Review: Serenade of the Seas January 15, 2011

Day 5: St. Kitts

Many years ago I went on a Catamaran tour in St. Kitts and it was probably the best ship sponsored excursion I ever went on. After browsing the excursion for this trip and doing some research online I determined that the “Catamaran Fan-Ta-Sea” excursion that Royal Caribbean offers was indeed the tour I went on years prior. Knowing this, I was very excited the morning we arrived in St. Kitts. After grabbing a quick bite to eat in the Windjammer we met on the pier at 8:15 and were soon taken to our Catamaran, “Spirit.”

The catamaran itself was 78 feet long and in very nice condition. There were probably around 45-50 of us on the tour and once we all boarded the crew introduced themselves. The crew included Ricky, Damian, Ivan as well as a couple others whose names escape me. I immediately recognized Ivan, a short guy with a hat filled with dreadlocks. During the last Catamaran tour I recall him walking several Carib beers down to me and a buddy down the beach. The most memorable catamaran crew member from my last visit, Elvis, was nowhere to be seen. On the past trip I remember him being quite a character, dancing with anyone and everyone o n the boat. I figured he was no longer with the company and despite his absence I still knew we would have a great time.

We were given a general overview of the day including what to expect and what to do and what not to do. We then shoved off and began our sail to our snorkel location off of the coast of St. Kitts with some Bob Marley and other reggae bumping in the background.

1730012378_castingoff.jpg.b2ad46e642680e1a350d88fa9ca48058.jpg

260937255_ivanandrickyhoistsale.jpg.481403ae612d519008966834528863c3.jpg

Our group perched right in front of the windows on the bow giving us a nice backrest and ample dry sunshine. Many other people opted to sit on the front netting of the catamaran, but having been on several before I knew that sitting there was a recipe for wetness. Sure enough, shortly into the sail one guy continued to get blasted with water as we bobbed through the waves. It did not take long for him to look like a wet poodle.

Perhaps after 45 minutes to an hour of motor sailing we reached the snorkel spot, where we were given 45 minutes to explore. Having snorkeled on many different islands I was not too excited to go snorkeling here, but I decided to go anyway. Right before I got in the water I saw small fishing boat come up next to us and drop off another crew member, none other than Elvis. Apparently he works on, “Eagle,” the sister boat to the one we were on and his tour was cancelled. For whatever reason he decided to meet up with our boat and at the end of the day we were all glad he did.

The snorkeling really wasn’t that great, but it was nice to dip into water and cool off. Once everyone was back on board the bar opened up and we continued on our Journey to Nevis where we would have a grilled lunch and some beach time. Rum punch and beer began flowing…

After approximately 45 minutes of sailing we arrived at Nevis on an isolated beach not far from the Four Seasons resort. The catamaran pulled up on shore and we all got off to enjoy a delicious grilled lunch including Caribbean spiced chicken, pasta salads, a really good coconut salad, hot dogs and of course rum punch. Some people remained in the lunch area, while others hung out on the beach or in the water. We had around an hour at the beach before we began our hour and a half sail home. This was when things really picked up. Rum punch started flowing even more, they cranked up the Soca music and people began dancing and singing. The back of the boat became a dance floor and many of the crew members lead the passengers in different dances. Some passengers were rowdier than others and all appeared to be having a good time.

1406983313_socadanceparty.jpg.123b410e674bba04eb650f93edd91061.jpg

The tour provided a good combination of relaxation, sunshine, watersports, more sunshine, rum punch, sunshine, dancing and more. Next time I’m in St. Kitts I will definitely take the tour again for the third time.

serenade.jpg.08593ffe099f9e909a016507fb5dedcb.jpg

Before getting off the Catamaran we took many pictures with the crew then wandered around the port shops.

