ferry from Cozumel to Playa Del Carmen

chopped

I need some info on the ferry from Cozumel to Playa Del Carmen. How far away is the ferry from where the cruise ships dock/tender, is it a pretty quick ride? Also where does the ferry drop you off at in Playa?

Muchos Gracias!

I need some info on the ferry from Cozumel to Playa Del Carmen. How far away is the ferry from where the cruise ships dock/tender, is it a pretty quick ride? Also where does the ferry drop you off at in Playa?

Muchos Gracias!

On our Carnival Triumph cruise (in 2007), we took the ferry (which was chartered from Carnival) from Cozumel to Playa Del Carmen. The ferry was docked alongside our cruise ship, so we did not have far to go to board it. (I believe we were docked at the Punta Langosta Pier). The length of the ferry ride from Cozumel to Playa Del Carmen can vary depending on the type of ferry you are on as well as on the water and wind conditions. We went down to Playa Del Carmen in a small, open-air ferry. This ride across took approx. 50-55 minutes. We returned in a larger, faster, fancier and air-conditioned ferry (called the UltraMar) and our travel time was cut down to approx. 30 minutes.

In Playa Del Carmen the ferry terminal is located right in the downtown.

Here is a photo of our arrival at the ferry terminal in Playa Del Carmen

IMG_0007.jpg

Returning to the Playa Del Carmen terminal to catch the ferry to Cozumel

IMG_0094-1.jpg

The faster and fancier UltraMar Ferry which brought us back to Cozumel

DCFC0086-1.jpg

I love this message board, thank you for the quick reply! I have tattooed in Tulum, Cancun and Merida and would like to leave my mark on Playa Del Carmen as well. I have a shop that has agreed to host me (the owner and i have worked together before, and she is opening a new shop) and I would love to see if I can knock out a few pieces of art while I'm in town. I have been to that area several times, and I think if I'm only there a day It's best if i 'work' otherwise i might be tempted not to leave! :)

Hi there

We too had Tulum pencilled on our upcoming trip on Epic. Have now changed our mind after the feedback on the crossing (which I'd read was quite bad on quite a few reviews)

Don't mean to put a dampener on your plans but you might just want to have a read at the following thread.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1363066

Hope you don't mind me butting in

My wife and I are used to the rough seas- almost got arrested in Cancun for ignoring the red flags :p We are very much independent travelers- I have a secret for no motion sickness (those wristbands that help morning sickness in woman work wonders on sea sickness too) I appreciate the links and the advice- already lined up my books for the 1st of April in Playa, and I'll be checking out a shop in Roatan, and visiting my friends in the Caymans as well. cannot WAIT!

Oh yeah- Tulum is out of the question unfortunately- won't be any time. for those who are interested in Tulum let me know though- I have some great insight. Skip the bus and rent a car, it's a 30min ride and you'll be in control of your time table. The ruins in Tulum are wonderful, and the beaches are some of the best I've seen (swing by ***** for some AMAZING wood fired pizza and take a short walk down the beach to LaZebra for some authentic Caprihiana's ;)

Oh yeah- Tulum is out of the question unfortunately- won't be any time. for those who are interested in Tulum let me know though- I have some great insight. Skip the bus and rent a car, it's a 30min ride and you'll be in control of your time table. The ruins in Tulum are wonderful, and the beaches are some of the best I've seen (swing by ***** for some AMAZING wood fired pizza and take a short walk down the beach to LaZebra for some authentic Caprihiana's ;)

Hi chopped, my DH, two teen sons and I want to go to Tulum and go snorkeling so were considering booking the celebrity tulum ruins and beach break tour but wondered if booking it privately with a guide online would allow us a more in depth tour and more snorkeling time at beach etc. We would arrive at 11:30am in Cozumel and depart at 8pm. What are your thoughts? Any recommended guides etc??? I see you mention renting a car, that's interesting idea too but not sure about drop off times etc. Online it says it's an hour drive but I guess that must be for bathroom stop etc. Is there good snorkeling at the beach below the Tulum ruins or is it better to do at another location? We already know about the possible rough seas and definitely bringing bonine along, been in rough seas in the canadian maritimes and it worked like a charm so I could enjoy the spectacular scenery on a puffin tour via a small boat in rough seas, it was amazing so I'm confident bonine will work for the ferry back to the boat in cozumel. Anyhow, Any thoughts, suggestions etc appreciated to help us have the best time possible seeing Tulum and going to a beach to snorkel...

Thanks,

K

There is way better snorkling on the beaches of Tulum, the food is better, the people are better- everything is better. The beaches at the ruins are very nice but small and you'll be knee deep in floating tourists from other cruise ships. I can while heartedly recomend renting a car- the ruins of tulum are 30min (approx) from playa, then the actual town of Tulum is 15-20min from the ruins. It's hard to explain, If you google la zeba tulum, or ***** tulum you will see the beaches in talking about (that entire stretch of beach is great for snorkling) if renting a car isn't your thing a taxi is a great way to go as well (stick with the green taxis) Tulum is far less 'touristy' than cancun, Cozumel or Playa del Carmen so the people are very accomodating :)

hope this helps! I'll see if I can dig up a map and post it- directions are VERY easy though. The ruins are clearly marked as an exit. My only word of caution is watch for 'topas' (speed bumps) :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chopped,

I'm researching getting to Tulum from Cozumel, and, as an adventurous traveler that hates crowds and "packaged" experiences, I'm very interested in the car rental option. I'm googling around, but if you had any rental companies to recommend or tips, I'd love to hear them.

Hi Chopped,

I'm researching getting to Tulum from Cozumel, and, as an adventurous traveler that hates crowds and "packaged" experiences, I'm very interested in the car rental option. I'm googling around, but if you had any rental companies to recommend or tips, I'd love to hear them.

I had been looking to do the same but with our port arrival and constraints due to catching the ferry etc I opted to do exursion with our ship. Would much preferred exploring Tulum on our own. That said, make sure you search for rentals using pick up location of Playa del Carmen being Cozumel is an island. All the major rentals are available there, Avis, Budget, Hertz, National, Thrifty etc, here's a link that I found with all companies available in Playa, hope this helps. We will be visiting Tulum in 2 days aboard the Century, if I hear any tips for next time, I'll post for you.

http://locogringo.com/dynamic/services.cfm?start=1&page_no=1&type=Car%20Rental&location=Playa%20del%20Carmen

Archived