FUMING! Hertz and Miami Marathon

Spoiledliz

So, I made my reservation for my rental on Dec. 14th for pickup at FLL at 8pm with a dropoff at the Hertz Downtown at 10:00am.

I called them because the website says the location is temporarily closed.

I was just told I would have to drop the rental off after 2pm due to the marathon!

Can they do that? I have my reservation that says I am dropping off at 10am! What can I do? Should I switch the drop off to the airport? They offer shuttles to the Miami port correct????

Unfortunately, it is probably out of Hertz's hands. If their location is on the path of the marathon (and it sounds like it is), and the road will be closed to all traffic, then even if they weren't voluntarily "temporarily closed", the police would probably hold you back until the marathon was over, i.e. that 2PM thing, anyway. Drop off at the airport and take the fixed rate taxi from the Airport to Seaport and consider it tuition. Or hunt for another Hertz location nearby, but call and to confirm that they are not in the runners' path, as well.

That's probably the best you can when making plans that fall in the middle of a major event that involves downtown road closures as the Miami Marathon does. I encounter the same problem from time to time with all the bike races, walk-a-thons, and the art show that closes roads. Just gotta be ready for a Plan B. Not being a local, there was probably no way for you to really know this in advance, and if you booked online or through some sort of reservation service with individuals who are not physically at that location, that's what tends to happen when there are unusual circumstances that only apply to one location out of the thousands.

Reminds me of when I used to travel a lot and ran into the problem of having booked a car at an airport for an hour after it closed...there was no warning on that and the reservation system allowed the reservation, even though my pick up time was an hour later than their closing time. Go figure. I finally learned who was open late at that airport and started using them instead. I was typically on the last flight in and the entire airport closed after my plane landed.

Unfortunately, it is probably out of Hertz's hands. If their location is on the path of the marathon (and it sounds like it is), and the road will be closed to all traffic, then even if they weren't voluntarily "temporarily closed", the police would probably hold you back until the marathon was over, i.e. that 2PM thing, anyway. Drop off at the airport and take the fixed rate taxi from the Airport to Seaport and consider it tuition. Or hunt for another Hertz location nearby, but call and to confirm that they are not in the runners' path, as well.

That's probably the best you can when making plans that fall in the middle of a major event that involves downtown road closures as the Miami Marathon does. I encounter the same problem from time to time with all the bike races, walk-a-thons, and the art show that closes roads. Just gotta be ready for a Plan B. Not being a local, there was probably no way for you to really know this in advance, and if you booked online or through some sort of reservation service with individuals who are not physically at that location, that's what tends to happen when there are unusual circumstances that only apply to one location out of the thousands.

Reminds me of when I used to travel a lot and ran into the problem of having booked a car at an airport for an hour after it closed...there was no warning on that and the reservation system allowed the reservation, even though my pick up time was an hour later than their closing time. Go figure. I finally learned who was open late at that airport and started using them instead. I was typically on the last flight in and the entire airport closed after my plane landed.

Thank you for your advice.

I cancelled my Hertz reservation and have booked with Dollar Rental that says they have a shuttle from Miami Airport to the Port of Miami.

Here's to hoping!

Thank you for your advice.

I cancelled my Hertz reservation and have booked with Dollar Rental that says they have a shuttle from Miami Airport to the Port of Miami.

Here's to hoping!

Good thing you were able to rebook.

I usually run the marathon every year and there is no way you would be able to cross the roads. From a runners perspective, it always looks like a mess for drivers.

I heard from a neighbor a little bit ago. He was unaware of the Marathon and went out to run an errand. When he came back, they police would not let him cross the street to get back home. He had to go park elsewhere, as directed by the police, and then walk a mile and a half to get home. Then, he had to pay the parking lot to leave his car there.

Usually, they let people cross the street if you live here so you can get home during all the other events, but not this one.

I bet my neighbor won't forget about this event next year!

Archived