Does NCL still do PNP's *or* cribs?

thatlauragirl

I apologize if this is a redundant question, but I searched and couldn't find an answer. We're going on the NCL Sun in April with our 7 month old and I just called NCL to request a PNP. The rep took care of it and told me there would be a crib and highchair waiting for us. I'm not trying to be picky, but we would really rather use a PNP. Do I need to call back and specify?

Yes. There are a limited number of each, so if it matters to you, yes. You can get a PNP *or* a crib/highchair set. The crib takes up less room than the PNP, fwiw; it is the mini hotel size with metal bars, which I find easier to clean.

Yes. There are a limited number of each, so if it matters to you, yes. You can get a PNP *or* a crib/highchair set. The crib takes up less room than the PNP, fwiw; it is the mini hotel size with metal bars, which I find easier to clean.

Thanks for the info! If I could bug you with one more question, did you need to provide sheets for the crib? And is there any kind of bumper on them? It's the metal that actually worries me.

I know some folks bring sheets from home, either due to preference for the fabric, for "something that smells like home," or because they prefer a fitted sheet. The room steward makes up the crib just like they make up the beds each day, and in both my experience and in reading these boards, I know they use a twin flat sheet securely wrapped and tucked around the mattress. This worked great for us. Our daughter at 1 year old was totally safe with such sheeting, especially with us sleeping right next to her, and, much younger, she would have been too immobile (especially in her sleep sack!) to get into any trouble with it at all. I believe we brought our own cozy fleece blanket, for familiarity and because we were not sure how chilly the room would be.

There is no bumper on the cribs, but remember that the studies show it is nearly impossible for a child to hit their head hard enough on a crib slat to cause any injury, or get injured by getting a limb stuck (in cribs that meet the current safety regulations for slat width). As a result, use of crib bumpers is discouraged by the AAP, CPSC, etc. http://babyproducts.about.com/od/recallsandsafety/a/bumpersafety.htm And, metal is easier to disinfect and keep clean than wood.

Ultimately, your call! Happy to help with any further clarification if needed ...

Oh, and though I don't think you will want the highchair, you can certainly ask your room steward to snag you one later in the cruise if you need it. They just get one from the buffet or dining room back stash. I even know one family who asked one be brought and removed each day with room service, but that seemed like a pretty onerous request for the staff to me ...

this is exactly what I was wondering! We are booked in 2 months on the Pearl and they said "crib" and highchair. We are traveling with my 8 month old. Would you happen to have a picture of the crib/highchair combo? I can't quite picture it. I just assumed it was a PNP. Thanks for the tips!

Other people have pictures of the actual one, I'm sure. I might, but it would be hard to find (no time to organize photos, kwim). Instead, here is a picture of a close if not identical mini crib for sale, to at least give you the idea: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11271374

You can see it is narrower than a PNP, which for a standard size cabin, was a good thing. :)

Have a great time!

Jenn

Archived