family excursion ideas?

jchristie

I went to Cozumel in November 2011 with my 3 kids (16 yr old triplets) to Paradise Beach. We paid $2 for rental of 5 chairs and then $12 for the kids to have wristbands for the kids to use the water toys. The had snorkling free with the cost of the wristbands. Nothing spectacular but the kids enjoyed it. The beach was nice & clean. My kids had an awesome time. Then we hung out on the beach, ate a little and went back to our boat. It was farely inexpensive compared to the $250 we would have spent all one of the all inclusive beaches. Cab ride back & forth was about $20 each way.

We've enjoyed snorkeling at Chankanaab. It is part of the protected reef so that improves the snorkeling versus just snorkeling off a sandy beach. They have nice palapas with chairs and some wave-type loungers for the beach.

The admission fee is nominal and includes access to the entire park (beach/trails/etc.). They have an open-air restaurant and a couple of bars, snorkel equipment and locker rentals available.

They don't have all of the water toys like some of the other resorts, but they do have snorkeling and snuba in a relaxed quiet environment. (At the end of the beach, there are some hammocks hidden away that have always been empty whenever we've been there like no one has wandered that far down the beach to find them!)

Looking for good ideas for an excursion for our family. It will be 5 of us - me, my hubby, and our 3 kids (13, 12, & 10) - they want beach and snorkeling - any ideas?

I went to Cozumel in November 2011 with my 3 kids (16 yr old triplets) to Paradise Beach. We paid $2 for rental of 5 chairs and then $12 for the kids to have wristbands for the kids to use the water toys. The had snorkling free with the cost of the wristbands. Nothing spectacular but the kids enjoyed it. The beach was nice & clean. My kids had an awesome time. Then we hung out on the beach, ate a little and went back to our boat. It was farely inexpensive compared to the $250 we would have spent all one of the all inclusive beaches. Cab ride back & forth was about $20 each way.

I agree paradise is a great place for children that age, to clarify its $2 per lounger, and $12 per child to get the wristbands. In addition they do ask that you spend $10 per person on food and drink which IMHO is a fair price. We took our children there a couple of times in 06-07 and they where about your childrens age. A few weeks ago we arrived in Cozumel and I insisted on taking my children on an island tour for them to learn and see the island and its people, which included stops at Coconuts, chen rio, the natural bridge, Rusta, and the rest of the day we spent at Mr Sancho's. Mr sanchos is very similar to Paradise beach in that they have the water activities as well as a new swimming pool, also have horseback riding, and atv tour. The beach is very large and no while we where in the dining area which is open we could not hear atv's. Its a great place for adults and children alike. It does differ from paradise in the fact that they offer an all inclusive pkg for adults and children, which helps plan on the budget and they could be free with drinks and food at will. They also served softdrinks in the can vs fountain soda at Paradise beach. If you chose not to enjoy the all inclusive they allow free entrance with loungers and chairs, rental of water toys including snorkel gear is the same $12 and they also I would think expect you soend some on food and drink but it was never mentioned to us. Both are great clean places to enjoy the day.

There are several different Dolphin experiences at Chakkanab. As I understand the cruise line offers a pretty tame one where you are in the water and the dolphins do tricks and swim around you. You can book on your own for the exact same thing for about a $70 per person difference (several years ago it was $169 pp on the ship vs $99 on own) We went thru Sherry with Cozumelinsider where we booked the "Royal Swim" you end up being pulled through the water by a dolphin holding on to their fins like water skiing wiht a doplhin. It was more money but figured you only do it once.I felt we got a better Dolphin experience then the people who had booked with the cruise line. My kids LOVED it. They have photographers which capture this on pictures and DVDs which you can buy afterwards- very pricey. Just make sure you schedule it a bit later in case your ship takes longer to disembark. Also if you book on own make sure it is refundable if your ship misses the port.

There are several different Dolphin experiences at Chakkanab. As I understand the cruise line offers a pretty tame one where you are in the water and the dolphins do tricks and swim around you. You can book on your own for the exact same thing for about a $70 per person difference (several years ago it was $169 pp on the ship vs $99 on own) We went thru Sherry with Cozumelinsider where we booked the "Royal Swim" you end up being pulled through the water by a dolphin holding on to their fins like water skiing wiht a doplhin. It was more money but figured you only do it once.I felt we got a better Dolphin experience then the people who had booked with the cruise line. My kids LOVED it. They have photographers which capture this on pictures and DVDs which you can buy afterwards- very pricey. Just make sure you schedule it a bit later in case your ship takes longer to disembark. Also if you book on own make sure it is refundable if your ship misses the port.

thanks soooo much for the info! I would love to be able to do this with the kids - I will check into it!

Archived