Lindquist beach / Smith Bay Park

CABcruisin

I had been trying to find recent information about this beach before my cruise, but most of the post I found were from a few years ago. So, now that I have been to the beach I thought I would share my thoughts about it, incase others are looking for info.

We disembarked from our ship in Crown Bay at 8:30, and when we stepped onto the sand I checked my watch and it was 9:30, so it took us an hour to get a taxi (van) and make the way through morning traffic to the beach. The taxi driver took us right into the park, and dropped us in the parking lot. It cost $11.00 PP for the taxi and $2.00 PP to get into the park. The "ticket booth" at the entrance was a picnic table under a tent, and there was a trailer along the back of the beach which seemed to serve as the base for the park employees. While we knew they were around, other than the person at the front entrance, we didn't really see any park employees. There was a lifeguard stand but we didn't see a lifeguard.

My first impression of the beach was that it was much smaller than I was expecting. Basically, there is a dirt parking area, a row of trees, then the beach. The beach was approximately 15'-20' deep from the trees to the water and there were picnic tables dotted about under the trees. The sand was powdery white and very clean. There was a little bit of dried leaves and pine needle but was very clean to sit on. There are wild chickens and a rooster wandering around, which wasn't a problem as long as you aren't afraid of chickens (like my Mum, but that's another story...).

As is reported in all posts, there is no food or amenities available. There is a port-a-potty which I didn't use but my Mum did, and she said it was "fine" (as fine as port-a-potties get). We had taken food with us from the ship (some fruit and buns from the breakfast buffet) and water and that was enough for us (we were only there for a few hours).

When we arrived the weather was very cloudy and sprinkling with rain. There was one other couple sitting in deck chairs (obvioulsy not cruise PAX if they had chairs), then one other couple followed us in. It took us a few minutes to walk the lenght of the beach while deciding where to sit (decided on under the trees by a picnic table). After a short while the clouds broke up and the sun did come out. By mid morning more people had arrived, so by the time we left there were about 15 people (including us) on the beach. Everyone seemed to be local people, or at least people staying on the island, not cruise ship PAX (by the fact they drove and had their own chairs). Everyone was well spread out. There were lots of shady areas under the trees and sunny areas on the sand.

The water was beautiful and clear and very shallow. The bottom was sandy in the middle of the beach. Towards the right side there was a big patch of sea grass. There was a dark patch on the left side which I assume was grass but I didn't swim in that area so don't know for sure. There was a buoyed area and signs saying to swim within that area. I had taken my own snorkeling gear with me but had a problem with the snorkel, so only tried it for a few minutes before giving up. I didn't see any fish. Within the buoyed area there really wasn't any good snorkeling (just sea grass and sand), you would need to go beyond the buoys.

I have posted my photos of the beach here: https://picasaweb.google.com/cbennett62/EasternCaribbeanCruise2011?feat=directlink

The Lindquist pics are about half way down. There are some panoramic pics and 2 videos of the beach at the bottom.

When we left, it was a very short walk back to the road where we stood for no more than 7-8 minutes before a taxi came along and took us back to the ship. (the taxi driver who dropped us off assured us taxis would be driving by all day so there would be no problem getting back. He was right). The return trip was much faster than going in the morning. We were back in plenty of time to do some shopping before we had to return to the ship.

All in all, we loved our day at Lindquist beach. We wanted a less 'touristy' beach with few crowds and this definatey was it. We were fine with no chairs to sit on and no concession stand. It might nor suit everyone, but we loved it. It was very clean and open, and we felt safe the whole time. It felt like visitng a local park like we would find at home. We would definately go back.

I had been trying to find recent information about this beach before my cruise, but most of the post I found were from a few years ago. So, now that I have been to the beach I thought I would share my thoughts about it, incase others are looking for info.

