NCL Dawn vs Celebrity Summit to Bermuda

pinma

Has anyone been on both cruises? I'm looking to decide between these 2 for our next family cruise. I know the cruise lines are very different (more traditional vs more casual) and we would set our expectations accordingly. I am looking to compare the two on a range of points though.

To put us in context as cruisers: We've cruised twice. Once on the Celebrity Millenium. Once on the Enchantment of the Seas. Of those with an opinion (the 12 year old doesn't care so long as he can eat and swim), we all preferred our on-board experience with Celebrity. Those 3 are a 10 year old and two 39 year olds. We'd be cruising with 2 children who do NOT like children's programs, most likely in July. Driving to either port.

How 'nice' are the ships? Does one feel old vs new? Is one kept up better than the other? Does one feel more crowded than the other?

How do they compare in terms of space outside? Do either have open air aft dining? Nice large pool deck with plenty of loungers? A place to walk? A quiet place to lounge outside away from the noise of the pool deck?

How is the quality of the food vs expectations? ie, I'd expect different good on each but is each GOOD for what it is?

How is service on each? Particularly room stewards and in the dining room?

How do the 'standard' inside and oceanview cabins compare?

How does entertainment (shows and activities) compare?

What hidden costs might I be missing?

We like the idea of drink packages - smoothie packages for the kids, wine package for me, beer package for DH - on Celebrity. What might we find on NCL?

Many thanks to anyone who has insight for us :-)

If your kids like to swim (you mentioned that one does), then the Dawn might be better. The Summit has one outdoor pool (for everyone) and an indoor pool only for aduts (strictly enforced). I assume the Millie was the same.

Have you considered either the Gem or Jewel? One of them does some trips to Bermuda (I think the Gem). That ship would have much more for kids (pool-wise) than either of the other ships.

Also, if you will be busy during the days in Bermuda, you might find Freestyle dining much more suited to your family than set dining times. And there are many more dining choices on NCL (free and extra cost).

As for the beer package on X, make sure they still have it if that will be a factor. They've introduced two other beverage programs (Classic and Premium) that include all drinks within certain price ranges. I'm still debating whether to get one since I'll be off the ship (and away from their bars LOL) for most of our three days in Bermuda.

Good point on the number of pools! We were on the Millie in AK so they pretty much had the pool to themselves (not that they swam often LOL!). Never tied to get them into the Thalassotherapy pool, although they may have been allowing kids in on that sailing.

With my son's allergies freestyle cruising is intimidating but, I assume, they would give us advice on how dine most safely.

I should mention that Celebrity has a form of anytime dining called Select Dining, where part of the MDR is set aside for cruisers to show up when they are ready. I think it is capacity controlled, however, so you may want to check for your specific cruise if that is of interest to you on Summit. Personally, I think it's good plan both for Bermuda and when traveling with children, it gives you much more flexibility. We have sailed both NCL and Celebrity in recent months (not those particular ships, however) and they are very different. NCL is livelier, more energetic, and VERY casual with no required formal nights and almost no dress code. Shorts, jeans, t shirts, baseball caps --- all are fine in at least one of the MDRs and most of the specialty restaurants. You won't see that on Celebrity, we found that the formal nights were observed and people dressed nicely even on the casual nights. There is no right or wrong answer on this, only you know which style would work best for your family. I'm sure the staff on both ships is equipped to deal with food allergies, so that shouldn't be a problem. We found the service excellent on both lines. NCL had better entertainment ---- our Celebrity cruise was more sedate and quieter in the lat evenings. But, in our opinion anyway, Celebrity had much better food in the MDRs, although we liked having the choice of multiple specialties on NCL. Anyway, we like both lines and would sail either, but we did find them quite different.

Thank you! It's reassuring that they both do what they set out to do well.

We loved dressing for dinner on the Millie in AK but there were nights when I didn't want to spend the time getting all dolled up. I think we could enjoy both styles.

My husband and recently returned from a cruise on the Dawn, I would recommend that you sail any ship but the Dawn. While we were out we only had 2 of the 4 engines operating, one was fixed by the end of the cruise , but we only went to 2 of the 5 planned ports. There were water leaks, elevators not working and a fire before the cruise ended.The Dawn was not up to the standards I expect from NCL

I have read on these boards that the Dawn is going into drydock in May, before she starts her summer Bermuda season. Hopefully NCL will be able to address the engine and maintenance issues then.

Thank you! It's reassuring that they both do what they set out to do well.

We loved dressing for dinner on the Millie in AK but there were nights when I didn't want to spend the time getting all dolled up. I think we could enjoy both styles.

We have not been on either ship but we have been on both lines to Bermuda. We found that although different, both lines worked well and if you think you can enjoy both styles, you probably will.:)

We did not find that having to get back to the ship for a set dining time on X was any different than being on a cruise with multiple ports and having to get back for the ship's departure time.;)

Archived