Anyone done this tour-Mendenhall Glacier & Wildlife Quest

stevenikkij

We really want to see whales, we have an 8 year old that loves animals.

*Experience Alaska’s premier attractions, glaciers and wildlife - by land and by sea. A narrated motorcoach ride takes you to the Mendenhall Glacier. At Auke Bay, you’ll board a water jet-powered catamaran specially designed for wildlife viewing. Relax in the warm and spacious main cabin with large windows, as your experienced Captain guides you through the waters of Stephen's Passage. This area is a favorite summer feeding ground for humpback whales. Once the whales have been sighted, your Captain will gently maneuver the vessel to allow exceptional viewing and photographic opportunities. Against a backdrop of snowcapped peaks, the onboard naturalist will explain the behavior and habitat of wildlife you may encounter, including sea lions, porpoises, harbor seals, bald eagles and black-tailed deer. Note: Snacks and beverages are provided. For more details about these tours please visit: http://www.nclwildlifetours.com In order to fully enjoy a close encounter with wildlife, we recommend you bring a warm, rainproof jacket for viewing from the observation deck. Whale sightings are guaranteed, or you’ll receive $100 cash back ($50 for children) as you disembark the whale watching vessel. This tour is suitable for all ages.

Not specifically this tour but I did look at it when we did the Pearl. Instead we did a private tour with Captain Larry on Orca Enterprises but the area is similar.

This area does have a variety of wildlife. As indicated, you will see a whale although typically at a distance. There are also quite a few bald eagles in the area. Sea lions is also common.

Some examples from our tour here.

Not specifically this tour but I did look at it when we did the Pearl. Instead we did a private tour with Captain Larry on Orca Enterprises but the area is similar.

This area does have a variety of wildlife. As indicated, you will see a whale although typically at a distance. There are also quite a few bald eagles in the area. Sea lions is also common.

Some examples from our tour here.

Wow- awesome pics!! Now I really can't wait. The reviews were good on the NCL website- but wanted some from the experts here on cruise critic. Thanks alot!!

Your listed tour is with Allen Marine, which runs nice boats that do hold a large number of people. They are a long time Alaska vendor.

A factor you may not realize is the time for the Mendenhall segment is limited. Usually only 30-45 minutes.

An alternative consideration is booking with an independent and just getting a pick up/drop off at Mendenhall. You would take the dock shuttle bus in the other direction. This is superior for allowing more time, if of interest. A very popular activity is to use the Nugget Falls Trail, which takes an hour- not doable with most tour combos.

The "guarantee" is worthless. Humpbacks are seen on 100% of the Juneau whale watches, over many YEARS.

IF you have not whale watched before, you need to be REALISTIC about sightings. It takes many repeative trips to see behaviors. I have been on over 200 whale watches, and most don't offer viewing of the stuff of the cruise brochures. :) This past summer, I went out on 8 in my 6 days in Ma (most of my tours have been from here). Every trip was different and I never tire of the "same" stuff. I also stayed out through 3 whale watches during my Juneau port day. Superb day for me. :)

Expect nothing more, than blows, backs and tails. Anything else is a gift. :)

Archived