taxi fares from Falmouth to Montego Bay area

lrcruising

• 2 months later...
I know RCCL is not at Falmouth yet, but does anyone have an idea about how much a taxi would cost????

We will be porting in Falmouth on March 31st and have been researching taxi options at length. We kept finding one expensive quote after another ($130-180 round trip). We then saw a recommendation for Gregg Connell on this message board, or Trip Advisor (I forget..)

On his website, he offers a tour for $40pp (going to Doctor Cave Beach in MoBay). We emailed him seperately and he quoted us $20pp for transport into Moay (to Cornwall Beach). It is not a private taxi, it will be with other people. Also, he requires a minimum 25% deposit, rather than full payment, which for us was a risk worth taking.

Gregg Connell

Reggae Tours Customer Support

Telephone: 1-876-570-2983

Email: info@reggae-tours.com

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our cruise. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with the port area in Falmouth. We were greeted by welcome music, stilt-walkers making balloon animals, a Rasta fellow that was very amusing, and very friendly people. Mind you - when you leave the immediate port area, Falmouth is very impoverished and is not a place I would wander on my own.

Now, Reggae Tours - I promised follow-up comments. We picked up a van (Toyota flat-nosed van, seats 6) next to the taxi station. We rode with one other couple. Patrick was our driver. He was very quiet at first, but opened up eventually. I was thankful that he wasn't talking more than he had to, because the driving in Jamaica in just crazy! People pass other cars, even if there is not clearance - but people there are courteous and they move to the shoulder to allow passage... Patrick was a brilliant driver, on-time for our return and a genuinely nice guy. We would definitely use Reggae Tours again. Very professional. A++!!

Another note - we paid $20pp round trip to Cornwall Beach. (The same place as Royal Caribbean's "Irie Mon Beach Break". The beach was nice, but there was only a small restaurant that served what we call "pub food". Burgers, fish nuggets, chicken nuggets, etc. Do try a traditional Jamaican treat called "festival". It tastes a bit like fried dough. Ask for Marvin if you go to Cornwall Beach!! He is a great guy and will take care of you. If you want more restaurant variety, go to Doctor's Cave Beach...it is a bit more of a tourist-trap, but you'll get better food.

Just a note--I read here that a good idea was to take the RC shuttle to Rose Hall and then a taxi in to Mo'Bay (Doc's Cave Beach) to keep taxi costs down. Well, once underway on the free shuttle, the RC/Rose Hall rep advised the whole bus that there were NO TAXIS at Rose Hall. So, apparently, they read CC also! Rose Hall was gated! I guess they CAN keep the taxis out if they ant to. Don't get trapped at Rose Hall. Find a way to MoBay!!!

Oh, and Falmouth? Ecchh! Only good thing about it were some of the vendors.

Archived