2135869117_groupandcrew.jpg.65a183a291b29f4786a2236004bbfb41.jpg

The ladies got a couple pictures with the baby monkeys and then we reboarded the ship. I went to the room for a quick nap then somehow got the energy to head to the gym to run a few miles. The rocking of the ship has never bothered me, even in rough waters, but I must say it is hard to run on a treadmill in moderate seas. I managed to get two miles in when I surrendered and called it a day in the gym. I wandered down to the room and learned that the guys wanted to grab a drink before dinner so I freshened up quickly and the three of us headed to the Schooner bar. Here we were greeted by our server buddy, Dylan (sp?). Over the previous days we’d gotten to know him well and we always enjoyed seeing him and ordering a drink or two from him.

Dinner came and went and six of us went to the Safari Lounge for “The Quest” at 10:30pm. We showed up a bit early and had a cocktail to “loosen” up for the competition. On our other two cruises as a group we had participated and got second place both times. This time around we had to be on our “A” game. As is typical the tasks started out tame and gradually became more “exotic.” For those who have not attended the Quest I will not give you all the details, but will say that a couple of our male team members had to put themselves in pretty uncomfortable situations. In end we got second place and celebrated in the Schooner bar.

[Day 6: Dominica

1761180300_Dominicaport.jpg.8504e446dddeb0988b7f23db2b89a5cd.jpg

Today was probably the day I most look forward to for two reasons. First, I had never been to Dominica and was excited to explore a new building and second, we had planned an action packed day with Donaldson of Nature Isle Explorers. We were also excited to have a day out of the sun. Having researched Dominica extensively on these boards and reading recent Serenade reviews I decided on Nature Isle Explorers. I contacted Donaldson via email a few weeks before arrival and within hours he responded back that he was wide open on the day we were to visit. Many tours are offered, but we opted for the “Dominica’s Most Captivating” tour, which includes a hike to Middleham Falls and visits to TItou Gorge and Trafalgar Falls.

Since we were to meet Donaldson bright and early at 8am on the pier we decided to order room service for breakfast. Unfortunately when we woke up we realized that we forgot to put out the room service card. We knew we would need plenty of fuel for our long day ahead so we got ready and made a quick stop at the Windjammer. Upon getting off the ship we spotted Donaldson’s smiling face immediately. He introduced us to our cab driver for the day, Cecil AKA Sexy and we were off. No more than five minutes after leaving Roseau we were climbing narrow and windy roads heading up the mountain.

drive.jpg.af4b824c1f629178f0b86193f26a2961.jpg

The views were incredible and Sexy stopped several times so Donaldson could point out different landmarks, plants and other noteworthy items. Despite being in his early twenties, Donaldson has spent many years in the tour business and knows the island very well. After and informative and view filled 45 minute drive we reached the parking lot for Middleham falls.

From reading other reviews I knew that we had roughly a 45 minute hike ahead of us covering about two miles of terrain. It had rained the day prior and the trail was quite wet, but manageable, thanks to the hundreds of steps along the trail. Naturally, Donaldson lead the way and paced the group well. He was always willing to offer a helping hand in more difficult areas. Along the way he pointed out many native species of plants including mangos, bananas, and a tree that they call “Natural ******.” Apparently locals put shavings from this tree into their rum to make for a more exciting night. I’ll take Donaldson’s word for it…

After 45 minutes on the trail we finally reached our final destination. A large deck served as an overlook to Middleham Falls, which falls from nearly 300 feet up collects in a moderate sized pool.

1399595714_middlehamfalls.jpg.8c7b240d03507ea0779b1c528f89fbed.jpg

832281225_middlehamfalls2.jpg.9e46c26c89345e9e182da53e72c01fe7.jpg

The climb down to the pool from the deck looked daunting, but it really wasn’t that bad and well worth tackling. Upon reaching the bottom we dipped in the pool, which couldn’t have been more than 55 degrees. We then swam to the other side of the pool, climbed behind the waterfall and then jumped through the waterfall back into the pool. Given the temperature we didn’t stay in the pool long and after a few minutes we climbed out, took some pictures then made the 45 minute trek back to the parking lot.

