Room sizes compared to hotel?

If it is a fold-up chair, it will fit in any room.

If you do find that inconvenient, I believe you can have the room steward store it for you (likely in a nearby housekeeping area) and retrieve it when necessary.

The only American motel chain that can give you any idea of the size constriction is Microtel, however even these are about 50% bigger.

However, I don't think in terms of how small the cabin is, what strikes me is how much space we WASTE in our normal rooms!

Yep I think this is the best example, although the last time I stayed in a microtel, it wasn't much bigger than a cruise cabin (well, the bathroom was, but not the room itself).

Enough room to get changed in, but I really would never want to have to been in a non-suite room with more than 2 people.

Absolutly GO! You don't spend a lot of time in your cabin anyhow. Our first cruise was an inside cabin with 2 adults and 2 kids (small ones though) - we loved it!

Lexi

A bad cruise in an interior stateroom still remains infinitely better then a good week at work. :)

Michael

I cruised with my 3 kids (at the time all ages 15+, so essentially adult size and privacy needs) in a normal (read: cheap/small) inside cabin, upper & lower bunk configuration. Since all we did in there was bathe, dress & sleep, it was perfectly fine. Granted some time has passed, but I really don't remember anything negative about the experience.

I will have to bring a wheelchair with me on the cruise. I don't use one hardly ever - but I am told cruises have alot of walking - so just in case I have a bad day, or over do it, I am planning on taking a wheelchair.

Which room should i pick if I have to store a wheelchair?

Most ships have handicap rooms in most classes although there do seem to be a lot more of them interior than balcony. They are about 50% larger than similar room for same class. They have a number of features intended for people with significant physical issues including roll-in shower (or fold down seat in shower) and lots of grab bars in the bathroom. Also "call for help" buttons and pull cords

On our first RCI cruise we gave up an inside HC for a balcony gauranty (for only $60pp more than the inside) and while we really appreciated the balcony the wheelchair my wife uses was a real hassle. It is a folding junior size and it would not fit through the door. Fortunately she can walk some so she would get out of it in the hallway and I could fold it and bring it in. But then it barely fit between the wall and the end of the bed or else was in the way getting to the bathroom.

This last one we had an HC baclcony and it made a huge difference. The door had an electric opener that gave her the ability to come and go as she pleased. Although she did not use her chair much in the cabin she could have as there were ramps to the bathroom and the balcony. This did pose a minor issue in that when walking around the floor was uneven. She really did appreciate the seat in the shower.

If someone is going to be using a wheelchair onboard these cabins are essential. For occasional or "just in case" wheelchair use it would problably be best to go with the standard cabin and stow the wheelchair. Especially if someone else is with who can bring it in and out the door. The handicap cabins are always in demand and for someone who needs one it can mean the difference between taking a particular itinerary or not.

I was just speaking to the access dept with royal. They suggested that I get a regular room (balcony, oceanview or interior) and that the wheel chair would fit in the room by the door when folded up.

This confuses me - when I look at any of the room pictures there is not space beside the door. On one side is the closet and the distance to the opposite wall is only the width of the doorway. That doesn't seem that it would not be a hinderance while going in/out of the room.

They do not have anywhere else on the ship to store it.

I would like the opinion of people that have been in the rooms on the adventure of the sea for any of the above class sizes.

Thank you.

We have always booked interior cabins (four of us: Me, DW, DS[15], DS[13] on our last cruise). The LOS rooms were the smallest ever. Not a problem. We figured out that we spent about one waking hour a day in that room. The rest of the time we were enjoying the ship, the ocean, the people and everything else a cruise has to offer.

Click on this picture to see our interior with the pullmans down. Not roomy but efficient.

SDC14112.jpg.7ff52e5be1b399ffa5f258cf3db1c1c5.jpg

Archived