B.O.S.S. underwater adventure, anyone tried it?

adventurous Duo

Yes we did it last year. It was a blast. Time flies though. It was so much fun it felt like 5 mins. lol I would do it again for sure. The crew we had also was just a blast. and when you get there. Say hey to Fluffy for my GF. You will know who im talking about! :D;):D

Hi,

My husband wants to do this but has to wear eye glasses in order to see. Because of this scuba diving is out, but then we saw this BOSS tour. Would he be able to keep his glasses on while underwater wearing this helmet?

Thanks!

Was called BOB years ago when we went.

You do swim to the scooter, then duck under the water into the helmet thing. Glasses would get wet there. Not sure what the glasses are for, but if it is for distance - the glass on the helmet does magnify things a bit. I had no problem seeing without glasses. Again, that would depend on your vision - mine is a problem with seeing distances.

You could try putting the glasses in a ziplock bag while swimming to the scooter, then open the bag inside the helmet. Just be careful to secure the bag so you don't lose it in the water.

There is a website for BOSS for St. Thomas.

(google BOSS St. Thomas to find it).

Here is the answer for the glasses FAQ:

Q: Can I wear glasses or contact lens?

A: Absolutely! You will have to hold your glasses in your hand when you put your head in the bubble but then you can put your hands inside the spacious bubble and put your glasses back on. Contacts are fine as well. Just keep your eyes closed and the diver will guide you into the unit.

Wow, just reading your responses has us sooo excited! We leave tomorrow. Also, regarding the glasses and scuba. I wear glasses and like to snorkel, so I went on line and ordered a mask (snorkel or scuba) with my eyeglass prescription. I feel that it was worth it, because last time we went snorkeling, my husband had to grab my arm and pull me back...I almost swam/snorkeled into a jelly fish and couldn't see it. Plus, it is more enjoyable if I can see the fish. lol

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Is there a tour company that offers this at a less expensive cost

Unfortunately no, there are only five places in the world that you can use the BOSS and there are only around 200 units that were made currently in service. The price is definitely worth it since it is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I would do it again in a heartbeat as it is definitely neat to be underwater scooting along and not having to worry about a mask, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi' date='

My husband wants to do this but has to wear eye glasses in order to see. Because of this scuba diving is out, but then we saw this BOSS tour. Would he be able to keep his glasses on while underwater wearing this helmet?

Thanks![/quote']

Scuba's wife - I've had a significant prescription since I was a kid. Firstly, things are massively magnified when you are down below - so with a distance prescription of -5.75 and -5.25, I didn't really have too much trouble. Secondly, it's soooo easy to get a face mask for scuba with prescription. In fact, many good dive places have rentals with prescription - maybe not an exact match but pretty close.

Don't rule out scuba just because of the prescription glasses...

Now if the eye glasses are for something else that's a different story.

Archived