FOS Nursery, totally bummed

Iggipolka

We're sailing on RCI's Freedom of the Seas right after the ships dry dock with our daughter who will be 22 months old. We booked this sailing because the Royal Babies/Royal Tots Nursery will be added during dry dock. We would looking forward to a couple adult-only dinners and maybe even some adult only afternoons. Woo! ;)

I just saw on RCI's website that the Nursery won't be open until the sailing directly after ours!

"Royal Babies and TotsSM Nursery

Parents love our new colorful nursery where our littlest guests can be left in the care of our trained professionals, to enjoy specially-designed programming and playgroups designed by Fisher-Price® and Crayola®.

This feature will be available as of the April 3, 2011, sailing. "

BUMMER!

We are sailing with my brother, my sis-in-law and their 7 & 11 year old daughters, so we'll have some help, but they are on vacation too and we don't want to ask them to entertain our toddler without us being there.

So..no real question or anything, just a vent about being disappointed.

That's too bad, but do take up the offers from the older kids (if THEY make the offer)....they can handle a toddler for a short time, if need be! They may want a bit of spending money (babysitting can be profitable!)! And, there's still the in-cabin babysitting available...check on that as soon as you board! Almost 2 years old is a great age!

Ya, I'm just not so sure about having a total stranger (I think they actually require two people), being in our cabin. It just seems uncomfortable to me. Plus, at $12 an hour, it's considerably more expensive than the $6 an hour I was planning for the nursery.

Ahh well, maybe I'll try the in-cabin sitting once and see how it goes. Anyone have good or bad experiences to share about it?

we used in cabin sitting on Freedom last two times we cruised. Loved it!! Both times the ladies watching are son were awesome. They usually have children of their own and are away from them so they were so excited to be with our son. I actually requested the same lady on the second Freedom cruise but she was on her break. Lady we got was just as awesome. Sailing again on Freedom in June. 7 month old will use nursery and 4 year old adventure ocean. Kids must be one for in cabin sitting si not an option this time.

Thanks for the info on the in cabin sitting. We're traveling with family, so switching dates isn't an option.

Question on the in cabin sitting, do you pay and tip the sitters directly? I'll have to bring more cash than I thought I'd be bringing if that's the case.

Thanks for the info on the in cabin sitting. We're traveling with family, so switching dates isn't an option.

Question on the in cabin sitting, do you pay and tip the sitters directly? I'll have to bring more cash than I thought I'd be bringing if that's the case.

Yes, you pay and tip them directly. I usually left a $2 in change out in case they wanted to order room service to use for tip money (but they never used it). For us it was $12 for two children, I didn't know if it would be less for one child.

The ladies who came to watch our kids on a recent RCI Explorer cruise were fine, but in hindsight I definately prefer the option of non-cabin child care. I always felt some pressure to really tidy up before they came, and I was in a rush all the time.

*** IMPORTANT *** Go to the Guest Services desk as soon as you get on board and reserve a couple of dates, as it's a limited service and you don't want to be left with nothing. It's a pain to have to stand there, but it will be worth it.

Archived