Roll Call Celebrity Solstice - 19 June 2011

Doonan

• 1 month later...
Hello,

My partner and I are looking to go on this cruise. We are very close to booking this cruise. We've gone on lots of cruises, but this will be our first on Celebrity. We're excited!

Sergio & Rob

Great ... we are a group of 6 from Australia ... mix of nationalities by partners British/Phillipine. British/Korean. Croatian/Egyptian.

So we have a good start for the FOD.

Can't wait

Neil & Carlos

Awesome. Sounds like we will fit right in with the nationality mix. Lebanese / African American couple here.

I agree. We will have a good foundation!!

BTW, we love Australia. We were contemplating going on this cruise or going back to Australia. Where in Australia are you guys from?

Hi Guys

We live in Sydney which I guess you would have visited when you came to Australia ... glad you like our country.

We get the the US every so often, stay in Los Angeles or the Washington DC area as Carlos has family living in that area. We also seem to get to Ft Lauderdale because we are joining a cruise. We enjoy being in the US.

Greece is like a second home to me so looking forward to this cruiser.

Carlos & Neil

Oh yeah!! We went to Auckland, Sydney and then Melbourne. We ended up extending our stay in Sydney and spent one less night in Melbourne. That was one of our most memorable trips ever.

Funny. Serge is in LA one week every month. His job requires him to travel there. I travel to DC once every 3 months.

Can't wait to meet you guys.

Serge & Rob

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I am happy as of today we are just 30 days to our departure for Barcelona.

I was not sure if they still showed the FOD meetings in the daily program .. I had read something or other so sent an email .. see reply below.

So it seems the meeting will be shown on the board ... we will look and hope to see you all on the ship ... if a meeting is not shown guess we can add it.

See you in June

Carlos & Neil

See Below:

Hi Guys

Just a question ... on Solstice do they still organise and show in the daily paper .. FOD meetings.

I have read something about notice board if they don't ... how does that work.

I have never seen a notice board but then again have never looked .. previous Celebrity ships had FOD in program.

Thanks

Neil

They switched it around a bit last year. They said it was keeping with RCCL policys. Now what they do is have it on board down by guest relations where they publish rest of meetings (business meetings, card groups ,knitters,scrapbookers, gamers etc).

The only one they said they publish in daily bulletin is Friends of Bill. You'll see the board once you get down there, it has 8x10" card with description/location of each meeting

Hi Guys,

Looking forward to meeting you all. Just booked, so haven't had a chance to read the main board for this sailing.

Our ethnic backgrounds are not nearly as exotic as you all ... we're 2 whitebread Americans ... hope you won't hold that against us!

David & Larry

Hello David & Larry

My friends family live in US and we often visit ... great place and great people.

I should also add in the US .. you make the best cocstails.

Look forward to meeting you soon

Carlos & Neil

We'll be in 7247, so if we don't meet you all after the first couple of days, please leave a note in the mail holder near our door to let us know where you are all getting together.

David

Hi there -we just booked the cruise. We're from Victoria Canada. Hope to meet up with you on the ship.

Stephen and Danny

Welcome to the cruise and to CruiseCritic. I noticed this is your first post!

David

Yes it's our first post and our second cruise. The itinerary looks great and we're looking forward to seeing the sights. It's the first time that we've sailed on Celebrity - how is the cruise line?

Hi Guys,

I am David's partner Larry. We look forward to meeting all of you.

To Carlos and Neil: Yes, We Americans do know how "to do" cocktails:), especially our Vodka Martini's! We will be celebrating David's birthday onboard, a BIG one so there will be Martini's involved!

Cheers! See you all soon,

Larry

Welcome David/Larry & Stephen/Danny! This is going to be one awesome gang for the cruise!

Stephen/Danny, we've been to both Victoria multiple times. Isn't Victoria Day soon? We took a ferry to Vancouver one day and it was Victoria Day. We had a really good time!

David/Larry, looks like you guys go on alot of cruises! You're our kinda guys! We love to go on cruises. This will be our first this year and we are both ready to relax!

This will be our first Mediterranean cruise. Have any of you booked excursions? If so, are you doing it through the ship or via a private company? We've been researching various companies at each port and are wanting to book some.

Welcome again!

Rob & Serge!