The hike back was much more manageable and seemed quicker than the before. Not far from the end of the trail I thought it was surprising that no one had slipped on the slick trail. Only a few minutes later I lost my footing and found lying amongst plants and mud.

hikefall.jpg.adb712e97c9ff2afc3c0e27001acf603.jpg

Fortunately I didn’t get hurt and we all had a good laugh. A few minutes later we were bag in the van and on our way to Titou Gorge.

road.jpg.d6c820836b32051714a80e9763a6d349.jpg

Titou Gorge didn’t look like much from the road, but upon getting closer we knew we were in for something unique, particularly when we were given flotation belts for the trip. Leading up to the gorge is a moderate sized pool of water that is about 3 feet deep.

titou1.jpg.c0de0ed19450fba9a42b276db2b4de2c.jpg

The edge of the pool is adjacent to a 60 foot cliff formed from volcano ash that has a gorge right in the middle approximately 10 feet wide.

titou2.jpg.4ad06d71585295841ed21168080e6395.jpg

As one swims into the gorge the water gets deeper, the current picks up and the sound of rushing water gets louder. A waterfall is located at the back of the gorge and in order to make the last third of the swim Donaldson assisted us using a life ring that he pulled using a rope to help offset the current. Once we reached the end, we had the option to climb up into the waterfall and jump back into the pool. I opted out of this option, given the strong current, but those who did said it was worth it. We later learned that scenes from Pirates of the Caribbean, Deadman’s Chest were filmed here. I’m not familiar enough with the movie to know which part.

Following our visit to Titou Gorge we drove for 10-15 minutes to Trafalgar Falls. Along the way Donaldson continued to point out native plants, flowers and fruits. I was surprised to learn that there are over 40 types of mangoes. I suppose they’re like apples. It was during this time that it started pouring, which was expected given we were in the rainforest on an island that gets 360 inches of rain annually. Despite the rain, Donaldson did not hesitate to get out of the van on a couple occasions to show us coffee berries and other fruits. Upon our arrival at the Trafalgar Falls we braved the rain and made the 10 minute hike to a viewin platform where we got a respite from the rain and a great view of Trafalgar Falls. Then a short hike later we were at the hot springs, where we eagerly hopped into the 94 degree water and relaxed for 15-20 minutes. It was definitely appreciated after a long day trekking through the rainforest. Upon returning back to the van Donaldson surprised us with a cold round of the local beer, Kubuli.

On the drive back to fort we drove by the school bus that was crushed by Hurricane David in 1979, drove through the botanical gardens, and saw a crazy looking local standing on the side of the street with a boa constrictor. After having a wonderful day we were sad to say farewell to Donaldson and Sexy at the pier, but assured them that we would make it back someday.

hike1.jpg.8068d4b9938537f1dccfcc745cd8e287.jpg

hike2.jpg.c9975e5dd142039ff8fa0eabbaa823c1.jpg

Day 6: Barbados

welcome.jpg.d2f50d39041fe2aac47338d202e65456.jpg

We were up bright and early this morning for the Tiami Sail, Snorkel and Turtles excursion. We were set to meet our group on the pier at 8:15, but the ship was a bit late in letting passenger get off so we may have been a few minutes late. After a brief bus ride to the other end of the port we boarded our the catamaran, got acquainted with the crew and set off for the turtles.

sail.jpg.0b1df9b9148c0f27bebd67ed0da38001.jpg

We sailed perhaps for 45 minutes then pulled close to shore in a non-descript area.

907820779_turtlesite.jpg.661777d04ecce006c84a1e41426db6a5.jpg

I was a bit skeptical that we would find turtles here, but I was later proven wrong. The majority of the passengers geared up and hopped in the water.

1077590264_turtlecrowd.jpg.65c862571512589c2e48e40738a6a397.jpg

A couple crew members were in the water with us when we hopped in and after peering in the water I saw nothing. The crew assured us that the turtles were coming. After what seemed like an eternity, although it was probably only 5-10 minutes, a lone turtle came our way.

