Malaria in Samana: Prevention Meds Needed?

tomsuelaw

Sorry, I know some of you may be sick of this topic but I did a search and could not find any recent discussions on this.

We are in Samana in less then 2 weeks. We sail soon! I just learned today that Samana has a Malaria problem (according to the CDC website). I do not want to take Malaria meds unless it is absolutely needed. However, we are traveling with very young kids and want to be safe. While looking on the CDC page we found the following info to help decrease risk of exposure:

Time of year: winter is dryer and cooler which decreases risk.

Area: windy beach less risk then humid forest area.

Length of stay: no brainer but the shorter the stay shorter the risk.

Time of day: daytime low risk vs evening and night time higher risk.

Activity level: awake less risk, sleeping more risk.

Use of insect repellent: no brainer...significantly reduces risk.

So, I was thinking, since we are only there for a day and the above would significantly reduce risk, are Malaria meds needed? What is your opinion? What are you and your family doing or what have you done? Meds or not?

Oh and please do not respond back with "ask your doctor". I am in the process of trying to do that. Got a call into the office today and won't hold my breath waiting for them to call back. Preventative medicine is a joke here...I have yet to find a MD in my area who takes it seriously. I am looking for lay opinions so any comments appreciated (except for ask your MD) ;)

Thanks everyone!

Hi Susan,

We were in Samana two weeks ago and I had asked my doctor the same question. He said no meds were necessary and we are fine. Have a wonderful trip and don't forget to buy the local jewelry with the blue Dominican Republic native stone. I am really sorry that I did not buy more.

Rebecca

Archived