Can my 20 year old drink?

Exhaling

We were on a Celebrity Cruise (2009) for my daughter's 21st birthday. At 12:01 am on her birthday she went to the front desk with passport in hand to have her stateroom key/card changed so that she could purchase a birthday drink....they denied her. She was told to come back at 9:00 am when the supervisor came on duty! At 9:00 am the supervisor made the change and she was free to purchase.

Not every cruise lines offer this. Most are quite clear in their alcohol policy that you must be 21 BEFORE the date of departure.

I signed a form not allowing my 18 yr. old to drink while on the ship. He ordered buckets of beers, charged them to my account, also something I signed to disallow, but apparently RCCL doesn't follow through. No help from bursar/concierge desk when I got my end of cruise bill.

HUH???

There is no waiver of any kind concerning drinking on RCI ships. ALL ships departing from the U.S. have the same - 21 to drink..period. There would be no waiver "not to drink"....

And, if your 18 year old bought beer, he was using somebody elses card and nobody was keeping an eye on what he was up to.

His card would not let him buy alcohol.

It was probably not RCI your cousins were on. Carnival is the only major line that has that policy out of North American ports. I researched the alcohol policy last December because I was traveling with 20 year olds. That being said I have found that the alcohol age policy is spottily enoficed on most lines.

Carnival has never had a waiver policy...and the drinking age is 21....and, they police the situation. The sign and sail card used on the ship has the picture and the age of the passenger imbedded on the magnetic strip used at bars and everywhere else. In addition, adults caught giving alcohol to minors, whether it's their own kids or not, are removed from the ship at the next port.

You can always order for her;) Just don't be obvious!

I have seen lots of this.

Especially on Costa and MSC, the European families were all giving their older teens drinks.

Remember, it is only in the US that the '21' thing is such a big deal.

Where I live it is 18, other parts of Canada 19 and most of Europe is 16-18. Australia is 18. Mexico...... I think if you have money and can reach the bar it is fine:rolleyes:.

Of course my 18 year old daughter will have wine with dinner with is. Just a cultural thing:rolleyes:

I have seen lots of this.

Remember, it is only in the US that the '21' thing is such a big deal.

...... I think if you have money and can reach the bar it is fine:rolleyes:.

Well since we are talking about cruises out of the US on ships that have rules forbidding alcohol service to those under 21 ....

Carnival has never had a waiver policy...and the drinking age is 21....and' date=' they police the situation. The sign and sail card used on the ship has the picture and the age of the passenger imbedded on the magnetic strip used at bars and everywhere else. In addition, adults caught giving alcohol to minors, whether it's their own kids or not, are removed from the ship at the next port.[/quote']

Thank you for again pointing our what someone else had already pointed out and I responded to. It was NCL not Carnival, I mixed up my cruises. Perhaps if people read the entire thread before jumping on a post they would know the outcome. It amazes me how many people have given the OP the same information over and over again.

• 4 months later...

Archived