1669764220_turtle1.jpg.ef8d09818d76a1bccadadf5899eb948e.jpg

Shortly thereafter 5-7 turtles were swimming in close proximity to us. As the guide threw flying fish in the water for the turtles they began swimming to get the food, not afraid to swim through anyone’s legs to get it.

914617090_turtle2.jpg.c4d05c7ac8ca82a4883339339eda992e.jpg

The turtles varied in size from a bay that was probably 1.5 feet in diameter to large turtles that were probably 4 feet in diameter. In addition to seeing turtles we saw a couple stingrays swim under us at deeper depths. After 45 minutes in the water with the turtles everyone re-boarded the catamaran and we set sail for our beach stop which was only 5-10 minutes away. At this time the bar opened up and people began to “loosen” up. Our beach stop was a pretty non-descript patch of sand located next to the hotel where Tiger Woods reportedly got married. The crew member noted the suite Tiger stayed in cost $27,000 per night, although it might have been a tall tail. Regardless it looked like a nice facility.

The beach we were brought to, right next to this resort/hotel , appeared to be nothing special so I opted to stay on the boat with a friend to enjoy the sun, music and rum punch. Those who did get off the boat were back within 20 minutes so I’m glad I stayed on. After about 50 minutes at the beach we began our sail home. Given the seas were calm we opted to sit at the front of the boat for the ride home and our group met a large extended family from Massachusetts. We had a couple cocktails and got to know the group for the 45 minute sail home. As we got closer to the pier I noticed that it was raining not too far out and the captain turned the boat around for 10-15 minutes so we could avoid the brief shower.

We got back to the pier around 12:30pm and had intentions of grabbing lunch on the ship and then checking out town. Instead we stopped at “Coconuts” bar, situated outside the pier shops, with our MA friends and had another beer or two. Another rain shower approached and forced us (wink wink) so stay under the bars shelter. In the end we didn’t have time to explore the downtown area, but we had a great time nonetheless.

We returned to the ship and had a long awaited lunch in the Windjammer around 4pm, then the group disbanded and we did not regroup until dinner. This nigh was formal night, which meant they were serving lobster. The nights favorite menu items were the shrimp cocktail, lobster bisque and of course lobster tail. I’m not usually a big lobster fan, but decided to order it along with the prime rib. Based on the appearances of the entrees alone I was excited for the lobster, but the prime rib did not look so good. In the end though I enjoyed both entrees quite a bit, although the lobster edged out the prime rib. We followed the meal with dessert and coffee for most and then proceeded to the piano bar around 10:30pm.

As always it was pretty somber when we got to the Schooner Bar. We took our post up front and conversed a bit with the Steve Walters the piano player.

1235298576_pianobar.jpg.5d1c4e733366566f887f6f3121299ce6.jpg

At this point in the cruise we knew many of the piano bar regulars by name and if we didn’t know them by name we definitely recognized them. Shortly after our arrival the mood picked up as people began to sing, dance and request their favorite songs. Like most nights prior, we closed down the piano bar around 1am, ½ hour later than typically scheduled. The group just couldn’t get enough of Steve’s tunes and tipped him accordingly so that we would continue playing. Worn out from singing and dancing we decided to go to bed just after 1am so we would have energy for our last full day on the ship.

Day 7: At Sea

While the end of the cruise was in sight we still had a full day at sea and late night ahead before we had to jump ship. It was our mission to get the most out of our last day. In an effort to offset multiple entrees, desserts and all the other tasty food offerings, I agreed to go work out with a buddy. We headed to deck 12 around 9am and decided to give the outdoor running track a try. On the Serenade it takes 6 laps to run a mile and we planned on running at least 2 miles. For whatever reason I have an easier time running on treadmills and after 1.5 miles I was struggling. I toughed it out though and managed to get 2 miles in before switching to a fast walk. I think my lack of motivation can be attributed to seeing everyone else relaxing on their pool chairs. After a few more laps of walking I went down to the room to get in my pool gear and returned topside around 10pm. As always chairs were at a premium but we did manage to get 4 chairs at the edge of the stage. While we were a group of 6 we weren’t too worried, since it always seems that a couple people are in the pool, at the bar or somewhere else on the pool deck.

