Molokini Snorkeling on Maui Day 1 (Sunday)

rykaydad

My wife and I would like to do both the Sunrise Bike Tour and Molokini snorkeling. The problem is most of the tour sites recommend doing those activities on Day 2 since the ship doesn't arrive until 8am on Sunday. We've prioritized the Sunrise Bike Tour, but do any of you know if there is a Molokini snorkeling tour that may leave later in the morning? I know that afternoon snorkeling is risky due to the Trade Winds.

I do not know of one leaving later but I did the morning Molikini tour and the Bike Ride...I wasn't a big fan of either. It gets chilly out at Molokini crater and the water was really cold. I wasn't too impressed with the area. I expected the absolutely beautiful area and to see alot of water life. We saw one shark and a bunch of fish. The crater was not nice looking either...it was basically a brown rocky crater with crow like birds all over it. I would reccomend doing snorkling at another place that wouldn't crunch your time..it was a half day adventure because it took an hour to get to from land. I likes the sunrise but not the bike ride. It is absolutely breath taking for the sunrise...you are above the clouds...but it also gets really cold..i think it was in the 40s at the top...for the bikeride you have to ride down on the edge so it is scarey. It you aren't good with heights I would tour and see the sunrise but not the bike ride portion..there are tours without the bikeride portion. But if you are ok with heights then you should be fine.

It was 2007 when I snorkeled at Molokini but we did the morning excursion and had no issues. We got there plenty early enough on day 2. We had a rental car both days and we parked at the sea wall by the pier but lots of cars got trapped when people doubleparked so be sure to park further down where cars can't trap you and you will be fine. I wouldn't recommend the afternoon one. Waters were really rough on the way back so you will have all rough water if you do it in the afternoon. Turtle Bay (?) was better snorkeling and that is where they took us after Molokini. You can get to that by land I believe. I agree that Molokini wasn't really all that great. Maybe my expectations were too high since I had never been snorkeling but we didn't see many fish at all.

Aloha Rykaydad,

Keep in mind the trade winds around the island can make snorkeling dangerous any time of the day. Never turn your back on the ocean.

Anyway, I too was having problems booking different tours because of the arrive time in port. Most of the private tours for water sports have already left before we can disembark.

I did find this web site to be helpful because when you pick a tour...it will tell you if it can be done while on your cruise.

http://adventureinhawaii.com/kauai.htm

I've never used them before, but I found the information helpful.

We decided to do Paragon Sailing because if the water is too rough to snorkel maybe we can sail. They are rated number one for the amount of sailing time on each tour.

http://www.sailmaui.com/molokini.htm

Hope this helps. Have a great cruise.

Archived