Currency & Day Trips on the islands

SeaboundQT

Hello - we are doing the Southern Caribbean itinerary in March on the Summit, departing from San Juan. The islands include St. Thomas, St. Martin, Antigua, St. Lucia and Barbados. As never having been to any of these islands before, could someone please tell me if I need the local currency in each place (to pay for taxi's, etc.) or will all accept US dollars? Secondly, on these islands, we were not going to book any excursions through the ship, but rather get a taxi and explore on our own. Will this be easy to do in these islands? (we want to go to the beaches in the morning, and then explore the towns in the afternoons). Plus, my husband used to live in Barbados and St. Lucia when he was younger, so we are hoping to get a taxi to find his old school, house, etc. Just wondering if they are easily accessible all over the islands? Thanks so much in advance for any advice you may have!

All accept US $. Taxis are easy to find on each island. It is wise to negotiate a price upfront, and if you aren't happy with it, move on to another. (although some islands have government mandated rates - I am not sure which are which but if you read the ports of call boards here, or search for island info on the internet you will find what you need). Also, they generally will quote rates in US $, but it is also wise to ask to make sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived