Honeymoon

luxurygirl

Hi! My fiance and I are taking the qm2's July 5th crossing. We are in P class. How is it? Also, we are trying to figure out what we should do when we get to Southampton. Would it be a real hassle to get to an airport to go somewhere in Europe like Nice. We only have 3 or 4 nights to spend before we have to fly back to NY. Any suggestions?

Luxurygirl,

First - Congratulations! Second, there are plenty of destinations served directly from Southampton Airport - you can see them here:

http://www.baa.com/main/airports/FlightInfoSearch.html?Airport=SOU&SearchType=arrivals&FlightNum=&Origin=&Terminal=&x=41&y=4

The leading lowfare airline at Southampton is www.flybe.com but no one has direct flights to Nice (which will be crowded in the Summer anyway)

Peter

Hey Peter,

Thanks so much! I was checking out a few of the flights and it seems alot of them leave early in the morning, unfortunately. I don't know if we'd be able to make them. Are the Cunard trips a rip off? They don't give much info. as to what happens when we get off the ship and how we might get to London (if that is where we choose to go).

Hi Luxury girl,

Congratulations on your marriage. You can get taxis from the berth in Southampton. You could go to Southampton Airport which is about 7 miles away or you could catch a train to Gatwick Airport. Choose the right train and you will get there in about 2 hours without having to change trains. Gatwick is a hub for many european destinations including Nice. You could also try Bournemouth Airport and travel there by taxi or train/taxi.

You could also go by train to London or prebook a car to take you there.

Hey Peter,

Are the Cunard trips a rip off?

Hi Luxurygirl,

I would hesitate to call Cunard trips a 'rip off' - but they can be expensive, and if you don't mind losing the security blanket of someone else doing the organisation, then its perfectly possible to get to London easily by train by yourself. The train from Southampton to London arrives in Waterloo - which is where the Eurostar http://www.eurostar.com/ leaves from - Paris in under 3 hrs, Nice in about 9.....

IF it is running, one outrageously decadent way into London is on the Orient Express....a tour, followed by a meal on the train before arriving in London...

Peter

Pray for an upgrade to the Q catagory. It happend to us to celebrate our 50th Wedding Anniversary and my wife's 70th Birthday. The QM2 is a fantastic ship. You can the entire trip just investigating the ship and its wonders.

The Princess Grill enjoys the same kitchen as the Queen's Grill. The food is fantastic. The service is outstanding.

Enjoy.

Jerry

I thought that the hotel packages offered my Cunard were expensive. You will do better booking that part of your Honeymoon yourself. I was on the Tandem Crossing last April and I went to Paris after the ship docked in Southampton. This is how I did it. I took the QM2 alone. I took the Cunard transfers to the Airport(you can take one directly to Waterloo station) to meet my sister, who flew in that day. We had booked the Eurostar for a 4pm departure. Which worked out, because my sister's flight was very late getting in. We took the underground to the station with a half hour to spare. Spent 4 nights in Paris, then took the Eurostar back to London for our flight home. Cunard used Virgin and my sister has a friend who works for them and got her a discount on the same flight. It all worked out well. One thing I wish I did differently in Paris was to book a better hotel. But I was watching my pennies because the crossing was a little pricy. I stayed in a very old and basic hotel on the Left Bank. I think if we stayed in a much nicer hotel the experience in Paris would of been different. I kinda felt like a poor tourist staying there and roughing it in Paris. Not that I had a bad time, just not what I expected. You could stay in London. I've been to London several times and besides New York it's my favorite city. Only downside is the exchange rate. Hope you have a great Honeymoon.

Thanks J.P., We actually were toying w/ the idea of going to Paris. That's great that all of your transfers, etc. worked out ...that's what I've been worrying about (making flights, trains, etc). Now we are talking about maybe just staying one night in London and just flying back. See, our wedding is in NYC but we live in Kentucky...so by the time the cruise is over we'll have been away from home for about two weeks (about 3 days before and after the wedding in NYC and then 7 for the cruise). I think by then we'll be flat out done. I thought with the dollar so awful in Europe, why not plan 5 days in Mexico in September and live like kings! We were just in Ireland in December and that dollar does not get you very far! A martini at the 4 Seasons there was like 20 American dollars...yikes!

Yes, it would be great to get upgraded to Q grill, but I am sure Princess will be wonderful...as I have read on this website.

Anything you would suggest as a "can't miss" on the ship?

Things not to miss? Let me see. Make sure you bring your formal wear. QM2 is a very fancy ship. Just being aboard makes you want to dress to the nines. Also tea in the Queens Room is a delight. On my sailing they also had it in the Winter Garden, but I've heard rumors that they just have it in the Queen Room now. My favorite lounge is the Commodore Club on deck 9. I sat there for hours just watching the sea. Also on the last night I went up there for a last night cap. It was very foggy that night. Every couple minutes the fog horn (from the original Queen Mary) would sound. I've never had that experience on a cruise ship. The daytime Oxford lectures were fascinating. One thing I would like to say about the Queens Grill vs. Princess Grill. I dined in Britannia(steerage has come along way since the Titanic) I couldn't imagine a more grander room to dine in. The menus of all the dining rooms seemed basiclly the same with a few extra items for the grill rooms. To me the Princess Grill was more regal than the Queens Grill even though both rooms were exactly the same except the colors of the chairs. The Princess was in royal blue and Queens in dark red. If you don't get upgraded I think Princess Grill will be just fine. Also I get to see if there's a difference between a crossing and a cruise in a couple days. I'm sailing the QM2 for the second time. Can't wait!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

If you have the time, take the Orient Express to London. Cunard offers this package. You'll have a lovely luncheon with champagne and wine as you gaze out the window at the countryside. It's so romantic! Each car has it's own history. You'll also tour an estate (we took it to Southampton without the tour). It would be easy for you to arrive at Victoria Station and transfer to take the fast train to Paris. There isn't a better finish to a honeymoon in Europe than Paris!

Hi! My fiance and I are taking the qm2's July 5th crossing. We are in P class. How is it? Also, we are trying to figure out what we should do when we get to Southampton. Would it be a real hassle to get to an airport to go somewhere in Europe like Nice. We only have 3 or 4 nights to spend before we have to fly back to NY. Any suggestions?

AS TO THE P-CAT. YOU ARE IN FOR A TREAT. WE RECENTLY RETURNED FROM 8 DAYS ON THE QM2 IN P-1 CAT. OUR 3RD TRIP IN P CAT WITH CUNARD. 2 ON THEQE2. !!! EVERY TRIP GETS BETTER AND BETTER,. THE QM2-P CAT WAS MAGNIFICENT!!!! AS AN EXPERIENCED CRUISER AND EXPERIENCED COMPLAINER EVEN I COULD'NT FIND ANYTHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT. IF OSMAN IS STILL THE MAITRE'D IN THE P-GRILL GIVE MY BEST REGARDS. HE IS A TRUE PROFESSIONAL AND A FINE GENTLEMAN. ENJOY JIM FORD

Archived