Port of Civ - Rome

Hi: Since this will be our first trip to Europe, we have many questions and hope world travelers can advise.

When we get to the Port of Civit?, be it private or ship's tranfer from the airport, when we get to the Terminal, do we board the ship from there after check in or is there a shuttle bus to the Ship? If so, how far from the ship?

Also, we were thinking of arranging a 4 hour tour w/ a cab (maybe another couple) before going to the ship. We will arrive around 7:45 a.m. Is this a good idea or cutting it too close to sail away?

Any information will be appreciated. We are on the Mariner, Oct. 14, 2011, 12 Night E. Med and are VERY excited!!

Thanks in advance for all your responses, comments and ideas.

Safe sails to all!

You will board at the terminal and they started boarding around noon when we were there a few months ago. You need to allow at least an hour to get there from Rome...depending on traffic. I wouldn't try to do an excursion for many reasons...exhausted from the flight, flight delay etc. We always enjoy boarding early and exploring the ship. Maybe you could switch you flight & fly into Rome a day or 2 in advance of the cruise?

It's a great ship and a great cruise...enjoy!

You will board at the terminal and they started boarding around noon when we were there a few months ago. You need to allow at least an hour to get there from Rome...depending on traffic. I wouldn't try to do an excursion for many reasons...exhausted from the flight, flight delay etc. We always enjoy boarding early and exploring the ship. Maybe you could switch you flight & fly into Rome a day or 2 in advance of the cruise?

It's a great ship and a great cruise...enjoy!

Thank you Azann for your prompt response! DH does not really want to tour before heading to the ship! Yes, I'm sure we will be tired from the flight as we don't sleep on planes (maybe he does a quick nap here and there)! Normally on all our very many Carib. cruises, we like to get to the ship early and board as soon as they let us! Maybe we'll do what we've been doing! Head to the terminal after we land and hang there till we can board. At least we know we are there, not worrying about traffic delays.

OK I've convinced myself with your help;) I don't think we can come in a day or two early at this point, but time will tell. No air booked yet. Looking for a Non-stop from Newark, NJ at least going. Will settle for a one stop (1-2 hour only) on the trip back....Not worrying about getting to a ship on time:).

First time on the Mariner as I mentioned, and we are doing MTD around 7:15 most nights. How do they time the shows with the varied times? (9:00, 9:30, 7:30?) Were the shows goood? Any info regarding dress for the evenings/Formal 2 or 3 formal? Is the food much different than the Caribbean or similar? I did notice the different dining times, which is no problem.

If it isn't too much trouble, I would love to hear all your comments, good, bad or ??

Thank you again soo much!

Safe sails.:D

UANDME4EVER: Have to agree w/ azann, would not think you are going to be in the 'frame of mind' to do a 4 hour tour prior to boarding. ;)

We were there in late Oct '10. Civitavecchia is a highly industrialized port. The "terminal" is actually a semi permanent 'tent' structure. It is also some 2 miles from the "port entrance" to the "terminal". Nothing like you are likely used to experiencing w/ the Caribbean cruises in your past. ;) Also be aware that the airport will be 45 minutes +/- from the port (depending upon traffic, maybe more).

Really recommend spending a few days pre-cruise in Rome if at all possible. It is well worth your time. Don't forget to price your airfare w/ RCI, their new ChoiceAir fares are very competitive. What ever you decide, enjoy your cruise!!!

Bruce

I agree....if you can, show up a few days earlier in Rome. You will not regret it. 4 hours is way too short for even a tour of Rome and will just leave you wanting to see more and wishing you had more time. Rome is about an hour and a half by train from Civ. About the same by car.

Civit is a really industrial port. When we were there, there were buses that brought you from the entrance to the port to the actual ship.

Regarding a tour, that might be tough. Is there an opportunity after the cruise to sneak into Rome. Even if it was whirlwind tour to swing by the Colliseum, spanish steps, Vatican. It would be shame to be so close and not see it.

A sleep tip - I assume you're traveling from the U.S. A trick to getting on European time is to fight the urge to take a nap when you arrive in Europe. Instead make yourself stay up and then go to bed at the hour your normally would, but on European time. For example if you go to bed at 10 pm, stay up till 10 pm European time (or there about) This will cause you to wake up the next day in the morning European time. The first day can be rough, but it might help recalibrate your body. Some people arrive exhausted (which is normal, at 10:00 in the morning from an overnight flight, check into a hotel at noon, take a nap, and don't wake up till 5:00 pm Europe time. Then they end up staying up till some weird time and "rinse and repeat" the weird time schedule by not sleeping at the right time again.

Civit is a really industrial port. When we were there, there were buses that brought you from the entrance to the port to the actual ship.

Regarding a tour, that might be tough. Is there an opportunity after the cruise to sneak into Rome. Even if it was whirlwind tour to swing by the Colliseum, spanish steps, Vatican. It would be shame to be so close and not see it.

