Mexican Phone Cards

BEFdoc

Hi,

looking at a trip to Mexican Rivera and years ago used a Mexican Phone Card to save money when calling to the states. Does anyone do this anymore? As I know with all the cell phones it is getting harder and harder to find a public pay phone. Your replies are greatly appreciated.

Hi,

looking at a trip to Mexican Rivera and years ago used a Mexican Phone Card to save money when calling to the states. Does anyone do this anymore? As I know with all the cell phones it is getting harder and harder to find a public pay phone. Your replies are greatly appreciated.

If you have a cell phone, you can get temporary international service at a reasonable price. If not, ask the crew on the ship.

They know where all the pay phones are. Also many of them use the internet cafes and wifi zones to contact their homes.

I see you are with us next week. Are you going to attend the meet and greet ? It will be at 11:30am first sea day in Le Bistro. Go to roll call for the Star for that date and sign up if you are interested.

Unlike the United States, pay telephones can be found everywhere along the Pacific Coast of Mexico - where I've visited. I don't use phone cards in Mexico, other than the Telmex pre-paid cards for long distance back to the USA. I don't call back often - it's rare that I would. I communicated via email. I don't have kids at home, or others I need to check on and I don't do any work when traveling on vacation - so my needs may be different than other folks. The LADA cards from Telmex in Mexico (the principal telephone company) can be purchased in various denominations at convenience stores, news stands, and many other places. Just ask around, if you're interested. Have a great trip!

Here is a tip about phones in Mexico. If you get yourself an ATT GoPhone (these are pre-paid cell phones available in many retailers and ATT stores) you can use them in Mexico at the same price as in the states. These phones end up costing 25 cents a minute (with the basic pre-paid plan) and there are no other fees to call the USA. We live in Mexico a couple of months a year and rely on our GoPhone for any call to or from the USA. Another nice feature is that anyone can call you from the states using your GoPhone number (a local USA phone number) and it costs them nothing. You do pay the 25 cents a minute even for received calls, but its a bargain when you consider the convenience. Unlike many cell phones there are no monthly fees with GoPhones if you get the pay as you go plan.

Hank

Wow, great advice from all. Will take advice of buying card down there. Longer stay would buy ATT go phone. Sounds like great deal. Swedish Weave, yup on same cruise and posted on Roll call already. Think we talked briefly about Mariner... Yes I will sign up for M&G and look forward to seeing you there. Thanks again.

Archived