Hair Salon Prices Carnival

dillonsmimi

Call me cheap but $40 for a simple updo (when I think simple I'm thinking a french twist or a chignon..something along this line) is kind of high. But then again, I'm a liscensed hair stylist so I know you can whip out these in 15 mins or so.

have you thought about watching couple of youtube videos and just doing it yourself and save the $$?? there are some fabulous, very detailed videos out there and if your hair length is long enough it should be very easy for you to do it yourself!

also, if you curl your hair before attempting the updo, it will go a lot easier and also hide a lot of flaws.

Call me cheap but $40 for a simple updo (when I think simple I'm thinking a french twist or a chignon..something along this line) is kind of high. But then again, I'm a liscensed hair stylist so I know you can whip out these in 15 mins or so.

Ha,ha.....that's nothing and I've told this story before.;) My neice had an updo on another line and she was asked if she wanted some rhinestone combs added. She said sure and didn't ask the cost, afterall they couldnb't be that much. How about $80 just for the 2 combs?

Word to the wise. Always ask the cost upfront for the updo AND any extras.

WOW!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

That's kind of shady that the stylist didn't even say how much the price was when asking her if she wanted it done. I feel that the price should ALWAYS be quoted unless it's something you can't predict (like when doing color correction, etc. but at least give an estimate or a RANGE)

I wonder if the combs were swavorski stuff made in France?

When my best friend got married 5 1/2 years ago her stylist put in these cute little hair decorations and I didn't know it at the time but her bill for JUST the decoration part came to around $400. I kid you not. And that's for the bride, maid of honor, mother of the bride and two flower girls so its not like there was a lot of people!!

I think it's worth it if you want to spend your money that way. I happen to think a classic, well done chignon or French twist is beautiful. I also think it's not an easy task and most who do it themselves, well...you can tell they did it themselves.

Years ago we owned a hair salon and $40 was at the low end of updo's for weddings/proms. Longer hair (past the shoulders) the price went up in increments as the work was more time consuming as the length got longer. We didn't offer the hair decorations, they had to bring their own into the salon.

Would I do it? Not likely but not because of the money, I can't stand anything in my hair, not even one bobby pin.

Just a word to the wise (spoken from many experiences in our salon), don't wear a T-shirt when you get an updo. Wear a blouse that has buttons so you don't have to pull anything over your head. You would not believe how many brides would have to cut off their T-shirts once they got to the church. We would advise on appointments, but with the stress and busy-ness of wedding/prom planning they would forget.

Archived