Yes it's our first post and our second cruise. The itinerary looks great and we're looking forward to seeing the sights. It's the first time that we've sailed on Celebrity - how is the cruise line?

Hi Stephen & Danny,

As you can see from our signature, Celebrity is our favorite cruise line. The Solstice class is wonderful ... the stateroom accomodations, the level of service, the cuisine, the public areas are all top notch. For us, it's hard to choose another line.

We just recently booked this cruise because we were suffering from CWS ... "Celebrity Withdrawal Syndrome". It's a phrase we coined after all of the Celebrity ships left the south Florida ports for the Summer. Living in south Florida affords us the ability to cruise frequently, so we were really disappointed when the Solstice & Eclipse were moved to Europe for the Summer months.

We have been to all of the ports on this itinerary, but it will be great to visit again. We will spend the day in the port city of Civitecchia rather than doing Rome as we have spent extended stays there, but it's a must see if you haven't been before. Mykonos and Santorini are wonderful. There are many possibilities to enjoy a short distance from Naples, so I would suggest skipping Naples proper and get out of town for the day. Do some homework and choose a destination day trip that you find irresistable!

Celebrity generally posts a FOD/LGBT get together time & location on the Community Board, located in the Guest Relations area. It seems that lately they have been scheduled in Michaels Club or the Molecular Bar, but we prefer the Martini Bar ourselves ... it's a great people watching area!

We look forward to meeting you and all the other guys.

David & Larry

Welcome David/Larry & Stephen/Danny! This is going to be one awesome gang for the cruise!

Stephen/Danny, we've been to both Victoria multiple times. Isn't Victoria Day soon? We took a ferry to Vancouver one day and it was Victoria Day. We had a really good time!

David/Larry, looks like you guys go on alot of cruises! You're our kinda guys! We love to go on cruises. This will be our first this year and we are both ready to relax!

This will be our first Mediterranean cruise. Have any of you booked excursions? If so, are you doing it through the ship or via a private company? We've been researching various companies at each port and are wanting to book some.

Welcome again!

Rob & Serge!

Hi Rob & Serge,

Thank you for the warm welcome. We're really looking forward to sailing on the Solstice again. We were onboard for the naming ceremony so she is a special ship to us.

We haven't signed up for any excursions as we've been to the ports before. Many of the port cities are doable on your own ... we enjoy walking around to see the major sights and mingling with the locals.

David (and Larry too)

Welcome again!

Rob & Serge!

Hello Rob & Serge

In the ports we have planned a mix of ships tours and doing things on our own.

Rome - On our own will take the train in to Rome.

If you don't know Rome. I like to Hop On Hop Off Bus in Rome (The Yellow One) .. gets you to all the sights .. with this the ship has a Rome on your own tour to get to and from the city.

Naples - I have never been to Capri so we are goinf to get a ferry from Naples. It takes I understand about an hour. Walk around the town and take tour to the Blue Grotto .. then get back to Naples to walk around for part of the afternoon.

Santorini - This is a great island and has a good bus service. But to see more we have hired a car for the day. This means we can get to both ends of the island and also see the beach areas. Little car only cost us Euro 44 for the day.

Also in Santorini I want to see .. Akrotiri. This is the most important prehistoric settlement found anywhere in the Eastern Mediterranean.

Kusadasi - A must see is Epheses .. not to be missed.

The town itself Kusadasi is a nice little place but not a lot to see.

Myconos - On out own .. I have been here a heap of times great place.

Athens - On our own .. again I have been here many times. Make sure you see the Acropolis, wander Plaka.

Malta .. new to me and as we have little time we have booked the ships Island Panoramic Drive - VT06

This way we get to see three different places and will then have a wander at the end.

I always read up on the things to see/do as I have been involved in travel all my life. One time worked for Olympic Airways .. reason I have been to Greece many times.

Carlos and I are always one of the first off the ship and last on in all the ports.

Hope that helps your planning

Have fun

Carlos & Neil

Hi Guys,

As David mentioned we do not have any tours planned but if it turns out that someone is doing a small private tour in one of the ports maybe we could join you if you need to get a group together.

On many of our trips a bunch of guys get together to do city highlights or walking tours.

Look forward to meeting you all very soon,

Larry ( the bald one!)