pool.jpg.f4a729d1e92e4f82322b32f951a8493b.jpg

After a couple hours enjoying the beautiful weather on the pool deck we all decided it was time to have lunch. I was a little burned out on the Windjammer so three of us opted for the Seaview Café, while the remaining three went to the WJ. This was our first visit to the Seaview Café and I’m glad we had a chance to eat there. Amongst the three of us we ordered two reubens, a Cuban sandwich, two orders of onion rings, cole slaw, german potato salad and brownies. We managed to eat everything and probably suffered from protruding belly’s at the pool. Upon our return to the pool the belly flop competition was in full swing. We had missed the first few belly flops and fortunately each flopper was given 3-4 attempts. In the end we got to show our Minnesota pride as 1st and 2nd place were awarded to passengers from MN.

Once the competition ended we returned to lounge mode and ordered a round or two of cocktails. I feel obligated to order a frozen fruity drink when I’m sitting at the pool on sea days. After about 45 minutes the passenger/crew volleyball tournament commenced and lasted for 4 rounds if I remember correctly. In the end the passengers came out on top.

cards.jpg.621314c32a964387ffb006cdd9185f9d.jpg

2078962403_breakingrules.jpg.3e358ea4528d5259b3ec8189fdeb1578.jpg

The remainder of the afternoon was spent in the pool area relaxing, sunning, playing some cards poolside and enjoying a beverage or two. We were in good spirits when we left the pool deck as the sun set. At this point it was back to the room to get things packed up and get ready for dinner. This is the part of the trip that I always dread, knowing that the end is really coming. Fortunately, I had Italian night to look forward to in the dining room. I was excited for this as, Edwin, our waiter, talked up the caprese salad, shrimp scampi and tiramisu the previous night at dinner.

We came to dinner with appetites and dining room staff delivered. At one point we had 11 different entrees for 6 people.

905911050_11entrees.jpg.8cc072d06bbad4dcbc8a2e8ddd201bd8.jpg

Despite the abundance of food we managed to eat nearly all of it. We capped off dinner with dessert and coffee and then made our routine trip to the Schooner Bar to see Steve and our piano bar friends. As expected our night in the piano bar did not disappoint and Steve played until a few minutes past 1am. After talking a bit with him in between songs and at the end of the night he noted that the piano bar has never been this lively. Naturally, liveliness is good for Steve, as it translates into more tips. Since we’ve returned from the trip we’ve stayed in contact with Steve and he noted that the current batch of piano bar patrons is too sedate and we should come back soon to liven things up a bit.

schooner.jpg.080a0f68d1314fb19817c890e43b794c.jpg

1338796024_canadianfriends.jpg.c530b5bf1ea6aec878217ac3c3d05840.jpg

Given we had energy to burn, and the Schooner Bar was closing, we headed up to the vortex for a little more dancing. As usual it wasn’t too crowded, with perhaps 25 or so patrons, and we nearly had the run of the dance floor.

vortex.jpg.8c70406cb9d42486166e36407d7687a7.jpg

On past cruises traveling with this group we’ve always heard a new song that becomes our cruise anthem. This was also the case with this cruise, so as usually we requested the song, “We no speak Americano,” as well as other favorites and enjoyed ourselves into the vortex closed around 3am. After a quick stop at the Solarium café for a slice of pizza we retreated home and called it a night. All in all we achieved our goal of maximizing our enjoyment the last day of our cruise.

Up next: Disembarkation and wandering around Old San Juan

Titou Gorge didn’t look like much from the road, but upon getting closer we knew we were in for something unique, particularly when we were given flotation belts for the trip. Leading up to the gorge is a moderate sized pool of water that is about 3 feet deep.

