the J2 and/or X1 at least two weeks before your cruise. If you have booked through a TA you need to contact them - they could say they know nothing about them (sometimes happens) but pester them to contact Costa. If you booked through Costa you need to go through them for the drinks. Read that mentioned thread - loads of info in there. It's about 16 down on the boards

Hi Dizzy

We're on your cruise except we board a week earlier and go to Bangkok as well. Thanks for your comments. I am suprised to hear that about Virgo - it was nearly five years ago that we cruised and loved it. I gathered from comments on Cruise Critic that things have changed due to a new clientele. What a shame.

I'm probably more worried about the bad reviews for Costa because its only been eight months since me and the kids were on Magnifica which is just a gorgeous ship and very new. The Classica is a different kettle of fish altogether but the price and itinerary are very appealing.

I would love to hear any feedback about the kids club if anyone can help...

Thanks

Hi Rugbyfan

My family (including son 12 & daughter 10) was recently on the Costa Classica. My children had experienced the kids clubs on the P&O Pacific Sun the year before and they had a wonderful time, so wonderful that I had to make the rule that they must join us each evening in in MDR as we didn't see them all day!!

So from the onset the Classica was going to have trouble meeting their expectations in many ways, the kids club being one of them. Suffice to say, they both tried their respective kids clubs on the Classica and didn't enjoy them (in fact they went the once and didn't go again).

The main differences between the P&O experience and this one seemed to be:

Costa Classica was far more multicultural and therefore the kids clubs had children from many different countries. In my daughter's age group there were some Italian girls, a French girl and a German girl. So while this was exciting for her to meet children from other countries, none of these girls could speak English and therefore the novelty soon wore off.

Classica tended to put larger age groups together which often meant that the activities were not age appropriate for everyone. So she found some of the activities babyish and thought they were more suited to the 4 & 5 year olds in the groups.

That said, the staff running the kids clubs were very friendly and went out of their way to make the kids welcome. They would receive "we missed you" notes if they didn't attend certain parties or things.

But there were plenty of kids who seemed really happy in the clubs, I guess it is just one of those things that didn't work for my kids this time round. It also didn't help that we picked up the cruise half way through so many of the kids met up on day 1 and my kids seemed to come in on day 7.

Hope this gives you some insight. The rest of the cruise & the ship was brilliant, we all loved it.

Archived