We disembarked from our ship in Crown Bay at 8:30, and when we stepped onto the sand I checked my watch and it was 9:30, so it took us an hour to get a taxi (van) and make the way through morning traffic to the beach. The taxi driver took us right into the park, and dropped us in the parking lot. It cost $11.00 PP for the taxi and $2.00 PP to get into the park. The "ticket booth" at the entrance was a picnic table under a tent, and there was a trailer along the back of the beach which seemed to serve as the base for the park employees. While we knew they were around, other than the person at the front entrance, we didn't really see any park employees. There was a lifeguard stand but we didn't see a lifeguard.

My first impression of the beach was that it was much smaller than I was expecting. Basically, there is a dirt parking area, a row of trees, then the beach. The beach was approximately 15'-20' deep from the trees to the water and there were picnic tables dotted about under the trees. The sand was powdery white and very clean. There was a little bit of dried leaves and pine needle but was very clean to sit on. There are wild chickens and a rooster wandering around, which wasn't a problem as long as you aren't afraid of chickens (like my Mum, but that's another story...).

As is reported in all posts, there is no food or amenities available. There is a port-a-potty which I didn't use but my Mum did, and she said it was "fine" (as fine as port-a-potties get). We had taken food with us from the ship (some fruit and buns from the breakfast buffet) and water and that was enough for us (we were only there for a few hours).

When we arrived the weather was very cloudy and sprinkling with rain. There was one other couple sitting in deck chairs (obvioulsy not cruise PAX if they had chairs), then one other couple followed us in. It took us a few minutes to walk the lenght of the beach while deciding where to sit (decided on under the trees by a picnic table). After a short while the clouds broke up and the sun did come out. By mid morning more people had arrived, so by the time we left there were about 15 people (including us) on the beach. Everyone seemed to be local people, or at least people staying on the island, not cruise ship PAX (by the fact they drove and had their own chairs). Everyone was well spread out. There were lots of shady areas under the trees and sunny areas on the sand.

The water was beautiful and clear and very shallow. The bottom was sandy in the middle of the beach. Towards the right side there was a big patch of sea grass. There was a dark patch on the left side which I assume was grass but I didn't swim in that area so don't know for sure. There was a buoyed area and signs saying to swim within that area. I had taken my own snorkeling gear with me but had a problem with the snorkel, so only tried it for a few minutes before giving up. I didn't see any fish. Within the buoyed area there really wasn't any good snorkeling (just sea grass and sand), you would need to go beyond the buoys.

I have posted my photos of the beach here: https://picasaweb.google.com/cbennett62/EasternCaribbeanCruise2011?feat=directlink

The Lindquist pics are about half way down. There are some panoramic pics and 2 videos of the beach at the bottom.

When we left, it was a very short walk back to the road where we stood for no more than 7-8 minutes before a taxi came along and took us back to the ship. (the taxi driver who dropped us off assured us taxis would be driving by all day so there would be no problem getting back. He was right). The return trip was much faster than going in the morning. We were back in plenty of time to do some shopping before we had to return to the ship.

All in all, we loved our day at Lindquist beach. We wanted a less 'touristy' beach with few crowds and this definatey was it. We were fine with no chairs to sit on and no concession stand. It might nor suit everyone, but we loved it. It was very clean and open, and we felt safe the whole time. It felt like visitng a local park like we would find at home. We would definately go back.

I agree with all you stated.

we returned from the island 3-6-11 and would add that they do have chairs to rent in the trailer you mentioned. but no where to buy food. plenty of pinic tables so pack a lite lunch. You could also stop in red hook in the little market and buy stuf and then catch a taxi going in the direction it's just a another 1.5 miles more down the road from redhook.

• 3 weeks later...
i had been trying to find recent information about this beach before my cruise, but most of the post i found were from a few years ago. So, now that i have been to the beach i thought i would share my thoughts about it, incase others are looking for info.

We disembarked from our ship in crown bay at 8:30, and when we stepped onto the sand i checked my watch and it was 9:30, so it took us an hour to get a taxi (van) and make the way through morning traffic to the beach. The taxi driver took us right into the park, and dropped us in the parking lot. It cost $11.00 pp for the taxi and $2.00 pp to get into the park. The "ticket booth" at the entrance was a picnic table under a tent, and there was a trailer along the back of the beach which seemed to serve as the base for the park employees. While we knew they were around, other than the person at the front entrance, we didn't really see any park employees. There was a lifeguard stand but we didn't see a lifeguard.

My first impression of the beach was that it was much smaller than i was expecting. Basically, there is a dirt parking area, a row of trees, then the beach. The beach was approximately 15'-20' deep from the trees to the water and there were picnic tables dotted about under the trees. The sand was powdery white and very clean. There was a little bit of dried leaves and pine needle but was very clean to sit on. There are wild chickens and a rooster wandering around, which wasn't a problem as long as you aren't afraid of chickens (like my mum, but that's another story...).

As is reported in all posts, there is no food or amenities available. There is a port-a-potty which i didn't use but my mum did, and she said it was "fine" (as fine as port-a-potties get). We had taken food with us from the ship (some fruit and buns from the breakfast buffet) and water and that was enough for us (we were only there for a few hours).

When we arrived the weather was very cloudy and sprinkling with rain. There was one other couple sitting in deck chairs (obvioulsy not cruise pax if they had chairs), then one other couple followed us in. It took us a few minutes to walk the lenght of the beach while deciding where to sit (decided on under the trees by a picnic table). After a short while the clouds broke up and the sun did come out. By mid morning more people had arrived, so by the time we left there were about 15 people (including us) on the beach. Everyone seemed to be local people, or at least people staying on the island, not cruise ship pax (by the fact they drove and had their own chairs). Everyone was well spread out. There were lots of shady areas under the trees and sunny areas on the sand.

The water was beautiful and clear and very shallow. The bottom was sandy in the middle of the beach. Towards the right side there was a big patch of sea grass. There was a dark patch on the left side which i assume was grass but i didn't swim in that area so don't know for sure. There was a buoyed area and signs saying to swim within that area. I had taken my own snorkeling gear with me but had a problem with the snorkel, so only tried it for a few minutes before giving up. I didn't see any fish. Within the buoyed area there really wasn't any good snorkeling (just sea grass and sand), you would need to go beyond the buoys.

I have posted my photos of the beach here: https://picasaweb.google.com/cbennett62/easterncaribbeancruise2011?feat=directlink

the lindquist pics are about half way down. There are some panoramic pics and 2 videos of the beach at the bottom.

All in all, we loved our day at lindquist beach. We wanted a less 'touristy' beach with few crowds and this definatey was it. We were fine with no chairs to sit on and no concession stand. It might nor suit everyone, but we loved it. It was very clean and open, and we felt safe the whole time. It felt like visitng a local park like we would find at home. We would definately go back.

really helpfull post thanks for sharing

• 2 years later...

Sapphire Beach is our all time favorite.

Sad you can no longer rent chairs and that it's becoming private (condo no longer a hotel)

We have been to Secret Harbor, Magen's Bay, Coki.

Now on the hunt for a new beach and came upon your review.

Nice job....Love your pictures....

Lindquist beach doesn't look touristy at all.

Which we like.

"Sapphire Beach is our all time favorite.

Sad you can no longer rent chairs and that it's becoming private (condo no longer a hotel)"

This isn't exactly the case. It has always been a condo hotel. The problem is ongoing issues between the condo association and the owner of the common property.

As to the original review from 3 years ago... That description is still pretty much the same. The Magens Bay Authority has been responsible for making changes as they can afford them. Some day there will be a bar/restaurant, chairs and showers. Stay tuned.

As to picnics, most restaurants will do food to go. Gourmet Gallery at both Crown Bay and Havensight can fix you up, too...