[ATTACH]182048[/ATTACH]

The edge of the pool is adjacent to a 60 foot cliff formed from volcano ash that has a gorge right in the middle approximately 10 feet wide.

[ATTACH]182049[/ATTACH]

As one swims into the gorge the water gets deeper, the current picks up and the sound of rushing water gets louder. A waterfall is located at the back of the gorge and in order to make the last third of the swim Donaldson assisted us using a life ring that he pulled using a rope to help offset the current. Once we reached the end, we had the option to climb up into the waterfall and jump back into the pool. I opted out of this option, given the strong current, but those who did said it was worth it. We later learned that scenes from Pirates of the Caribbean, Deadman’s Chest were filmed here. I’m not familiar enough with the movie to know which part.

Really enjoying your review and looking forward to my own version in just a few more weeks, but I gotta say I am claustrophobic and this Titou Gorge photo has me shakin' in my shoes. Not that I am willing to skip it but how far is it through to the to the other end and more importantly how "closed in" does it feel once you are in there?:eek:

Really enjoying your review and looking forward to my own version in just a few more weeks, but I gotta say I am claustrophobic and this Titou Gorge photo has me shakin' in my shoes. Not that I am willing to skip it but how far is it through to the to the other end and more importantly how "closed in" does it feel once you are in there?:eek:

Hi Jane....long time no contact?? I see you are taking the Serenade the end of February? We almost were traveling together again. We go March 12. Have a great time!!

Not the OP, but we did the exact same tour last month with Donaldson. I am not at all claustrophobic, but I really don't think it will be a problem for you. Although the walls are not far apart, you can always see at least a bit of sky above or to the side. It's an amazing experience, not to be missed!

To the OP, thanks for your review - we went to a few different ports, but your review allowed me to relive our Serenade cruise from a month before!

Sue

Day 5: St. Kitts

Many years ago I went on a Catamaran tour in St. Kitts and it was probably the best ship sponsored excursion I ever went on. After browsing the excursion for this trip and doing some research online I determined that the “Catamaran Fan-Ta-Sea” excursion that Royal Caribbean offers was indeed the tour I went on years prior. Knowing this, I was very excited the morning we arrived in St. Kitts. After grabbing a quick bite to eat in the Windjammer we met on the pier at 8:15 and were soon taken to our Catamaran, “Spirit.”

The catamaran itself was 78 feet long and in very nice condition. There were probably around 45-50 of us on the tour and once we all boarded the crew introduced themselves. The crew included Ricky, Damian, Ivan as well as a couple others whose names escape me. I immediately recognized Ivan, a short guy with a hat filled with dreadlocks. During the last Catamaran tour I recall him walking several Carib beers down to me and a buddy down the beach. The most memorable catamaran crew member from my last visit, Elvis, was nowhere to be seen. On the past trip I remember him being quite a character, dancing with anyone and everyone o n the boat. I figured he was no longer with the company and despite his absence I still knew we would have a great time.

We were given a general overview of the day including what to expect and what to do and what not to do. We then shoved off and began our sail to our snorkel location off of the coast of St. Kitts with some Bob Marley and other reggae bumping in the background.

[ATTACH]182000[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]181997[/ATTACH]

Our group perched right in front of the windows on the bow giving us a nice backrest and ample dry sunshine. Many other people opted to sit on the front netting of the catamaran, but having been on several before I knew that sitting there was a recipe for wetness. Sure enough, shortly into the sail one guy continued to get blasted with water as we bobbed through the waves. It did not take long for him to look like a wet poodle.

Perhaps after 45 minutes to an hour of motor sailing we reached the snorkel spot, where we were given 45 minutes to explore. Having snorkeled on many different islands I was not too excited to go snorkeling here, but I decided to go anyway. Right before I got in the water I saw small fishing boat come up next to us and drop off another crew member, none other than Elvis. Apparently he works on, “Eagle,” the sister boat to the one we were on and his tour was cancelled. For whatever reason he decided to meet up with our boat and at the end of the day we were all glad he did.