Hi Guys,

Has anyone noticed that we will be onboard the Solstice for the Summer Solstice on 6/21? Kinda neat!

David

Say David ... thats interesting .. I had no idea.

In case anyone else is as stupid as me this is the meaning:

Sol + stice derives from a combination of Latin words meaning "sun" + "to stand still." As the days lengthen, the sun rises higher and higher until it seems to stand still in the sky.

As a major celestial event, the Summer Solstice results in the longest day and the shortest night of the year.

We will be in Rome that day ... guess its a good reason for a meet and a 'Solstice Coctail' that evening ... we should make it a date.

Have a good weekend

Carlos & Neil

Hello Rob & Serge

In the ports we have planned a mix of ships tours and doing things on our own.

Rome - On our own will take the train in to Rome.

If you don't know Rome. I like to Hop On Hop Off Bus in Rome (The Yellow One) .. gets you to all the sights .. with this the ship has a Rome on your own tour to get to and from the city.

Naples - I have never been to Capri so we are goinf to get a ferry from Naples. It takes I understand about an hour. Walk around the town and take tour to the Blue Grotto .. then get back to Naples to walk around for part of the afternoon.

Santorini - This is a great island and has a good bus service. But to see more we have hired a car for the day. This means we can get to both ends of the island and also see the beach areas. Little car only cost us Euro 44 for the day.

Also in Santorini I want to see .. Akrotiri. This is the most important prehistoric settlement found anywhere in the Eastern Mediterranean.

Kusadasi - A must see is Epheses .. not to be missed.

The town itself Kusadasi is a nice little place but not a lot to see.

Myconos - On out own .. I have been here a heap of times great place.

Athens - On our own .. again I have been here many times. Make sure you see the Acropolis, wander Plaka.

Malta .. new to me and as we have little time we have booked the ships Island Panoramic Drive - VT06

This way we get to see three different places and will then have a wander at the end.

I always read up on the things to see/do as I have been involved in travel all my life. One time worked for Olympic Airways .. reason I have been to Greece many times.

Carlos and I are always one of the first off the ship and last on in all the ports.

Hope that helps your planning

Have fun

Carlos & Neil

Carlos & Neil, thank you guys for all of this valuable information!! :-) We are going to spend today using it to do some planning for the ports. Thanks again!

One final question open to everyone. In Barcelona, where do you recommend to stay in a hotel? We're looking for a place that has good nightlife within walking distance. We're thinking Las Ramblas, but just wanted to do a check.

Thanks,

Serge & Rob

Carlos & Neil, thank you guys for all of this valuable information!! :-) We are going to spend today using it to do some planning for the ports. Thanks again!

One final question open to everyone. In Barcelona, where do you recommend to stay in a hotel? We're looking for a place that has good nightlife within walking distance. We're thinking Las Ramblas, but just wanted to do a check.

Thanks,

Serge & Rob

Main thing try and be near Las Ramblas as handy for most things.

I have used in the past, a little cheap place that was 'ok' but have changed to Hotel Turin for this trip ... first time this hotel, so no idea if it will be good or bad, but pictures look ok and the price was not crazy.

Just one bit of advise when you go from the hotel to ship get a cab ... it a long walk from pier gates.

Carlos & Neil

Hey guys - this is so valuable to have someone that's been on the ship and to the and 987 Barcelona. They looked goods online. Has anyone stayed there?

Excursions - as it's our first time, we thought we would do the cruise excursions. I have two reasons for this... On our Mexico trip we were dumped in the shopping area of Mazatlan. We were supposed to have ride back to the ship, but got kicked of the bus. RCCL made it all good.. So I'm thinking if something goes wrong we'll be taken car of. Also, we don't know our way around, so we thought the excursion might be best as they have to get you back to the ship on time. After reading your notes, we might rethink that.

So far we've booked Imperial Rome CV02, Capri, Sorrento & Pompeii NP02, Pyrgos Village with Meze & wine So05' Best of Ephesus KD04, Ancient Delos MK01, Athens exclusive tour PR06, and Three Cities & Harbour Cruise VT03.

Any thoughts on those? Are they worth it?

Martinis - Danny is planning on getting FULL VALUE out of his drink package at the martini bar on the Solstice, so that's going to bean interesting time.

We are really looking forward to meeting you all.

Stephen

Archived