A sleep tip - I assume you're traveling from the U.S. A trick to getting on European time is to fight the urge to take a nap when you arrive in Europe. Instead make yourself stay up and then go to bed at the hour your normally would, but on European time. For example if you go to bed at 10 pm, stay up till 10 pm European time (or there about) This will cause you to wake up the next day in the morning European time. The first day can be rough, but it might help recalibrate your body. Some people arrive exhausted (which is normal, at 10:00 in the morning from an overnight flight, check into a hotel at noon, take a nap, and don't wake up till 5:00 pm Europe time. Then they end up staying up till some weird time and "rinse and repeat" the weird time schedule by not sleeping at the right time again.

I'd like to very much thank the posters for their great information as to Port location and short Rome Tours. Maybe we'll re-think and come in the day before..So much to see, so little time. Having a hard time w/ Choice Air getting flights....It tells me no flights for my requests...I'll keep trying.

Again, thank you for your help! Feel free to add more info if you wish about anything regarding our itinerary.

Safe sails always :D

TA with newlifeca, stay up the first day you are there. We had friends that flew in a day earlier that we did and saw just as much of Rome as we did because they slept through it.

I don't know how old you are or what kind of physical shape you are in, but we wanted to do it like Europeans and take the train. Several in our group hired drivers ($2-300 if I remember correctly), we took the Leonardo Express from the airport to Termini (the main terminal in Rome) and then took the express to Civitavecchia. I think it cost us about 1/4 - 1/2 the cost of a private car. There were some steps involved, but we just hoisted the bags and walked up. We are in our late 40's and were proud of the fact that we could still fend for ourselves.

At any rate, enjoy yourselves - I can't wait to go back!

I have to agree with the other posters--you will be exhausted after the flight to do a tour.

Instead of going into Rome early we actually stayed 2 nights at the end of the cruise. It was nice because we were already used to the time difference. There is soo much to see and do. My thought is if I'm already spending the money to fly out, what's an extra 2 nights.

On a side note--I would HIGHLY recommend private transportation to the port! We did the transfers with RCI and it was AWFUL. They were coralling us from area to area. I felt like cattle! There was over 6 tour buses. They had to wait for all of them to be full before leaving. From the time we got our luggage till the time the buses left, was over 2hrs! I think it was $75 for each of us. For about $30 more we could of had a private driver. If you decide to do that, look into Rome in Limo. Not only do they do awesome tours but they also transport to and from the airport.

I have to agree with the other posters--you will be exhausted after the flight to do a tour.

Instead of going into Rome early we actually stayed 2 nights at the end of the cruise. It was nice because we were already used to the time difference. There is soo much to see and do. My thought is if I'm already spending the money to fly out, what's an extra 2 nights.

On a side note--I would HIGHLY recommend private transportation to the port! We did the transfers with RCI and it was AWFUL. They were coralling us from area to area. I felt like cattle! There was over 6 tour buses. They had to wait for all of them to be full before leaving. From the time we got our luggage till the time the buses left, was over 2hrs! I think it was $75 for each of us. For about $30 more we could of had a private driver. If you decide to do that, look into Rome in Limo. Not only do they do awesome tours but they also transport to and from the airport.

Hi and thanks for the last 2 posters! We are planning to do our own ''transfer'' to and from the airport! 2/4 in a cab or van is perfect. Don't want to feel like 'cattle' before we start. Not sure about coming in a day before, we'll see. We won't nap! Our first Port will be Naples so we don't want to sleep through that. Looking to do private excursions 2-8 people each Port. Haven't started checking yet. Will do in May, as we are waiting for reviews for the 4/29 cruisers doing the same itinerary.

Thanks so much.

Safe sails.

We did the Med on Voyager last year and did everything on our own for Rome. We took the train in from Civ. And yes, we ran around like crazy people all day...but we managed to see Palatine Hill, the Colosseum, Roman Forum, Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, and the Sistine Chapel before rushing back to the ship. It's possible...it can just get crazy :)

We did the Med on Voyager last year and did everything on our own for Rome. We took the train in from Civ. And yes, we ran around like crazy people all day...but we managed to see Palatine Hill, the Colosseum, Roman Forum, Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, and the Sistine Chapel before rushing back to the ship. It's possible...it can just get crazy :)

Hi: Not sure we'll have the stamina to do what you did! I know we'll miss much, but we'll see what we can see and do our "older" best.

Thanks for writing.

Know anyone going on the Mariner 10/14 not on the Roll Call? Almost all those on there right now are doing B2B - Transatlantic back to TX..So nice if you can.

Safe sails.:)

Uandme-

Look into Rome in Limo. We used them in Naples, Florence and Rome. They were fantastic!! Also since we used them in multiple ports they gave us a discount. They were very good with communication via email. They really customized everything to our wants, including having reserved tickets for some of the busier museums.

Uandme-

Look into Rome in Limo. We used them in Naples, Florence and Rome. They were fantastic!! Also since we used them in multiple ports they gave us a discount. They were very good with communication via email. They really customized everything to our wants, including having reserved tickets for some of the busier museums.

Thanks, VanessaM ~ I've heard some very good things about them and we are considering them for Naples. Maybe we can get another couple or 2 and get to see some of the Almalfi Coast, Pompeii, Capri..

Thanks for sharing.

Safe sails!:)

Archived