The snorkeling really wasn’t that great, but it was nice to dip into water and cool off. Once everyone was back on board the bar opened up and we continued on our Journey to Nevis where we would have a grilled lunch and some beach time. Rum punch and beer began flowing…

After approximately 45 minutes of sailing we arrived at Nevis on an isolated beach not far from the Four Seasons resort. The catamaran pulled up on shore and we all got off to enjoy a delicious grilled lunch including Caribbean spiced chicken, pasta salads, a really good coconut salad, hot dogs and of course rum punch. Some people remained in the lunch area, while others hung out on the beach or in the water. We had around an hour at the beach before we began our hour and a half sail home. This was when things really picked up. Rum punch started flowing even more, they cranked up the Soca music and people began dancing and singing. The back of the boat became a dance floor and many of the crew members lead the passengers in different dances. Some passengers were rowdier than others and all appeared to be having a good time.

[ATTACH]181999[/ATTACH]

The tour provided a good combination of relaxation, sunshine, watersports, more sunshine, rum punch, sunshine, dancing and more. Next time I’m in St. Kitts I will definitely take the tour again for the third time.

[ATTACH]181998[/ATTACH]

Before getting off the Catamaran we took many pictures with the crew then wandered around the port shops.

[ATTACH]181996[/ATTACH]

The ladies got a couple pictures with the baby monkeys and then we reboarded the ship. I went to the room for a quick nap then somehow got the energy to head to the gym to run a few miles. The rocking of the ship has never bothered me, even in rough waters, but I must say it is hard to run on a treadmill in moderate seas. I managed to get two miles in when I surrendered and called it a day in the gym. I wandered down to the room and learned that the guys wanted to grab a drink before dinner so I freshened up quickly and the three of us headed to the Schooner bar. Here we were greeted by our server buddy, Dylan (sp?). Over the previous days we’d gotten to know him well and we always enjoyed seeing him and ordering a drink or two from him.

Dinner came and went and six of us went to the Safari Lounge for “The Quest” at 10:30pm. We showed up a bit early and had a cocktail to “loosen” up for the competition. On our other two cruises as a group we had participated and got second place both times. This time around we had to be on our “A” game. As is typical the tasks started out tame and gradually became more “exotic.” For those who have not attended the Quest I will not give you all the details, but will say that a couple of our male team members had to put themselves in pretty uncomfortable situations. In end we got second place and celebrated in the Schooner bar.

Awesome review. Im in NYC in this crazy snowy weather and so looking fwd to our cruise on RCL in September.

About this excursion, where children on it? Im asking cause ST Kitts is one of our stops and this sounds awesome but want to make sure its ok to bring a little one (2 yr old and my friends 1yr old). Just want to make sure its safe for them.

Glad u had a blast, the pics are GREAT!

Hi Debbie, Great review huh? I knew you were doing this itenerary but somehow I thought you were going before me? Have you decided on excursions yet?

In Dominica we are doing the Middleham Falls, Titou Gorge, Trafalgar Falls and Champagne Reef with Bumpiing Tours. Hoping to go ziplining is St Kitts if it is not booked up when we get on the ship, and doing the turtle snorkel with Silvermoon in Barbados. Probably just beaching it the other days. Trying to make this one a little more laid back than ALaksa. :) How about you?

How has your winter been down there this year? Hopefully better than last year. Take care and enjoy!

Not the OP, but we did the exact same tour last month with Donaldson. I am not at all claustrophobic, but I really don't think it will be a problem for you. Although the walls are not far apart, you can always see at least a bit of sky above or to the side. It's an amazing experience, not to be missed!

To the OP, thanks for your review - we went to a few different ports, but your review allowed me to relive our Serenade cruise from a month before!

Sue

Thanks Sue, I think I will be okay too, I feel more confident now.

