NOLA tour ?s for vriecke or other locals

alwalaska

Hi all! We are staying 2 nights in NOLA. The first will be at the Town Place Suites in the Metairie area (arriving in the evening). The second night will be at the Drury. If we drive through the Garden District on our way between the 2 hotels, will that be good enough, or should we take the street car to the garden district from the Drury and then walk around.

We only have the 1 full day (we board our cruise that last morning) and I want to be sure we have enough time for the French Quarter.

So far, our plans include the Honey Island Swamp tour on the first afternoon, then crossing Lake Pontchartrain, driving through the Lake View area, and dinner at Copelands. On Saturday, waking up and driving to the Drury. Even though we can't check in, they said we could leave our car there and put our luggage at the front desk. Head down to Riverwalk, grab some beignets, and then start our French Quarter Walking Tour (my own custom tour based on several books and many CC friend's suggestions). There is a St Joseph's parade at 6pm that we want to try and catch.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. I'm going to need to first sea day to relax my feet. :D

Ann,

Driving down St. Charles Ave. would be the best (and quickest) way to see the Garden District. It is spread out along all of St. Charles, and there is really no reason to get out and walk. There is some great boutique shopping along Magazine St., which runs parallel to St. Charles, but if you only have one day, save it for the Quarter!

Although I have never been on one, I've heard lots of good things (from locals who have been on them) about the horse and carriage tours that are in front of Jackson Square. That would be a quick way to see everything, then decide on what you want to revisit.

About the Honey Island Swamp Tour, it will take you about 45 - 60 minutes to get there from Harahan, depending on traffic, so plan accordingly.

Ann,

Driving down St. Charles Ave. would be the best (and quickest) way to see the Garden District. It is spread out along all of St. Charles, and there is really no reason to get out and walk. There is some great boutique shopping along Magazine St., which runs parallel to St. Charles, but if you only have one day, save it for the Quarter!

Although I have never been on one, I've heard lots of good things (from locals who have been on them) about the horse and carriage tours that are in front of Jackson Square. That would be a quick way to see everything, then decide on what you want to revisit.

About the Honey Island Swamp Tour, it will take you about 45 - 60 minutes to get there from Harahan, depending on traffic, so plan accordingly.

Thanks. We will actually be in Tuscaloosa, AL the night before the swamp tour, so it will be a 4 hour drive for us.

I will have to look into the carriage tour. That sounds fun. We'll probably use the Street car around the French Quarter when we need a break from walking. Is there a particular street car that shouldn't be missed?

The street cars don't run through the Quarter, only on St. Charles Ave., along the Riverfront, and along Canal St. There is no public transportation that runs in the French Quarter, and you wouldn't want to take anything other than a streetcar or taxi. Here's a link to the routes:

http://www.neworleansonline.com/tools/transportation/gettingaround/streetcars.html

The tourist part of the Quarter isn't really that big to see on foot, and, if you need a rest, there are lots of places to sit, eat, drink, and listen to music. There is literally music playing all the time on the streets.

The street cars don't run through the Quarter, only on St. Charles Ave., along the Riverfront, and along Canal St. There is no public transportation that runs in the French Quarter, and you wouldn't want to take anything other than a streetcar or taxi. Here's a link to the routes:

http://www.neworleansonline.com/tools/transportation/gettingaround/streetcars.html

The tourist part of the Quarter isn't really that big to see on foot, and, if you need a rest, there are lots of places to sit, eat, drink, and listen to music. There is literally music playing all the time on the streets.

The tour book I had still had the Vieux Carre Loop route still on it. If we are tired at the end of the day, would it be worthwhile to hop on the Riverfront car and then up Canal to get closer to our hotel on Poydras? Would this work, or is it just easier to walk?

Also, we don't drink and we will have my 17 year old son with us. Is it worth going to Pat OBrien's to see the fire fountain? Would they let me son in during the day?

Thanks again.

The tour book I had still had the Vieux Carre Loop route still on it. If we are tired at the end of the day, would it be worthwhile to hop on the Riverfront car and then up Canal to get closer to our hotel on Poydras? Would this work, or is it just easier to walk?

Also, we don't drink and we will have my 17 year old son with us. Is it worth going to Pat OBrien's to see the fire fountain? Would they let me son in during the day?

Thanks again.

It's a long walk from the Quarter to Poydras. I would take the Riverfront streetcar all the way to Poydras - I believe they go that far. Not sure if you son could get in Pat O'Briens. The fire fountain is nice at night, but not that impressive during the day. Pat O'Briens is okay for Hurricanes and other drinks, but not much else. You can just walk in and look at the fountain and courtyard if you'd like.

Just wanted to warn everyone that the St. Charles Streetcar line will be closing for repairs, beginning in April. The route from Carrollton to Napoleon will close first, followed by the Napoleon to Canal St. route.

Ann, you should be okay when you come in 2 weeks!

Here is the link for more info:

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2011/03/st_charles_streetcar_route_wil.html

Thanks again.

Hi Ann,

You must be 21 to get in to Pat O's. Also, if you're staying at the Drury and you get tired from walking around the French Quarter take a cab. The Riverfront Streetcar is $1.25 pp one way and if you get off on Poydras you'll still do some walking (a bit over a half a mile). So for a couple of bucks more you'll save the walk to the Drury.

Hope this helps,

Jorge

Hi Ann,

You must be 21 to get in to Pat O's. Also, if you're staying at the Drury and you get tired from walking around the French Quarter take a cab. The Riverfront Streetcar is $1.25 pp one way and if you get off on Poydras you'll still do some walking (a bit over a half a mile). So for a couple of bucks more you'll save the walk to the Drury.

Hope this helps,

Jorge

Thanks for the info. Don't the cabs charge per person as well? We were thinking about getting the $5 all day passes and then popping on and off in different places. I haven't decided yet if we are going to just do a quick drive through the Garden District, or take the street car there as well.

We will be leaving 2 weeks from tomorrow. I can't wait.

Thanks for the info. Don't the cabs charge per person as well? We were thinking about getting the $5 all day passes and then popping on and off in different places. I haven't decided yet if we are going to just do a quick drive through the Garden District, or take the street car there as well.

We will be leaving 2 weeks from tomorrow. I can't wait.

Ann,

Cabbing is an option if you get tired. From the Poydras stop on the Riverfront street car to the Drury Inn is about 7 or 8 blocks; however, it is certainly doable.

The $5 day pass is a great way to see some truly beautiful parts of our city. If you take the St. Charles Ave. street car I recommend highly that you visit Commander's Palace for lunch. That would be a treat! It is on Washington Ave. and only two blocks from the street car stop. :D

Jorge

Archived