The steps at Pile Gate? Pictures?

I have read the Dubrovnik thread completely and searched online on various travel sites. I have seen many gorgeous pictures that people took while walking the wall. I cannot find a picture showing the 65 steps at the pile gate entrance. Am worried about those and would like to see how steep they are. If anyone has such a picture could you please post it or direct me to the website that may have one? Many Thanks

Here is a picture showing some of the steps in Dubrovnik. Not sure if these are by the Pile Gate or not......but this is what they pretty much look like all over the wall. There are steps to get up and then steps every so often......

ps: click on the thumbnail to make larger

1021521253_Europe2216.jpg.2c33a4ba50f4689fb689357f0973fd20.jpg

Here is a picture showing some of the steps in Dubrovnik. Not sure if these are by the Pile Gate or not......but this is what they pretty much look like all over the wall. There are steps to get up and then steps every so often......

ps: click on the thumbnail to make larger

No sorry, those are not the steps at the entrance.

I have read the Dubrovnik thread completely and searched online on various travel sites. I have seen many gorgeous pictures that people took while walking the wall. I cannot find a picture showing the 65 steps at the pile gate entrance. Am worried about those and would like to see how steep they are. If anyone has such a picture could you please post it or direct me to the website that may have one? Many Thanks

I have a photo of those steps, but do not know how to add it to this reply. If I can get up the 65 steps, anyone can do it and I have a bad knee. Yes that is the total at that entrance, I know for a fact since I've counted them many, many times.

If you want to enter the walls at a point with less, then walk to the other entrance which is called Ploce. You do understand there is a grand total of 650, don't you?

I have a photo of those steps, but do not know how to add it to this reply. If I can get up the 65 steps, anyone can do it and I have a bad knee. Yes that is the total at that entrance, I know for a fact since I've counted them many, many times.

If you want to enter the walls at a point with less, then walk to the other entrance which is called Ploce. You do understand there is a grand total of 650, don't you?

Yes, thankyou i am aware of the totalof the 650 steps. I would only walk halfway. It is just the 65 steps in a row that has me worried. If i understand correctly, the rest of the steps come and go but are not all in a row at one time?

From my reading, the Ploce entrance has the least steps but is the hardest part of the walk so thats why i think the Pile gate one might be better if i can manage the 65 steps at one shot. I suffer with hip bursitis and am afraid to push it as i do not want to ruin the rest of my vacation. I do not want to miss this but it is scaring me a bit :(

Yes, thankyou i am aware of the totalof the 650 steps. I would only walk halfway. It is just the 65 steps in a row that has me worried. If i understand correctly, the rest of the steps come and go but are not all in a row at one time?

From my reading, the Ploce entrance has the least steps but is the hardest part of the walk so thats why i think the Pile gate one might be better if i can manage the 65 steps at one shot. I suffer with hip bursitis and am afraid to push it as i do not want to ruin the rest of my vacation. I do not want to miss this but it is scaring me a bit :(

The steps are not difficult, take your time and hold the hand rail. The sea side is the easiest part and it does have some upward parts. There is no rush and if you take time, stop to rest when you need and take photos there should be no problems.

My big question is what time of year are you going to be here?

No sorry, those are not the steps at the entrance.

As posted, I didnt think so either. We went up near the Pile gate (drawbridge entrance). The stairs toward the top there were smaller and steep and the railing a bit shaky...... I went up very slowly :o But once on top, we mostly found the type of stairs in my picture..... just wanted to give the OP an idea.

As posted, I didnt think so either. We went up near the Pile gate (drawbridge entrance). The stairs toward the top there were smaller and steep and the railing a bit shaky...... I went up very slowly :o But once on top, we mostly found the type of stairs in my picture..... just wanted to give the OP an idea.

You went up at the main entrance, it is called "Spas" and not Pile. The Pile gate is the entrance to which one enters the old town and down the steps or ramp and thru the arch. This is the main entrance to the city wall which is named Spas because of the small church adjacent which is Sveti Spas (Saint Savior).

Just an FYI for posters, there is only one city wall. It is 2 kilometers long, but it is only one wall.

texancruzer

The area you have in your photo is the sea side of the wall, which is considered Sveti Marija (Saint Maria) area of town. It's my favorite part of the wall, once you get over that small upgrade. The rest of the wall is easy from that point, not many steps and they go both up and down.

Haven't been up yet this year, our weather has been too wet and windy. Once the sun is out I will be up there again even with my bad knee. The views are too fantastic not to go up and enjoy the spring weather and sunshine.

Hmmm guess I was totally confused. The ship shuttle let us off near the drawbridge entrance and I remember when you walked in there was the large round fountain...... very cool. We went up the steps just to the left/behind.

I agree about the views from the wall....... spectacular. We only walked halfway around as we were there the very end of November and it was a bit soggy that day. Some sun,but in and out. Fog early in the morning too. We came down the steps right past the restroom/snack bar near the museum...... then wandered the small back streets.

I took these photos of the steps leading to the city wall entrance near the Pile Gate (in 2003 and 2006). The small room under the canopy was the ticket office. Hope these helps. Steve.

That is where we went up...... so I guess we did enter thru the Pile gate.

Was there a big round cistern looking fountain nearby ? I will try to post a picture....

447557840_Europe-Naples-Pompii256.jpg.2fd250701e10d1391f26c582728dfbbd.jpg

That is where we went up...... so I guess we did enter thru the Pile gate.

Was there a big round cistern looking fountain nearby ? I will try to post a picture....

Yes you entered the old town by the Pile gate entrance. You went up on the city wall at the Spas entrance, so named for the small church next to the steps. The large Onfrio fountain is also located just opposite the entrance to Sveti Spas Church.

I took these photos of the steps leading to the city wall entrance near the Pile Gate (in 2003 and 2006). The small room under the canopy was the ticket office. Hope these helps. Steve.

Those are indeed the steps to the top of the wall. However the ticket office is no longer at that point, it is now a one of the several ticket controls. The new ticket office is located just opposite the large Onfrio fountain, as tickets are now computer generated.

My big question is what time of year are you going to be here?

Will be there May 3rd. thanks for all of your advice.

Thanks you sooo much for those pictures. Makes it less ominous :D

• 1 month later...

and in relatively good shape,,but very hot,,,early July,,,and very crowded...so give it a shot,,but can always bail if not up to it,,or had enough...can buy water,,but bring own,and save..wear hat and sunscreen...remember ,,,small and uneven,,,and LOTs of stairs,,be forewarned...:D

Archived