In Dominica we are doing the Middleham Falls' date=' Titou Gorge, Trafalgar Falls and Champagne Reef with Bumpiing Tours. Hoping to go ziplining is St Kitts if it is not booked up when we get on the ship, and doing the turtle snorkel with Silvermoon in Barbados. Probably just beaching it the other days. Trying to make this one a little more laid back than ALaksa. :) How about you?

How has your winter been down there this year? Hopefully better than last year. Take care and enjoy![/quote']

Deb, We are going to the Baths in Tortola, have a tour with Thenford Grey in St. Kitts, we too also going with Bumpiing tours in Dominica but we are skipping Middleham. I heard to many people say they ran out of time and did not make it to Champagne, didn't want to risk it. We are hoping to see the turtles in Barbados on our own from Payne Bay. I will let you know how it goes with Bumpiing tours when we get back.

I just don't like winter anywhere but better here than in Michigan =)

Thanks Sue, I think I will be okay too, I feel more confident now.

Deb, We are going to the Baths in Tortola, have a tour with Thenford Grey in St. Kitts, we too also going with Bumpiing tours in Dominica but we are skipping Middleham. I heard to many people say they ran out of time and did not make it to Champagne, didn't want to risk it. We are hoping to see the turtles in Barbados on our own from Payne Bay. I will let you know how it goes with Bumpiing tours when we get back.

I just don't like winter anywhere but better here than in Michigan =)

I really wanted to go to the baths too, but didn't work with our group. I'll be anxious to hear how you liked your tour on St Kitts as well as Dominica. I have debated on what to do on St Kitts if we can't zipline. Well I think I have hijacked this thread enough. Sorry all. Just catching up. Have a great trip and make sure you report back.;)

Awesome review. Im in NYC in this crazy snowy weather and so looking fwd to our cruise on RCL in September.

About this excursion, where children on it? Im asking cause ST Kitts is one of our stops and this sounds awesome but want to make sure its ok to bring a little one (2 yr old and my friends 1yr old). Just want to make sure its safe for them.

Glad u had a blast, the pics are GREAT!

There weren't any kids this time around, but I've been on the st kitts excursion before when kids were on it

Anyone who has been on Serenade recently, which nights are the formal nights? I'm guessing night 2 and night 6 ??

Also has anyone taken Fantasee excursion on St Kitts? If so, how was it?

Formal nights are indeed nights 2&6.

I've been on the catamaran fantasea twice and would highly recommend it

thanks im a bit nervous about having little ones on a catamaran. Thanks again.

I take my own life vest for my daughter (3). It takes up room in the suitcase, but does not weigh much. It is worth it for the peace of mind.

I take my own life vest for my daughter (3). It takes up room in the suitcase, but does not weigh much. It is worth it for the peace of mind.

Thanks, DH and I are a bit nervous still on this but the life vest is a very very good and safe idea. Thanks,

vintage914racer,

Is there any chance you saved the daily cruise compasses and could scan them? We are doing this same itinerary, leaving in 3 wks. on Feb. 26th, and there are several on our roll call that have been waiting and hoping that some kind individual would be able to provide these. I know it is probably alot of work but we would be very appreciative! :) They files would probably need to be e-mailed, so if you do happen to have them, my e-mail address is: dbulman@charter.net. Thanks for considering this!!!

vintage914racer,

Is there any chance you saved the daily cruise compasses and could scan them? We are doing this same itinerary, leaving in 3 wks. on Feb. 26th, and there are several on our roll call that have been waiting and hoping that some kind individual would be able to provide these. I know it is probably alot of work but we would be very appreciative! :) They files would probably need to be e-mailed, so if you do happen to have them, my e-mail address is: dbulman@charter.net. Thanks for considering this!!!

I found these from mid December. They may be helpful to you. THere are also menus from Chops & Portofinos. http://www.scribd.com/full/47048820?access_key=key-6ju0syojf6gosrbshd7 Hope it helps.

Archived